IGNORED

VAR

reddoh

2 hours ago, Roe said:

This came up a little while ago as I wasn't fully aware of the rule either.

It doesn't matter if the pass was backwards, it's because the Wolves player that received it was ahead of the ball.

I wish I'd have seen this because it sounds weird. I was watching the 4-4 bore draw on Sky at the time.

What happened, was he standing in an offside position for the corner, and came back to collect a short one?

This is puzzling me.

11 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I wish I'd have seen this because it sounds weird. I was watching the 4-4 bore draw on Sky at the time.

What happened, was he standing in an offside position for the corner, and came back to collect a short one?

This is puzzling me.

He took the a short corner, and was running away from the goal when the ball was played back to him. So the ball went backwards, and when he received the ball he was in an onside position. But at the moment the ball was played, he was in a (very arguably) offside position. 

2 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

He took the a short corner, and was running away from the goal when the ball was played back to him. So the ball went backwards, and when he received the ball he was in an onside position. But at the moment the ball was played, he was in an (very arguably) offside position. 

Gotcha. Thanks. VAR is a joke.

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

He took the a short corner, and was running away from the goal when the ball was played back to him. So the ball went backwards, and when he received the ball he was in an onside position. But at the moment the ball was played, he was in a (very arguably) offside position. 

So ball went backwards?....in which case cannot be offside.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Wow. That’s news to be. I thought the ball had to be played forwards. Is that new?

It's been that way all the way through modern football, but every time it comes up a few people are surprised.

It seems like there were a few generations who got taught a simplified version of it they've never unlearned.

You will regularly notice pundits, managers and professionals get this wrong from now on and it will annoy you!

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It's been that way all the way through modern football, but every time it comes up a few people are surprised.

It seems like there were a few generations who got taught a simplified version of it they've never unlearned.

You will regularly notice pundits, managers and professionals get this wrong from now on and it will annoy you!

To be fair this situation is very, very rare. Generally when the ball is played backwards the receiver is behind the ball meaning that they can't be onside meaning that I think people associate a backwards pass with being unable to be offside. 

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

To be fair this situation is very, very rare. Generally when the ball is played backwards the receiver is behind the ball meaning that they can't be onside meaning that I think people associate a backwards pass with being unable to be offside. 

It happens enough that most fans would have encountered it a few times before - usually around balls drilled through the box level or cut back, sometimes around short corners.  It's come up on here at least once in the last six months.

What is surprising is the number of people who have this "ball moves forwards" form of words in their head having been taught it even though it's never been part of the laws. 

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

It was and deemed not violent conduct

On the disallowed goal to me Fred pushes CA into Williams so how does VAR allow one push but not another 

For me this is the exact purpose of the pitch side monitor, as we may have ended up with 2 completely different interpretations of the "foul" or not. VAR should ask the ref to have another look and make up their own mind. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

It was and deemed not violent conduct

On the disallowed goal to me Fred pushes CA into Williams so how does VAR allow one push but not another 

Both have one thing in common 

Goes in Man Utd favour 

Thought that might of ended with VAR

but still need to look after the big boys

Jesz. Just saw the disallowed Chelsea goal. 

All that is wrong with VAR... the goal maybe justifiably VAR  disallowed but there was a push from behind on the Chelsea player first. So penalty.

Should have just given them the goal as the Ref did without all the faffing about. 

4 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Once again VAR take away a good goal. How much tolerance is there with this line they draw. Someone was saying 30cm which if true is basically a players foot. 

The maximum margin for error depending on the speed the player is moving is up to 38 cm, which is over a foot, but that is someone running at full pelt, so likely to be less than that, but even so it cannot be claimed that it is consistent as the margin for error will be different for every decision so the supposed consistency is just not their for me. 

Archived