IGNORED

LJ 4 years this month

bcfc01

After a dodgy start when SL stuck by him LJ has made steady progress season on season despite losing several of his better players, most recently Brownhill sold to Burnley.

Why his critics can’t admit that he’s doing a decent job with one hand tied behind his back is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

After a dodgy start when SL stuck by him LJ has made steady progress season on season despite losing several of his better players, most recently Brownhill sold to Burnley.

Why his critics can’t admit that he’s doing a decent job with one hand tied behind his back is beyond me.

Because he’s not doing it ‘ one hand tied behind his back ‘ , he is doing it under conditions that 90% of coaches would be excessively jealous of .

Taking nothing away from his work but let’s not pretend that he’s in some way disadvantaged. 

Well done to him, I know he's not perfect but I think he's grown and improved as a coach and manager. 

Improved multiple players, sold others for big profits and progressively improved our league position.

I also really like that he cares about the club. That's a big plus for me. 

He's got a few things to work on, the streaks, patchy home form and occasional throwing of players needlessly under the bus (something he does less than he did) - but overall I thing he's doing well and it'll be interesting to see how he gets on now he's been backed in January.

5 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

And what a job he’s done in those 4 years. 

He keeps on keeping on despite huge pressure , the hours he puts in and the emotions .

I admire his tenacity , his intelligence and desire to succeed for the supporters , as much as for anyone else.

He understands the club .

I confess that I thought he’d shot his bolt in December but he bounces back each time to confound his critics and I hope that all his personal investment pays off with the success that he and the club deserve .

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Every Manager/Coach will eventually lose their best players. It’s the nature of the job. So you cannot use that as an excuse.

As someone posted the other day, let’s see where we stand come June.

As someone who has wanted LJ sacked on at least two occasions (haven't we all?), I agree that he's doing a fantastic job as City manager, and is far exceeding my expectations.  He is well on course to getting City into the Premier League, which I once thought was highly unlikely under his tenure.

Long may Lee remain as manager and long may he keep on pushing City up and up.

7 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Every Manager/Coach will eventually lose their best players. It’s the nature of the job. So you cannot use that as an excuse.

As someone posted the other day, let’s see where we stand come June.

Have Leeds, West Brom, Forest, Blackburn, Fulham or Huddersfield lost their best players ?  Might be wrong but off the top of my head I don’t think they have.

Appreciate this is a post I might come to regret when people give me loads of examples that they have!

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Have Leeds, West Brom, Forest, Blackburn, Fulham or Huddersfield lost their best players ?  Might be wrong but off the top of my head I don’t think they have.

Appreciate this is a post I might come to regret when people give me loads of examples that they have!

Brentford are prime example. Lost players in the summer who in my view were superior to ours. Still going strong. Even stronger you could say.

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Well, I’m willing to stand corrected alongside you. Let’s see: off the top of my head, Kodja, Bryan, Reid, Flint, Tomlin, Kelly, Webster, Pack, Brownhill.... Have I missed anyone out? Fees are open to dispute, but let’s say at least 9 senior players in 4 years or under, for - ball park figures - say £80M plus. Can anyone name a Championship club with as many departures, within the same time frame, for as much money? 

I’d say those who claim he’s not lost more than most other managers are being a bit harsh, but I’m prepared to be proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Brentford are prime example. Lost players in the summer who in my view were superior to ours. Still going strong. Even stronger you could say.

Yes so much stronger...... how many more points do they have than us again?

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

As someone who has wanted LJ sacked on at least two occasions (haven't we all?), I agree that he's doing a fantastic job as City manager, and is far exceeding my expectations.  He is well on course to getting City into the Premier League, which I once thought was highly unlikely under his tenure.

Long may Lee remain as manager and long may he keep on pushing City up and up.

No. 

6 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Fair shout. When Harry was doing his thing at Brum, he somehow managed to nick not one, but three very good players from Brentford in one swoop - Jota, Dean & Colin, if I remember correctly. I thought it would cripple Brentford, but it didn’t. Just one example, though. I’ve yet to see enough evidence to support the assertion that it’s the general pattern.

I have to say that I have never been in the Johnson in camp, that said your positive comments raised have made me realise that he has done good things for the club and cares about it which adds weight to the argument that we certainly could have done worse.

That said, my concerns with him from day 1 until now is clarity and communication, footballers are not the brightest people and all they want is a system, know their job and play in their RIGHT positions. For me he still doesn’t know his best 11, best formation and how to influence a game through tactical substitutions and change formation when needed. He tries to out think other managers when it should be (especially at home) this is how I’m going to play.

Get this element right and he may start changing minds, however my fear is he will only ever be a good coach and not the real managerial leader we need to get into and stay in the premiership with, happy to be wrong on this one.

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Fair shout. When Harry was doing his thing at Brum, he somehow managed to nick not one, but three very good players from Brentford in one swoop - Jota, Dean & Colin, if I remember correctly. I thought it would cripple Brentford, but it didn’t. Just one example, though. I’ve yet to see enough evidence to support the assertion that it’s the general pattern.

Possibly comes down to the club structure and who they replace. Let’s be honest, Brentford have possibly been one of the beat clubs in recent years to pick out absolute gems for a cheap price, and sell on for a much larger fee. While playing beautiful passing and pressing football.

1 minute ago, Redpool said:

Possibly comes down to the club structure and who they replace. Let’s be honest, Brentford have possibly been one of the beat clubs in recent years to pick out absolute gems for a cheap price, and sell on for a much larger fee. While playing beautiful passing and pressing football.

You could argue we've done the same re: recruitment - the grass is always greener on the other side and it's easy to be over-critical of our own club.

1 minute ago, Redpool said:

I suppose you can say we have done the same. Possibly Brentford have done it better. 

