IGNORED

Opposition players

Red Army 75

As soon as I read that title, only one player immediately came to mind. Smudger!

To see someone with pace, skill and being able to cross the ball was a sight to behold.

I remember shouting out from the East End that TC should sign him. I'm not taking credit! He really was a joy to watch that day and duly delivered for us as well. 

To think that we're talking about one player from 35 years ago!  Dave Smith really did leave an impression that day with City fans. It would be nice to know what happened to him after he left football.

On 05/02/2020 at 18:39, Red Moseley said:

You beat me to it re Alex Stepney in goal for Millwall, absolute blinder, saved everything we threw at him. Must have been a Man U scout present.

Also Jimmy Greaves. saw him at White Hart Lane when they beat us 2-0 in the Cup in 1967. he got both. Saw him many years later playing for Barnet at Bath City. Played in midfield, controlled the game and never left the centre circle.

I also saw the Spurs away cup game. Five or six train loads of City fans there.

Mention of Greaves reminds me of an FA Youth cup semi final in 1959 although he didn't play in it.

City v Chelsea under 18.

City had Jantzen Derrick, Terry Bush, Lou Peters and Brian Clark as later first team stars.

Chelsea had Peter Bonetti, Terry Venables, Bobby Tambling, Allan Harris -Ron's brother, Bert Murray who all made it in the First Division and higher. There may have been others but I no longer gave the programme from the home leg.

Home game had 19,000 in Ashton Gate. We lost over two legs but a memorable game.

Sorry that if I've derailed the thread.

On 06/02/2020 at 20:42, cidered abroad said:

I also saw the Spurs away cup game. Five or six train loads of City fans there.

Mention of Greaves reminds me of an FA Youth cup semi final in 1959 although he didn't play in it.

City v Chelsea under 18.

City had Jantzen Derrick, Terry Bush, Lou Peters and Brian Clark as later first team stars.

Chelsea had Peter Bonetti, Terry Venables, Bobby Tambling, Allan Harris -Ron's brother, Bert Murray who all made it in the First Division and higher. There may have been others but I no longer gave the programme from the home leg.

Home game had 19,000 in Ashton Gate. We lost over two legs but a memorable game.

Sorry that if I've derailed the thread.

Saw that match too. Got 3 autographs that night - Venable, Bonetti and some guy I never heard of before or since.

Dave Smith.

It was like a sixteen year old streaking across the playground after nicking the first years ball.

Everybody was following it.

But nobody was going to catch it.

An over 35 Tommy Hutchinson for Swansea playing walking football.

The ball was not just passed.

It was delivered with such care it should had a bow tied on it.

Class.

And all we had was to laugh and mock his moustache

Archived