IGNORED

Friday night - hearts and minds

ciderwithtommy

Is it just me, or does Friday feel really important? A win and surely we are all buying into a big run in, pulling together, big away followings etc.

defeat, could we even see more Johnson out talk? Possibly be out of the play off places and back into negativity?

Feels crucial to me, maybe like Wolves home 2 years ago. Exciting

Definitely a massive game! 
4 or 6 points from these next 2 home games will have us in the top 6 going into 2 massive away games, which will determine whether we are challenging for top 2 or top 6 finish. 

From the next 4 games...

12pts - serious top 2 contenders

9+Pts - in with a real chance of top 2 and likely comfortably placed in top 6. 

6-9pts - serious top 6 contenders

4/5 Pts - continuing a top 6 challenge

less than 4 pts and we’ll be looking unlikely to secure a top 6 finish. 

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Is it just me, or does Friday feel really important? A win and surely we are all buying into a big run in, pulling together, big away followings etc.

defeat, could we even see more Johnson out talk? Possibly be out of the play off places and back into negativity?

You’re joking, you think we might get more Johnson Out nonsense, after the run and January window we’ve had?

28 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

4 or 6 points from these next 2 home games will have us in the top 6 going into 2 massive away games, which will determine whether we are challenging for top 2 or top 6 finish. 

From the next 4 games...

I think you’re placing way too much importance on the four games.

We could easily take one point from them... and then win the next six in a row after it.

Your post is exactly the methodology that gets people all hysterical (and I’m not saying this is you, by the way, as I understand your rationale!) after three or four dodgy results.

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Perennial bottlers - in all honesty it is "what we do",,,and most likely to be so.

? That's not the case again.

49 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’re joking, you think we might get more Johnson Out nonsense, after the run and January window we’ve had?

100%. Still plenty that are connected to this football club that still don’t think LJ is the right man to take the club foward.

43 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

We could easily take one point from them... and then win the next six in a row after it.

Your post is exactly the methodology that gets people all hysterical (and I’m not saying this is you, by the way, as I understand your rationale!) after three or four dodgy results.

Totally disagree with you there. If we get in a bad run of results, we can't "easily" turn it around. Look at the last two seasons for evidence. 2018-19 saw us get into a great position with what 7 wins on the bounce at around this time, but when the wheels came off, we struggled to find our form again, and couldn't get the 6 or so wins needed to secure play offs.

You're over simplifying things if you're saying all games are equal. There's so much nuance involved in football and the word I often come back to is momentum. You can't manufacture it, but any player will know it. When you're buzzing, you can do anything on the pitch. When you're in a rut, a simple pass is harder that it should be. Pressure.

So why is Friday important? Because we need say 8 more wins to secure top 6. And we're currently on a roll. And when you're buzzing you're more likely to win games, so this represents a great opportunity to keep the roll going in the face of some, on paper, very difficult fixtures.

41 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Yes, I’d agree with that. A bad run over the next 4-5 games wouldn’t finish our season - but a good run over them would have us in a wonderful & exciting position! 

Of course, we could win the next 4 and lose the remaining games after that..! As could anyone. 

Nothing is decided in February, of course, but I do think this month is a massive indicator of what we can hope for from this season, come May. 

26 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Perennial bottlers - in all honesty it is "what we do",,,and most likely to be so.

? That's not the case again.

I honestly don’t think we have bottled anything in recent years. 
Over achieving and falling short/not being able to maintain it, is very different to bottling it..!

This January window has shown we are serious & things feel good right now.
Continue that momentum through the next few games and who knows where it could take us, come May.  

I reckon we need ten more wins to guarantee top six or even top two .

Statistically it doesn’t matter where we get them but psychologically losing to a promotion contender sets doubts in the minds as to whether we are quite  good enough and this can have an effect on the following performances.

Even worse if we lose to a lower placed team with bugger all to play for .

This is why this division is so tough because any team ( Wigan ) can beat any team at the top ( Leeds - snigger ) .

What will count is the mental and physical strength to succeed. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I wouldn’t agree with the sentiment, but I could see it happening. If we lose, against a team who play 120 minutes yesterday etc etc I think questions will return. This feels like a game that means more than 3 points

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Statistically it doesn’t matter where we get them but psychologically losing to a promotion contender sets doubts in the minds as to whether we are quite  good enough and this can have an effect on the following performances.

This is why this division is so tough because any team ( Wigan ) can beat any team at the top ( Leeds - snigger ) .

Was waiting for the "punch on the nose quote" to come out .... 

We will lose to some bottom sides just as we will roll over teams we on paper shouldn't one things for sure itll be exciting just hope we can sustain a promo push this time 

Think it feels more important than recent home games, on the back of 2 decent away wins, our home form is not the  best and that needs to change especially for a top 2 finish, new players in the squad and after all that it's the sort of game we don't show up in !! 2-0 to Birmingham it is ☹☹

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I think there is an edge to it due to two main reasons:

• We are visibly back in the promotion race
  • We have 3 exciting signings that could make an appearance

This. The January signings have been a right old shot in the arm for us it feels. Hopefully the players are as excited too and can translate this boost into much better home form as that will be key if we can also maintain our excellent away results. 

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Hopefully less than 10 wins because looking at remaining fixtures that will be a stretch! 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

This. The January signings have been a right old shot in the arm for us it feels. Hopefully the players are as excited too and can translate this boost into much better home form as that will be key if we can also maintain our excellent away results. 

Agree mate, and that's why the January window, as tricky as it is can be, can actually be crucial.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Hopefully less than 10 wins because looking at remaining fixtures that will be a stretch! 

Surely less, if we get 10 and a couple of draws that'll probably be enough for autos.

25 points most would say to get play offs. 7 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats or something like that looks much more achievable.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Surely less, if we get 10 and a couple of draws that'll probably be enough for autos.

25 points most would say to get play offs. 7 wins, 4 draws, 5 defeats or something like that looks much more achievable.

Well I think we were in this exact same position last season (same position, same points??), and we won the next game.

So we'd got ourselves only needing maybe 6 wins and 4 draws...

We managed 4 wins and 5 draws, and watched as Derby grabbed 6th.

Please not again...

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

From the next 4 games...

Going into One massive away game and a massive home game. 

COYRs

Archived