IGNORED

Ian Wright

Whites

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wrighty must be kicking himself that he sent Eddie to play in that awful Leeds team when he could be playing with this lot and having 10 behind the ball every game at home. 

"Soporific First half'... Hope Wrighty didn't nod off,  give him a nudge just incase, could be livening up this half.

19 hours ago, hodge said:

If anything that game actually showed how good we could be if we had someone to bury chances at the moment, probably would have stuck away 3 or 4

He would have also seen our willingness to play a 21 and 22 year old in the back 4, an 18 year old in midfield and a 19 year old striker, that must have registered with him.  Anyone seen any comments on social media?

• Admin
1 hour ago, spudski said:

Can you elaborate mate?

Think Semenyo would do well with a couple hours with Wrighty 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Take it he didn't see the game then

He was talking about the fight and never say die attitude we had last night. 

For an ex pro he was one of the politest and down to earth ex sportsman I have ever met.

Happily posing for pictures etc

Leeds Live have updated this story, below and https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/ian-wright-talks-up-bristol-17138404 which includes a hilarious comment from the occupant of a village that's missing an idiot.

Ian Wright talks up Bristol City amid Robins interest in Eddie Nketiah

The striker is yet to make his first league start for Leeds United after joining on loan in August

By Aidan McCartney 08:00, 25 OCT 2019

Arsenal legend Ian Wright admits he is impressed with the work Lee Johnson is doing at Bristol City amid speculation about Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah.

The 20-year-old is currently on a season-long loan at Leeds United after taking advice from Wright who recommended him to move to Elland Road over Ashton Gate.

Nketiah is yet to make his first league start for Leeds but has impressed off the bench, netting his five goal on the loan spell with a last-gasp equaliser against Preston North End on Tuesday night.

Bristol City are thought to be interested in signing the England under-21 international should the Gunners decide to exercise their recall option in January as they look for more regular game time.

Wright's influence in persuading the youngster to join Leeds saw Johnson inviting the Match of the Day pundit to watch Bristol City in action while on national radio. He took up the offer as they defeated Charlton Athletic 2-1 on Wednesday night.

And it seems that the former striker believes that the Robins are on the right track, as reported by Bristol Live.

He said: "Lee came on the Monday Night Club and we were talking about Eddie Nketiah.

"Everyone’s talking about the fact I advised him to go to Leeds but what I said to him was that he’ll score goals at both of those clubs, it depends on the level of pressure you want to put on yourself in respect of having to score those goals.

"In the end he chose Leeds but at the same time, you know what happened with Tammy Abraham and how they create chances here.

"The main reason I came down was because of the atmosphere I’ve heard about, Lee said to me himself that I should come down and sample it, see what it’s about.

"I had to come down so I can now make my judgement off the experience I’ve had down here.

"It’s been really good, outside is really nice and the stadium’s fantastic, it really, really is."

Leeds fans will now be hoping to see much more of Nketiah with Marcelo Bielsa facing renewed calls to start the talent when the Whites face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.Share:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

It looks to me that Ian Wright has been bought by Johnson. To take Nketiah away from the biggest club in the Championship Leeds Utd would be the wrong move Ian Wright. Nketiah will learn more from Bielsa than he could ever learn from Johnson. Bielsa has forgotten more about the game than rookie Johnson will ever know. Has for the Bristol stadium.... Well that's laughable. Bristol play in front of 20,000 at best. Elland Road is a sell out every match 35,000. Something that Bristol cannot do, they just don't have the stadium or enough fans. ER is one of the best stadiums in England for atmosphere. If Arsenal do recall Nketiah can we have our £4 million loan fee back please.

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Leeds Live have updated this story, below and https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/ian-wright-talks-up-bristol-17138404 which includes a hilarious comment from the occupant of a village that's missing an idiot.

The striker is yet to make his first league start for Leeds United after joining on loan in August

Arsenal legend Ian Wright admits he is impressed with the work Lee Johnson is doing at Bristol City amid speculation about Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah.

The 20-year-old is currently on a season-long loan at Leeds United after taking advice from Wright who recommended him to move to Elland Road over Ashton Gate.

Nketiah is yet to make his first league start for Leeds but has impressed off the bench, netting his five goal on the loan spell with a last-gasp equaliser against Preston North End on Tuesday night.

Bristol City are thought to be interested in signing the England under-21 international should the Gunners decide to exercise their recall option in January as they look for more regular game time.

Wright's influence in persuading the youngster to join Leeds saw Johnson inviting the Match of the Day pundit to watch Bristol City in action while on national radio. He took up the offer as they defeated Charlton Athletic 2-1 on Wednesday night.

And it seems that the former striker believes that the Robins are on the right track, as reported by Bristol Live.

He said: "Lee came on the Monday Night Club and we were talking about Eddie Nketiah.

