IGNORED

Opposition players

Red Army 75

Watching Arsenal select at FGR. Lad called Kristoffer Olsson. Absolutely outstanding. Best midfield performance I've seen since watching Zidane in Turin.

Remember trying to get the Club interested. He ended up at Brentford's first team..FC Midjytland...now still only 24 and playing in Russia's Super league.

Class player with superb eye.

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Graham kavanagh. Both when he was at Cardiff and Stoke. Always played well against us. Mind you he was good against everyone. Surprised he never made it higher than he did although he had one season in the Premier league with Wigan but was loaned out the following year. 

Despite him coming back from a serious injury and approaching 40, we were lucky to get to see Zlatan Ibrahimovic before he retired. I know he's still going but I doubt he'll play against us again. 

That was Zlatan's last goal in English football as well.

Eto and Sno defo on the friendly fixtures. Collymore though in that Forest game, what a absolute talent that lad had potentially.  Did he also play v us season before when he was at Southend on loan? Jackis home debut (2-2)? 

A long time ago. Alex Stepney in goal for Millwall stopped everything we, including Big John Atyeo, could throw at him.

City crowd clapped him off and a while later, few months maybe, not sure, he went to Man U and European Cup winner.

Another one was Paul Mariner up front for Plymouth Argyle. A real handful and brilliant in the air.

42 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A long time ago. Alex Stepney in goal for Millwall stopped everything we, including Big John Atyeo, could throw at him.

City crowd clapped him off and a while later, few months maybe, not sure, he went to Man U and European Cup winner.

Another one was Paul Mariner up front for Plymouth Argyle. A real handful and brilliant in the air.

You beat me to it re Alex Stepney in goal for Millwall, absolute blinder, saved everything we threw at him. Must have been a Man U scout present.

Also Jimmy Greaves. saw him at White Hart Lane when they beat us 2-0 in the Cup in 1967. he got both. Saw him many years later playing for Barnet at Bath City. Played in midfield, controlled the game and never left the centre circle.

Bobby Hutchinson , not long before we bought him, loved the guy as a player. Jimmy Rimmer always played well against us as did Steve Bull, David Kelly but I hated the last two. Steve Claridge always impressed, I think we were linked a few times

How about bang average players who had the best games of their lives against us or always seemed to score? Think the opposite to Danny Haynes against West Brom. 

I vaguely recalled a long hair goalkeeper for Cambridge having a blinder against us around the early 2000s. Looked it up and I believe it was Lionel Pérez (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1827676.stm). He was also in goal when we beat them 6-2 the year before. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Eto and Sno defo on the friendly fixtures. Collymore though in that Forest game, what a absolute talent that lad had potentially.  Did he also play v us season before when he was at Southend on loan? Jackis home debut (2-2)? 

Agree about Collymore in the Forest match. Absolutely immense. Are you sure it wasn’t Freddie Eastwood who tore us a strip for Southend. 
2 others who’ve stood out for me were Liam Brady and more recently Kevin De Bruyne. 

My most memorable oppo' player moment is not a stand out performance as such, though I do concur on Collymore for Forest in that 4-1.  Remember him applauding all 4 sides of the ground after we 'inspired'  his hat-trick.

But, it was mid 90's ish not long after Atyeo stand opening and before relegation, a game against West Brom. In the corner by the Dolman and one of their players blocked a stinging low cross with his thigh. He turned to the Atyeo rubbing his thigh, with an exaggerated pained look and mouthing 'ooh that really hurt'. Much laughter all around.  Always preferred those folks in the public eye whom show a bit of humour and don't take themselves too seriously.

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Luke Freeman, we stuffed Stevenage but everyone came out talking about him, best player on the pitch ! We signed him that summer.

Similarly, I well remember being blown away by Nicky Maynard, when we played Crewe one year. I remember thinking 'if only we had a player like that!' And then we did!

Will never forget Jabo Ibehre dominating Aden Flint a few times in our promotion season. For 44 games Flint was an immovable object but he just couldn’t handle Jabo.

Obviously all of Man City’s players (Mangala aside) but Bravo’s distribution and KDB’s engine were both superb.

8 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

For some reason Richard Wright in nets for Ipswich in an away game under Ward stands out in my memory. Can't believe he had that much to do, since I think we lost 0-3.

Also recall Peter Beagrie ripping us apart at Bradford in Benny's first game.

Neither might be actually true due to old age and cider.

This was true, I was there! That whole Ipswich team was really good. Kieron Dyer, David Johnson, James Scowcroft, Jamie Clapham, Tony Mowbray and yes Richard Wright pulled off some brilliant saves in that game. 

2 hours ago, AboveCat said:

Friendly against Manchester United and Mark Hughes. Remember giving him a world of abuse and then him scoring a free kick infront of the old east end....... he was quality.  My memory is shot but think it finished 3 - 3 :laugh:!! 

It was definitely 3-3 mate and Hughes did score a worldie - not sure it was a free kick - although you could be right!

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Earliest was Norwich keeper for years in 70s. Agree with Bull, Kelly, Evander Sno and would add one Michael Owen came on as a sub in pre-season friendly

Hope we're not going to add Bryan (yet  another assist) nor Bobby (what a goal) for Fulham v Huddersfield to this thread

Kevin Keelan MBE ? 

Sounds like a Gas signing . 

Sno for Ajax, was immense that game. 
Suarez in the same game. 
Hoddle playing sweeper for Swindon. 
kevin Phillips gave a master class in forward play for West Brom, his movement was different class & proved you don’t have to be a big lump to hold the ball up. ( Ishmael Miller same game to a lesser extent).
Kevin Doyle for Reading, again another great example of movement & touch. 

Richard Foster had a shot on his debut, I’m struggling after that. 

COYR

Archived