IGNORED

Over here son on my ????

Red Army 75

The problem I have with this is the lack of coaching could cause more problems. Anybody who has played at any level, knows it bloody hurts when you head a ball incorrectly. I realise that just heading a ball can be an issue over the time, but heading it wrong must be more so. 
If players are not taught to head properly are the issues not increased?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Super said:

Think its a good idea.

I can appreciate the rationale behind this but footballs are so light nowadays. 

The problems with brain problems is more down to the heavier and wetter balls used in the past. 

The other odd thing is if it was such a problem surely FIFA would implement a change world wide and not by the English FA?

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

The problems with brain problems is more down to the heavier and wetter balls used in the past. 

The other odd thing is if it was such a problem surely FIFA would implement a change world wide and not by the English FA?

Everyone would be playing long ball football against us at the u18 World Cup that’s for sure! Countries hiring Tony Pulis and Neil Warnock just so we don’t make it out the groups. Heard it here first 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think in the future they might end up completely banning heading from the game. Or the ball is not allowed to go over chest or shoulder height.

They've almost banned physical contact from the game, so would not be surprised to see something like this come in. 

What next -  SJW's demanding that when a player loses the ball the opposition give it back immediately so as not to hurt his feelings?  :) 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

The problem I have with this is the lack of coaching could cause more problems. Anybody who has played at any level, knows it bloody hurts when you head a ball incorrectly. I realise that just heading a ball can be an issue over the time, but heading it wrong must be more so. 
If players are not taught to head properly are the issues not increased?

I believe there are the same concerns in Rugby. Kids aren't being coached in tackling (Touch Rugby) so the fear is they don't learn how to ride a tackle safely, so when they step up to the real game when they're older they more likely to be seriously injured.

7 minutes ago, soultrader said:

It political correctness gone mad

I did football, rugby and boxed at a pretty decent level.

Never did me any harm ....... although on the flip side, Ive never been on mastermind ?

I appreciate it seems strong but just because you're fine doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue. Just down the road at the Uni of Bath they've conducted world leading research into the dangers of concussion injuries in rugby, and the research into heading the ball in football has followed suit. Unfortunately the research is fairly compelling - and the links to brain damage are strong.

I don't think a ban is the way forward. When research uncovers something like this, the best response tends to be the follow up research into counter-measures that can mitigate the dangers associated with the activity. So whether its new ball technology or advancements in head-wear, the game should be pushing for this, rather than an outright ban

3 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

I believe there are the same concerns in Rugby. Kids aren't being coached in tackling (Touch Rugby) so the fear is they don't learn how to ride a tackle safely, so when they step up to the real game when they're older they more likely to be seriously injured.

That's a good comparison, when you watch rugby and the hits they take, you often wonder how they are able to play twice a week. But as you say, they are taught to tackle to stop, rather hurt an opponent and also how to ride a tackle, like a judo player to reduce impact. 

An additional worry I have, is that they are bringing in these new rules to protect a few players that are susceptible to head injuries, much the same as laws to protect alcoholics and problem gamblers. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

100%.

All the incidents from the reports I’ve seen/heard are from 20/30+ years ago when as you mention the balls used then would soak up water from the pitch and become rock solid. The footballs used in today’s game are as light as a feather and imo would cause little if any future health problems to players. To ban it is way OTT.

3 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Aren't the balls still the same weight?  It's just they stay the same weight throughout the game regardless of the conditions due to the materials used.

Correct.

They have been the same weight (or slightly less in the early part of the 20th century) for over a hundred years.

The difference is that the earlier balls could absorb water a bit more than modern footballs.

http://www.morethanmindgames.com/2010/06/26/an-enduring-football-myth-the-weight-of-the-ball/

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

Aren't the balls still the same weight?  It's just they stay the same weight throughout the game regardless of the conditions due to the materials used.

Footballs have got slightly lighter and can travel faster. The materials have changed and a major change is panelling. Many balls have eight panels where balls formerly had sometimes over thrifty, this causes balls to swing more in the air.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

FIFA and EUFA at this point have not intervened as the studies are uneven. Now isn't then and evidence is not conclusive. 

From the article. Frequency v technique. What is being suggested is illogical. Any technical skill requires repetition as this creates muscle and neural memory. Doing something less does not improve ability and leads to poorer heading skill =  more harmful if heading is damaging to some individuals?

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think in the future they might end up completely banning heading from the game. Or the ball is not allowed to go over chest or shoulder height.

Would make most free kicks interesting.

We moan now about corners not beating the first defenders... they wouldn't be allowed to under these rules.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Jay Dasilva's head or Aden Flints? And as others have said, free kicks, corners, goal kicks and clearances all become almost impossible. 

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

They've almost banned physical contact from the game, so would not be surprised to see something like this come in. 

What next -  SJW's demanding that when a player loses the ball the opposition give it back immediately so as not to hurt his feelings?  :) 

and remember its not all about winning, it's the taking part that matters. 

Archived