IGNORED

Well I never expected this announcement?

phantom

• Admin

Fair play to the coming coming on TV and telling everyone, but I always feel like it is nobody else's business apart from the person themselves and their families!

The only reason I guess it benefits doing it this way is that some grubby "red top" paper can't run the story as some snide exclusive

PHILLIP Schofield today bravely revealed he is gay.

The This Morning presenter - who has been married for nearly 27 years - made the revelation this morning as he paid tribute to his wife and daughters.

Holding back tears, the much-loved presenter sat down with friend and co-host Holly Willoughby as he discussed his announcement.

He told her: "It's tough but this is not something that's happened quickly, I've had to deal this in my head for quite some time.

"I got to the stage where I thought we sit here, every day, and some amazingly brave person is sitting over there and I'm thinking 'I have to be that person'.

"All you can be in your life is honest with yourself. I was getting to a stage in my life where I was thinking I don't really like myself because I'm not being honest with myself.

"We always say 'talk to someone'... and you must talk to someone. It's brought be back from some dark places and in some cases talking to people saves you."

In emotional scenes, he then hugged Holly, who vowed she would always sit by him.

Phillip married Stephanie Lowe in March 1993.

He wrote on Instagram today: "With the strength and support of my wife and my daughters, I have been coming to the terms with the fact that I am gay."

He added: "This is something that has caused many heart-breaking conversations at home. I have been married to Steph for nearly 27 years, and we have two beautiful grown-up daughters, Molly and Ruby.

"My family have held me so close: they have tried to cheer me up, to smother me with kindness and love, despite their own confusion.

"Yet I still can't sleep and there have been some very dark moments."

PHILLIP'S ANNOUNCEMENT

Phillip met while Stephanie was working as a BBC production assistant and he was working for BBC children's television.

They have two daughters together, Ruby, 24, and Molly, 27.

The announcement comes just a few weeks shy of the couple's 27th wedding anniversary on March 30.

Phillip had previously marked his silver wedding anniversary in 2018 on Instagram, gushing: "2 birthdays and a Silver Wedding Anniversary in one week!

"That’s a lot of cards. Happy 25th Mrs S."

Phillip has co-hosted the daytime show with Holly Willoughby for more than a decade, with the pair often left in fits of laughter during segments.

And Holly threw her support behind Phillip, writing on Instagram: "Never been more proud of my friend than I am today."

The presenter released a statement on Instagram today

Fair play to him! While it might be a bit 'obvious' to most, that shouldn't negate the fact that it's a very brave thing to do. Particularly being in the spotlight, being married for years, having 2 kids, the inner turmoil must have been immense. People say 'so what', and while I understand their perspective, hopefully one day it will be so normalised that people will be able to do this and others genuinely won't care.

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

So what if he’s gay and good luck to him. What’s this got to to do with football chat.

It's in non football chat

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Why would that make it obvious???

Well he spends all that time with her! :laugh:

Well, there's a lot of big hugs and back slapping going on. Is he brave announcing this now, yes, has he been a bit cowardly for the last 27 years, quite possibly. He must have been 30 when he got married and he didn't know he was gay? Did he put his career before the truthful, honest life that his wife deserved? Then there's two children to think of. Just an alternative way of looking at it.

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So many people don’t care, that he’s trended number one on twitter all day 

So are people on twitter making homophobic tweets?  I don’t use twitter obviously..........:cool2:

Its the shock of him coming out that have surprised people more than his sexuality.

1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Well, there's a lot of big hugs and back slapping going on. Is he brave announcing this now, yes, has he been a bit cowardly for the last 27 years, quite possibly. He must have been 30 when he got married and he didn't know he was gay? Did he put his career before the truthful, honest life that his wife deserved? Then there's two children to think of. Just an alternative way of looking at it.

Is it cowardly or is it more telling of the society we live in that lots of people have "forced" themselves to be or act straight? There is still a lot of homophobic abuse in society and I can understand not wanting to come out. Obviously this is difficult for his family, but we don't know how long they've known. 

It is brave to come out, and good luck to him living his life as himself. We should be proud of ourselves, and our identities. 

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So are people on twitter making homophobic tweets?  I don’t use twitter obviously..........:cool2:

Its the shock of him coming out that have surprised people more than his sexuality.

Nothing homophobic. Just lots of people talking about it.  What do people have to be shocked about ? Don’t get it 

Whenever anybody comes out we hear people saying "who cares?".  The trouble is that many people do care, it's a shame we live in a world where people still feel they have to hide their sexuality but people do.  We still live in a world where the tabloids will gleefully print and reveal people's sexuality.

Why pride?  Because for centuries gay people have been executed, imprisoned, murdered, shunned, mocked, beaten up and refused employment.  Again we have come a long way, but there are still gay people in this country that are attacked for being gay, mocked for being gay and disowned by their families for being gay.  Pride is a reaction to that, it is not saying "we are better than you", it's saying "I don't care what you think, I am proud of who I am".

Schofield obviously grew up in an era where he felt he couldn't come out.  Living that lie must have been awful.

However, he is a bit of a **** if he has hidden this from his wife and cheated on her (I don't know if he has).  Her marriage will have been a lie and being cheated on is always hideous.  If she's cool with it, then great, if not then he is a scumbag.

25 minutes ago, SinéadB said:

Is it cowardly or is it more telling of the society we live in that lots of people have "forced" themselves to be or act straight? There is still a lot of homophobic abuse in society and I can understand not wanting to come out. Obviously this is difficult for his family, but we don't know how long they've known. 

It is brave to come out, and good luck to him living his life as himself. We should be proud of ourselves, and our identities

I completely agree with your last sentence. It was certainly a different world 27 years ago, and coming out may have been damaging in many ways. But this isn't just about Philip Schofield. You could ask, did he need take the best years of someone else's life and turn it into a bit of a sham to preserve the façade? It's a bit of a mixed bag for me, praise yes, questions yes.

51 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Nothing homophobic. Just lots of people talking about it.  What do people have to be shocked about ? Don’t get it 

He always comes over as a heterosexual guy, married for 27 years, kids...........I guess nobody thought he was gay  and when he came out people were shocked and surprised.

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

Frankly I'm more surprised to learn he is married.

I know what you mean, and that made me laugh :laugh:. But it's not a surprise, it's not a shock, and frankly I doubt anybody really gives a toss whether he is gay or not. And if anybody did care, well what a sad life they must be living.

8 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Anyone else think that maybe the Press have got something on him and that's why he's had to come out?  Bit like the Press with Gareth Thomas and outing his HIV...

Completely agree , expect the press to have a story this weekend and he’s come out before it’s released

15 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Anyone else think that maybe the Press have got something on him and that's why he's had to come out?  Bit like the Press with Gareth Thomas and outing his HIV...

Crossed my mind - think he’s also fallen out with a few of his colleges on this morning hasn't he..?

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

A guy in the SC reckoned that he was being blackmailed............:dunno:

Archived