IGNORED

Opposition players

Red Army 75

19 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Season they got promoted to the Prem I thought he was unbelievable at the Gate. 

Absolutely. They absolutely battered us 2 -0 i think. We were chasing shadows all game...

at the opposite end of the spectrum Fenandinho's physicality really stood out. He looked and moved like a MMA fighter  - a different beast to your average Champo Dm.

51 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Carrying on from up the city’s thread on Rooney . Got me thinking about opposition players that have impressed you and stood out . For me it was Sergio Aguero also John Salako on loan for Swansea and bagged a hat trick against us . And Dave Smith for gillingham who eventually signed for us . Obviously there has been many fantastic players who have played against us . But you remember certain players. Who’s yours 

John Salako did, indeed, have a fantastic match, but he only scored two goals.

In recent years:

- Sahko Winger for Palace in EFL Cup 17/18

But youngsters who stood out who I thought might go far:

- Luke Garbutt (Colchester on loan from Everton) in 13/14 - 26 and still being loaned out!

- Jack Grealish and Jimmy Spencer (was at Cheltenham for a while) for Notts County in 13/14

- Jamie Allen for Rochdale (now Cov) in 14/15

- Freeman as mentioned abovr

- Michael Hector - Reading now Fulham 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yep. Remember the Dave Smith game before we signed him. Tore us apart. 

Best player I saw face us was Stan Collymore. 
Not the Forest game. When he was at Southend. 
We had an away game there on a midweek, he was absolutely outstanding. It was literally like man against boys. I’ve not seen one man so single handedly stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch since. 

He is without doubt the best player I have ever seen live. The way he appeared to glide across the turf seemingly without effort remains in my mind to this day. Colin Todd was the best defender I ever saw.

Always remember Newcastle at the Gate in the League Cup or whatever it was called back in the day, when Newcastle were challenging for the title.

Ginola was worth the entrance fee on his own, we got beat 5-0, could've been 10. Think he got subbed and got a standing ovation. He was almost beyond words.

21 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The bloke who always scored against us. Played for Wallsall in the play offs against us and scored if I remember. 

the best player I saw play against us was Jimmy Greaves. 

David Kelly?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Off the top of my head, the ones that spring to mind are....

Ruud Gullit, in the twilight of his career, in a pre-season friendly Vs Chelsea. Different class. 

Lua-Lua for Colchester, tore us apart. 

Stan Collymore for Forest. Lost 4-1. Possibly the most lethal & unplayable player I’ve seen against us. 

I was going to say all 3 of those. Gullit was sensational until ian baird tried to dismember him.

and lua lua got an ovation from the atyeo stand.

13 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Always remember Newcastle at the Gate in the League Cup or whatever it was called back in the day, when Newcastle were challenging for the title.

Ginola was worth the entrance fee on his own, we got beat 5-0, could've been 10. Think he got subbed and got a standing ovation. He was almost beyond words.

David Kelly?

That’s him!

30 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

David Kelly?

That’s David ‘ bloody ‘ Kelly you refer to .

Graham kavanagh. Both when he was at Cardiff and Stoke. Always played well against us. Mind you he was good against everyone. Surprised he never made it higher than he did although he had one season in the Premier league with Wigan but was loaned out the following year. 

Despite him coming back from a serious injury and approaching 40, we were lucky to get to see Zlatan Ibrahimovic before he retired. I know he's still going but I doubt he'll play against us again. 

David Kelly (Walsall & West Ham) and Stuart Pearson (Hull City, Manchester United and West Ham) always scored against us. Richard Sneekes (West Brom) used to make our midfielders look like they played in the Downs League but above all I go for a goalkeeper. Kevin Keelan of Norwich City always had a blinder at the Gate. In one game, which we lost1-0, he must have made nearly a dozen saves from Chris Garland alone. 

Man City aside not too many stand out to me. 

Think we may have won but the most threatening player I remember in my short time going was definitely Adama Traore. His end product wasn’t what it has been lately but never seen someone pick up the ball at the halfway line back to goal and turn defenders and be 5-7 yards past them by the time they turned to try and keep up. Unreal strength, balance and pace. 

Outside of him I am struggling to remember many others who stood out. Newcastle away I thought Jonjo Shelvey dominated us second half. He was a class above.

Always thought Cavaliero and Costa from Wolves were good. Add Neves to that too but didn’t think they singlehandedly beat us just part of good sides

Eto’o (Mallorca) and Suarez (Ajax) are the best I’ve seen at the Gate, the finishing from both was lethal. Think Eto’o was subbed at HT after scoring four first-half goals. 

Lua-Lua (Colchester) and Collymore (Forest) were both class in the same leagues as us at the time. Connolly (Wolves) also had a blinder. 

Archived