Depends how you look at it, Brentford do recruit well but I bet other clubs have been envious of us picking up players like Eliasson, Brownhill and Jay Dasilva for relatively good prices.

I think one difference is that Brentford's recruitment model has been established for a few more years than ours. They have had numerous players I'd have really liked though - especially Ollie Watkins.

16 minutes ago, La Plage said:

I have to say that I have never been in the Johnson in camp, that said your positive comments raised have made me realise that he has done good things for the club and cares about it which adds weight to the argument that we certainly could have done worse.

That said, my concerns with him from day 1 until now is clarity and communication, footballers are not the brightest people and all they want is a system, know their job and play in their RIGHT positions. For me he still doesn’t know his best 11, best formation and how to influence a game through tactical substitutions and change formation when needed. He tries to out think other managers when it should be (especially at home) this is how I’m going to play.

Get this element right and he may start changing minds, however my fear is he will only ever be a good coach and not the real managerial leader we need to get into and stay in the premiership with, happy to be wrong on this one.

Good to see someone express their reservations about him in a fair, balanced and measured way. It’s the ridiculous polarisation of opinions that drives me and a lot of other people up the wall. I’m neither his greatest admirer nor his most severe critic. When he was appointed, I was pretty neutral about it. My main misgiving was that it may have come too early in his career. In fact, I still do think it was probably too early, at that time. But that was then and this is now. I think it’s hard to disagree with the view that he has, on the whole, done a decent job under some fairly tight constraints, bearing in mind that he was himself a work in progress as a head coach when he was given the job. The people who trash him every time we have a bad patch, as all teams do, clearly have another agenda.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

One example then?  Bit of a myth that every team sells their best players I think but as I say, happy to be corrected 

One of the best central midfielders in the division Romaine Sawyers

Their first choice goalkeeper Dan Bentley

Ezri Konza CB went to Villa 

Neal Maupay, 25 goals for them last season

They had 4 players out the spine of their team leave. We only really had Webster and Pack go from the spine in the summer. 

Obviously they've spent well to replace players, and Watkins developing into a more traditional striker has gone well for them. Mbuemo adds quality and goals to the front 3, Josh Dasilva looks like he'll play Premier League football, I think Shandon Baptiste is a brilliant signing for so cheap from Oxford. Anyway, give them credit, they're very well run. 

Saying this, let's give Johnson and Bristol Sport credit too. The Bristol Sport model gives Johnson time to develop players (see Brownhill and Eliasson) while balancing that with shorter term deals for players with more experience (Rowe, Williams etc). This stability and patience gives Johnson time to find solutions during the slumps, and the stability provided from the model is the driver behind our season on season improvement for me. On Johnson himself, obviously I mentioned Watkins as well which is something Brentford and Frank will get a lot of credit for, but Johnson did the same thing with Reid. Arguably it was more impressive too considering Reid didn't have as much goal scoring history to build from. 

The model we work from and Johnson himself are by no means free from criticism but I think it's important we're grateful for where we're at. While we can compare ourselves to Brentford and demand more, let's remember the state of the Derby's, Sheffield Wednesday's of this division too. 

4 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

They had 4 players out the spine of their team leave. We only really had Webster and Pack go from the spine in the summer. 

Obviously they've spent well to replace players, and Watkins developing into a more traditional striker has gone well for them. Mbuemo adds quality and goals to the front 3, Josh Dasilva looks like he'll play Premier League football, I think Shandon Baptiste is a brilliant signing for so cheap from Oxford. Anyway, give them credit, they're very well run. 

Saying this, let's give Johnson and Bristol Sport credit too. The Bristol Sport model gives Johnson time to develop players (see Brownhill and Eliasson) while balancing that with shorter term deals for players with more experience (Rowe, Williams etc). This stability and patience gives Johnson time to find solutions during the slumps, and the stability provided from the model is the driver behind our season on season improvement for me. On Johnson himself, obviously I mentioned Watkins as well which is something Brentford and Frank will get a lot of credit for, but Johnson did the same thing with Reid. Arguably it was more impressive too considering Reid didn't have as much goal scoring history to build from. 

The model we work from and Johnson himself are by no means free from criticism but I think it's important we're grateful for where we're at. While we can compare ourselves to Brentford and demand more, let's remember the state of the Derby's, Sheffield Wednesday's of this division too. 

Yes I know the players Brentford have sold. Saying that’s one example 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The club is in a considerably better place now than when he took over.

on and off the field, my issue has been with performance which appears to be getting better and our defense which has been immense recently, so I've currently got no complaints or anything to moan about,

off the field which alot of fans overlook or simply refuse to engage on, this club has never been in better hands or in a better place,

The legacy of what Lansdown has done and is doing as our owner will long be in place after he departs which is great 

7 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Well said. People write enviously about the comparison with Brentford, but there’s not a great deal in it if you look at the bare facts. Thirty games gone and both clubs are on 50 points, albeit Brentford have a vastly superior goal difference. They are arguably the only other Championship club being run according to the same principles as ours. I’d have to agree that they have been marginally more successful in doing that, but as someone said above, they probably began implementing the model a little earlier than us and are that bit further along the road. I share the general admiration for Brentford and fair play to them, but I think we do our own club an injustice if we don’t acknowledge that we are very close behind them.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

His ability to improve a player so much that we can sell for huge profits is incredible and massively underrated 

Yes indeed, far out weighs any signing failures in my book - which will always happen. Alex Ferguson signed some right dross on occasion for example

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Funny one Brentford.  They were excellent against us last month and everyone was rightly saying at the time how well run they are as a club, with a clear footballing philosophy, and how far ahead of us they were and how they would finish well above us.  And yet they're now level on points with us after the same number of games.

Archived