"Everyone’s talking about the fact I advised him to go to Leeds but what I said to him was that he’ll score goals at both of those clubs, it depends on the level of pressure you want to put on yourself in respect of having to score those goals.

"In the end he chose Leeds but at the same time, you know what happened with Tammy Abraham and how they create chances here.

"The main reason I came down was because of the atmosphere I’ve heard about, Lee said to me himself that I should come down and sample it, see what it’s about.

"I had to come down so I can now make my judgement off the experience I’ve had down here.

"It’s been really good, outside is really nice and the stadium’s fantastic, it really, really is."

Leeds fans will now be hoping to see much more of Nketiah with Marcelo Bielsa facing renewed calls to start the talent when the Whites face Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.Share:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

It looks to me that Ian Wright has been bought by Johnson. To take Nketiah away from the biggest club in the Championship Leeds Utd would be the wrong move Ian Wright. Nketiah will learn more from Bielsa than he could ever learn from Johnson. Bielsa has forgotten more about the game than rookie Johnson will ever know. Has for the Bristol stadium.... Well that's laughable. Bristol play in front of 20,000 at best. Elland Road is a sell out every match 35,000. Something that Bristol cannot do, they just don't have the stadium or enough fans. ER is one of the best stadiums in England for atmosphere. If Arsenal do recall Nketiah can we have our £4 million loan fee back please.

How arrogant is that Leeds fan? Get off your high horse pal!

22 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

Ah, yes Johnson. Who coached Tammy Abraham... Who is now the joint premier league top goalscorer this year. Along side a certain Aguero... 

HE KNOWS NOTHING. 

Strange Leeds fans. Strange.

24 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

1 Comment
picture?type=square

(edited)4 hours ago
NigelCo

The Leeds fan would do well to regard Chelsea's top scorer ( and England striker) Tammy Abraham, who presumably failed to learn anything from his time with us and Johnson, during which he scored 20+ goals in his first season in league football as a regular starter.

The Leeds fans is obviously concerned for Nketiah's progress, so wants him to avoid the career regression he suffered as a result of coming to Ashton Gate :) 

34 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The Leeds fan would do well to regard Chelsea's top scorer ( and England striker) Tammy Abraham, who presumably failed to learn anything from his time with us and Johnson, during which he scored 20+ goals in his first season in league football as a regular starter.

The Leeds fans is obviously concerned for Nketiah's progress, so wants him to avoid the career regression he suffered as a result of coming to Ashton Gate :) 

Yeah. Weird thing about Tammy. The more he played, the better he got.

The inconvenient truth for that Leeds fan is that Arsenal sent him out on the express condition he would get game time, yet Banford, who hasn’t scored since the Reformation, is preferred to him every game. He would surely have started every game here and that is the point. 

For all their lovely stadium and big crowds, Leeds misled Arsenal and it mayyet prompt a recall. 

47 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

The inconvenient truth for that Leeds fan is that Arsenal sent him out on the express condition he would get game time, yet Banford, who hasn’t scored since the Reformation, is preferred to him every game. He would surely have started every game here and that is the point. 

For all their lovely stadium and big crowds, Leeds misled Arsenal and it mayyet prompt a recall. 

I don’t think he would’ve started every game.  Think he’d have started on the bench, and then see what he could do in whatever set up Lee had planned.  It’s a big ask to expect him to lead the line, he’s not as big as Tammy.  Now that Lee seems settled on a front two (most of the time) I agree he’d get more game time, but he’d still be battling with Diedhiou and Weimann for minutes.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he would’ve started every game.  Think he’d have started on the bench, and then see what he could do in whatever set up Lee had planned.  It’s a big ask to expect him to lead the line, he’s not as big as Tammy.  Now that Lee seems settled on a front two (most of the time) I agree he’d get more game time, but he’d still be battling with Diedhiou and Weimann for minutes.

I’m confused by this assumption that we are playing with a front two Fevs, who is this front two?

To me it very much looks like we are playing one upfront with as many as 6 in midfield. I’m going to assume that you are claiming that it was Semenyo & Wiemann up front on Wednesday? Yet neither Semenyo or Weimann played as a striker, Semenyo more as a #10 & Weimann basically wherever he seen fit to go & when Diedhiou has started upfront, he’s rarely had another striker up front with him! Actually, the only time I can say we’ve played two up front was when Diedhiou & Rodri came on, on Wednesday for the last 15-20 minutes & the Diedhiou got sent off so it eft Rodri as our only striker!

26 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I’m confused by this assumption that we are playing with a front two Fevs, who is this front two?

To me it very much looks like we are playing one upfront with as many as 6 in midfield. I’m going to assume that you are claiming that it was Semenyo & Wiemann up front on Wednesday? Yet neither Semenyo or Weimann played as a striker, Semenyo more as a #10 & Weimann basically wherever he seen fit to go & when Diedhiou has started upfront, he’s rarely had another striker up front with him! Actually, the only time I can say we’ve played two up front was when Diedhiou & Rodri came on, on Wednesday for the last 15-20 minutes & the Diedhiou got sent off so it eft Rodri as our only striker!

