IGNORED

Opposition players

Red Army 75

Carrying on from up the city’s thread on Rooney . Got me thinking about opposition players that have impressed you and stood out . For me it was Sergio Aguero also John Salako on loan for Swansea and bagged a hat trick against us . And Dave Smith for gillingham who eventually signed for us . Obviously there has been many fantastic players who have played against us . But you remember certain players. Who’s yours 

Yep. Remember the Dave Smith game before we signed him. Tore us apart. 

Best player I saw face us was Stan Collymore. 
Not the Forest game. When he was at Southend. 
We had an away game there on a midweek, he was absolutely outstanding. It was literally like man against boys. I’ve not seen one man so single handedly stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch since. 

Off the top of my head, the ones that spring to mind are....

Ruud Gullit, in the twilight of his career, in a pre-season friendly Vs Chelsea. Different class. 

Lua-Lua for Colchester, tore us apart. 

Stan Collymore for Forest. Lost 4-1. Possibly the most lethal & unplayable player I’ve seen against us. 

For some reason Richard Wright in nets for Ipswich in an away game under Ward stands out in my memory. Can't believe he had that much to do, since I think we lost 0-3.

Also recall Peter Beagrie ripping us apart at Bradford in Benny's first game.

Neither might be actually true due to old age and cider.

33 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ruud Gullit, in the twilight of his career, in a pre-season friendly Vs Chelsea. Different class. 

Stan Collymore for Forest. Lost 4-1. Possibly the most lethal & unplayable player I’ve seen against us. 

Agreed. Lua-Lua and as previously mentioned Leon Brittan. Both were outstanding and received a standing ovation. I'm not sure whether all clubs show their respect with the ovation but I do like it when the AG faithful display their appreciation in this way. 

What's nice about those two is they were not big name players.

24 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Samuel Eto'o. Mallorca. Pre-season friendly in 2003. He was simply unplayable.

Got a hat trick didn't he? Was unbelievable that day.

The other thing that stands out from that game, was the fact that despite getting absolutely walloped, we actually played really well and got a few goals!

Most recent performance at the Gate for me was Jack Butland in goal for Stoke - we were one down from memory and had played total shite in first half - then absolutely battered them in second half, Butland had eight bloody arms in that half and we just couldn't get past him. I'm still amazed that guy hasn't gone to Premiership yet.

39 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

My first ever game

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

Best player I saw face us was Stan Collymore. 
Not the Forest game. When he was at Southend. 
We had an away game there on a midweek, he was absolutely outstanding. It was literally like man against boys. I’ve not seen one man so single handedly stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch since. 

If its the game I am thinking of, then Andy Cole scored our equaliser, Collymore got their goal.

Memorable for me, as stood in the away end whilst someone from outside the ground was lobbing bricks into the away end.

Archived