IGNORED

LJ 4 years this month

bcfc01

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Yes I know the players Brentford have sold. Saying that’s one example 

Woops, apologies for misunderstanding your post! 

I think the reality is every team is a selling club unless you're Real Madrid or Barcelona, so every team loses it's best players. WBA - Dawson, Leeds - Roofe, Preston - Robinson, Swansea - James and McBurnie just to name a few recently. It happens at every club. it's frustrating when you do lose them but it proves the point LJ does something right considering we sell a couple we've developed every season and have still improved our final position year on year so far

35 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Funny one Brentford.  They were excellent against us last month and everyone was rightly saying at the time how well run they are as a club, with a clear footballing philosophy, and how far ahead of us they were and how they would finish well above us.  And yet they're now level on points with us after the same number of games.

Well, they are a point better off in reality because there ain't no ways we're catching their brilliant goal difference up. They are a brilliant team and I really hope we can get near them football wise one day. Brilliant to watch that team. 

Overall done a good job in his 4 years here with plenty of ups and down. And we are now a top 10 side rather than a bottom 3 one when he joined so overall progress made. 

Question now is if he can take us on to the next level. 

Well done to SL for sticking with him when most wouldn't have. We are lucky to have him as such a stable figure within the club.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Taking nothing away from his work but let’s not pretend that he’s in some way disadvantaged. 

90% of coaches would not adhere to SLs  ‘sustainability’ strategy which means having to sell his better players - one hand tied behind his his back in other words...............:cool2:

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Have Leeds, West Brom, Forest, Blackburn, Fulham or Huddersfield lost their best players ?  Might be wrong but off the top of my head I don’t think they have.

Appreciate this is a post I might come to regret when people give me loads of examples that they have!

Leeds sold Kemar Roofe, and a young 'un (a la Lloyd Kelly) Clarke, to Spurs, and Pontus thingy; they sold Chris Wood to Burnley summer '18; Byram to West Ham before that. They do "trade," although perhaps not as enthusiastically as we move on our best. Fulham also sold their prize gem to Spurs, Sessegnon. West Brom traded with Rodriguez to Burnley and Big Rondon to somewhere overseas; also Craig Dawson went to Watford. 

I think our buy low/young , develop (academy and signings) and sell high system has worked incredibly well. It does disadvantage LJ in some ways getting to know exact details about new players style of play and character as well as how well they click with other players/the team and how quick they get up to speed. We often have had to buy from abroad or lower league and whilst you can look at what those players are doing in their leagues it's never an exact science as to how well they will adapt/step up. 

However because overall we have used this system well (raking in record transfer fees, and profits on players) he has been able to spend more and recruit players of increasing quality - therefore signing players we just couldn't before, this with continued improvement in the league and SL incredible investment has left us in an infinately better position than when he arrived. 

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The club is in a considerably better place now than when he took over.

The club is in a considerably better place now than it has been at any point in my 30 years on this planet. 

And LJ takes a huge amount of credit for that. 

#LJForever 

2 hours ago, J-mat said:

The club is in a considerably better place now than it has been at any point in my 30 years on this planet. 

And LJ takes a huge amount of credit for that. 

#LJForever 

He does, but I also think SOD and Cotts gave him a good place to start, whether that be foundations, and / or playing staff.

What was LJ doing on day 2 in charge?

Hosting my son Joe (and Mrs Fevs) at the Training Ground as part of something pre-agreed with Charlton Farm, and he personally didn’t want to cancel it. ??????

Hands up - I will admit when I am wrong.

I wanted him gone end of last season.

Whilst the football sometimes has been unwatchable, he seems to have finally spotted his mistakes and fixed the appropriate areas.

No better example is the poor run pre-Xmas, and with a few tweaks, we are on an incredible run with a slew of clean sheets.

He's a lot better than I gave him credit for, so well done Lee Johnson.

(But if he could be slightly less cryptic in some of his interviews I'd probably understand his message better - but thats on me not him!)

If he can gel these new players, and we go up - then all credit lies at Johnsons door.

If we just miss out, then he has still done a sterling job.

I was wrong, and I apologise to LJ.

Since LJ came we have been 18 17 11 and 8 in the leauge. This season we will hopefully be higher than eight place. We had a very bad run a while ago, the boarder did not sack him, it was longterm thinking and I think it was a good descision. Our football have sometimes not been so good but its results that counts in this business. We are sixth in the table and are still in progress. For me LJ and the Club have done a very good jobb. We have made good business, all players that we sold for good money, and still fighting for top six..

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He does, but I also think SOD and Cotts gave him a good place to start, whether that be foundations, and / or playing staff.

What was LJ doing on day 2 in charge?

Hosting my son Joe (and Mrs Fevs) at the Training Ground as part of something pre-agreed with Charlton Farm, and he personally didn’t want to cancel it. ??????

Yes, agree. It's good to see SOD mentioned here too. I would love to see what he could do running a club from the top, rather than as a manager. 

He tried so hard to engage fans as equals, much like LJ does. But both get barracked for being "too technical" 

I found SOD refreshing from the dull clichés of the likes of McInnes and Millen. 

Cotts deserves so much credit for this too. I remember he did a Q&A and spoke at length about GK positioning a goal kick in the centre of the 6 yard box rather than the corner. The level of detail fans rarely hear managers and coaches talk about. 

He was a bit more relatable to the average fan though because of his accent and uncomplicated vocabulary. 

Either way, LJ is ultimately responsible for the club being in the best position it's been in in my lifetime. Love the guy. 

On 07/02/2020 at 12:48, SX227 said:

Hands up - I will admit when I am wrong.

I wanted him gone end of last season.

Whilst the football sometimes has been unwatchable, he seems to have finally spotted his mistakes and fixed the appropriate areas.

No better example is the poor run pre-Xmas, and with a few tweaks, we are on an incredible run with a slew of clean sheets.

He's a lot better than I gave him credit for, so well done Lee Johnson.

(But if he could be slightly less cryptic in some of his interviews I'd probably understand his message better - but thats on me not him!)

If he can gel these new players, and we go up - then all credit lies at Johnsons door.

If we just miss out, then he has still done a sterling job.

I was wrong, and I apologise to LJ.

And after my mea culpa - this.

Oh dear.

We all know how this season ends

Archived