Totally disagree...Your using the term striker differently two what I’m calling “two up top”. A no10 is totally different to a forward who likes to come and get the ball short.  They’re still a forward. They’re still a forward partnership.

Just because Weimann buzzes around, he’s still what I’d old-fashionably call a forward in a ‘two up top’.  In my day there were only Centre-Forwards, Wingers and Midfielders....striker wasn’t only just starting to be used, and none of this FIFA inspired “CAM” shit I hear (and use myself begrudgingly today). ?

We've typically paired:

• Weimann and Afobe
  • Weimann and Diedhiou
  • Afobe and Diedhiou (At Hull)

You only have to take the various team graphics we see to see that it’s invariably been two forwards, in either a 5212 (you might call the wingback system a 3412) or 442.

18D25904-1573-47AC-9B88-FE623A2BFAFC.thumb.jpeg.8b295d02011aedeb599ab55378106099.jpeg

04B61CD8-ABEA-4E58-8536-7C952192D397.thumb.jpeg.fa5a3622f7102ed599b2e17f2a7b0a65.jpeg

4FD237FD-1344-4A07-B136-4587E2E51723.thumb.jpeg.8f275812cf56a12636113747bc599546.jpeg

47CAF74F-3C3D-4921-B181-D48666FD9FD5.jpeg

even LJ said last week that we play two up top.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally disagree...Your using the term striker differently two what I’m calling “two up top”. A no10 is totally different to a forward who likes to come and get the ball short.  They’re still a forward. They’re still a forward partnership.

Just because Weimann buzzes around, he’s still what I’d old-fashionably call a forward in a ‘two up top’.  In my day there were only Centre-Forwards, Wingers and Midfielders....striker wasn’t only just starting to be used, and none of this FIFA inspired “CAM” shit I hear (and use myself begrudgingly today). ?

We've typically paired:

• Weimann and Afobe
  • Weimann and Diedhiou
  • Afobe and Diedhiou (At Hull)

You only have to take the various team graphics we see to see that it’s invariably been two forwards, in either a 5212 (you might call the wingback system a 3412) or 442.

18D25904-1573-47AC-9B88-FE623A2BFAFC.thumb.jpeg.8b295d02011aedeb599ab55378106099.jpeg

04B61CD8-ABEA-4E58-8536-7C952192D397.thumb.jpeg.fa5a3622f7102ed599b2e17f2a7b0a65.jpeg

4FD237FD-1344-4A07-B136-4587E2E51723.thumb.jpeg.8f275812cf56a12636113747bc599546.jpeg

47CAF74F-3C3D-4921-B181-D48666FD9FD5.jpeg

even LJ said last week that we play two up top.

But it’s not two up top! Just because it’s put on graphics doesn’t mean it’s true, how many ties have you seen a right-back put as a left-back on the graphics or a central midfielder put as a wide midfielder?

Weimann doesn’t play as a forward or a striker or a #10 for us, he might kick-off for us (never took that much notice tbh) but that doesn’t mean he’s a forward, he plays just about everywhere but as a forward or a keeper. 
Weimann has started every game (or just about), does that mean technically we’ve played with two upfront all season along with the combination of Afobe, Semenyo or Diedhiou? Because there have been times (Charlton at home & Brentford away) when we’ve had no forwards / strikers!

Don’t believe all that LJ says, just because he says we play with two strikers doesn’t mean it’s true.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But it’s not two up top! Just because it’s put on graphics doesn’t mean it’s true, how many ties have you seen a right-back put as a left-back on the graphics or a central midfielder put as a wide midfielder?

Weimann doesn’t play as a forward or a striker or a #10 for us, he might kick-off for us (never took that much notice tbh) but that doesn’t mean he’s a forward, he plays just about everywhere but as a forward or a keeper. 
Weimann has started every game (or just about), does that mean technically we’ve played with two upfront all season along with the combination of Afobe, Semenyo or Diedhiou? Because there have been times (Charlton at home & Brentford away) when we’ve had no forwards / strikers!

Don’t believe all that LJ says, just because he says we play with two strikers doesn’t mean it’s true.

The graphic is just a representation of what they think the predominant position is.  In Statszone’s case they even change the predicted pre-game formation after the game starts....so they obviously see City as playing “two up top”.

Re Weimann, of course there have been times where he’s drifted around, and there’s also been occasions where imho he’s been tactically switched by LJ from “up top” to wide right....where he played most of last season.  But he has started virtually every game “up top” this season.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Everything you have just said about Weimann you could say about Aguero, I spent most of the League Cup game trying to find him on the pitch, but he was still in the box when it mattered. 

Archived