IGNORED

150/1 for the title....

Andy082005

11 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

We’ve lost one game. I mean, come on Andy. Go and have a beer and chill out a bit. People are completely losing their heads here, on and off the pitch.

It’s not really just one game though is it. It’s the whole mentality when we go into a game where there is some real expectation, some real pressure 

gutless 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s not really just one game though is it. It’s the whole mentality when we go into a game where there is some real expectation, some real pressure 

gutless 

Is it, though? Weren’t we under pressure when we played Barnsley at home a few weeks ago? Or Luton at home?

I mean, I get what you’re saying up to a point, but it’s easy to say that after we’ve lost a game of that ilk.

I’m not for a minute defending anyone for tonight, by the way, I just think there has to be some kind of middle ground and level headedness to it all.

8 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Is it, though? Weren’t we under pressure when we played Barnsley at home a few weeks ago? Or Luton at home?

I mean, I get what you’re saying up to a point, but it’s easy to say that after we’ve lost a game of that ilk.

I’m not for a minute defending anyone for tonight, by the way, I just think there has to be some kind of middle ground and level headedness to it all.

Games like last night is a different type of pressure though. Similar to the Wolves game a couple of years ago, the Derby game last season. It was a chance to stamp some real authority on the division and show we mean business. 

I’ve said this before on here and I’ll say it again...Lee Johnson will never turn us into playoff team. I genuinely don’t believe he any team of his will ever have the mentality to grab these opportunities by the scruff of the neck and take them 

To soft. To nice. 

8 hours ago, The Journalist said:

We’ve lost one game. I mean, come on Andy. Go and have a beer and chill out a bit. People are completely losing their heads here, on and off the pitch.

Hey journalist we have lost  more than one game at home and valuable points have gone missing. Give me some of your chill pills as I’m over it.

37 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

As do a lot of teams at this level. Not many have had the Luxury of signing what....70 players though is it? 

It comes with the luxury of having to constantly sell your best players. We are in the play off positions, just won 4 on the bounce and keep improving year on year despite having to sell our best assets every year. One defeat on the bounce though proves the point that 4 wins don’t, but I suppose when angry fingers have been patiently waiting weeks to bash their keyboards we should not be surprised. 

33 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It comes with the luxury of having to constantly sell your best players. We are in the play off positions, just won 4 on the bounce and keep improving year on year despite having to sell our best assets every year. One defeat on the bounce though proves the point that 4 wins don’t, but I suppose when angry fingers have been patiently waiting weeks to bash their keyboards we should not be

This old chestnut 

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

As do a lot of teams at this level. Not many have had the Luxury of signing what....70 players though is it? 

Other teams may have lost the odd player. 

Nowhere near as many as we have.

Kodjia 11m

Bobby Reid 10m

Joe Bryan 6m

Aden Flint 7m

Webster 20m

Brownhill 9m

Thats 63m worth of talent he’s lost! 

Most city managers of the past have struggled when they lost their best player! None have lost nowhere near this amount and still improved our league position year on year 

13 hours ago, The Journalist said:

As usual.

Leeds with the 'world class' Bielsa have taken a whopping 5 points more over 45 hours of football. 5 points.

Two thirds of the way through the season and we've taken more points than all but 4 teams. Anyone who says they wouldn't have taken that at the start of the season is in cloud cuckoo land.

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

Kodjia 11m

Bobby Reid 10m

Joe Bryan 6m

Aden Flint 7m

Webster 20m

Brownhill 9m

Most city managers of the past have struggled when they lost their best player! None have lost nowhere near this amount and still improved our league position year on year 

Still spent a shit load of money and bought in close to 70 players. 70...

No excuses now though. He has been backed to the hilt again....we have a huge squad, we have every position filled ....anything other then top 6 is a failure this year 

We won’t get it though. Everything about how we set up, how we play and our performances as a whole....is identical to how LJ was as a player...

....Bland, side ways, boring, ineffective, zero penetration.....

You lot keep dining out on ‘year on year progression’. All I see is 2 years worth of awful home performances, and poor home form...and absolutely no sign of this trend stopping 

2 shots on target last night. 1 of those was after 50 seconds when it was gifted to us. Pathetic 

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

No excuses now though. He has been backed to the hilt again....we have a huge squad, we have every position filled ....anything other then top 6 is a failure this year 

We won’t get it though. Everything about how we set up, how we play and our performances as a whole....is identical to how LJ was as a player...

....Bland, side ways, boring, ineffective, zero penetration.....

You lot keep dining out on ‘year on year progression’. All I see is 2 years worth of awful home performances, and poor home form...and absolutely no sign of this trend stopping 

2 shots on target last night. 1 of those was after 50 seconds when it was gifted to us. Pathetic 

It's not 'dining out' Andy, it's a fact. We have had year on year progression.

I also think that whichever manager replaced SC would've been backed - provided they bought into the club's ethos. That's not to say that LJ has probably had the luxury of a little more leniency given his relationship with the club and SL though.

24 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

How has it gone from people saying 50 players to 70 within the space of a window where we signed 3 players?

We have a 1st team squad of 26 including those in on loan, that's not 'massive' by any means, plenty of squads will be as big. You can discount those out on loan against LJ as I think this is how we'd be operating without him as well so its not unique to him. Backed to the hilt again, because he has sold to finance it again, Brownhill going out allowed Wells to come in.

20 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

150/1 gotta be worth a bet at that price. Get the new guys settled in and anything is possible in this league.

I'd want 500/1 before i even considered wasting my money..........we have no chance of winning the league. ?  I'm hoping for 5th or 6th at best

9 hours ago, Riaz said:

Kodjia 11m

Bobby Reid 10m

Joe Bryan 6m

Aden Flint 7m

Webster 20m

Brownhill 9m

Really? In the same timescale you’ve quoted ... Brentford FC - transfers out:

Jake Bidwell

Jack O’Connell

David Button

Scott Hogan 

Harlee Dean

Jota

Maxime Colin

John Egan

Ryan Woods

Chris Mepham

Florian Jozefzoon

Yoann Barbet

Dan Bentley

Josh McEachran

Romaine Sawyers

Neal Maupay

.... these weren’t just ‘bit part’ players for The Bees - they’ve coped ok without them .... so many sweeping statements on here...

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

... it's a fact. We have had year on year progression.

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

A very inconvenient fact for many. 

I think the issue that divides many fans relates to the definition of ‘progress’ - the “we’ve made progress every year under LJ” brigade just look at the championship table at 5pm on the last day of each season and their eyes light up with sheer joy as we have finished a place or two above the season before (eg 18th then 17th) - the “How can this be called progress?” brigade watch the games and see consistently dire home performances every season with very few shots at the ‘goal’ thing and a confused bunch of players who bumble through games not looking as though they really know what the game plan is, but they pick up the odd good away victory (not always deserved) to placate us, many don’t see that as ‘progress’ ... just my opinion ?

I don't really get the problem people have with how many players he has brought in. Yes, he's brought in players. Any other manager would too. He's been here 4 years.

I'm assuming that includes all the ones for the future. We have quality players out on loan who seem to be very good purchases.

We have improved each season under him. We made a profit in the last season. Some were bought to improve us in the short term and were no longer needed so were let go. 

I don't get the problem with this.

38 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think the issue that divides many fans relates to the definition of ‘progress’ - the “we’ve made progress every year under LJ” brigade just look at the championship table at 5pm on the last day of each season and their eyes light up with sheer joy as we have finished a place or two above the season before (eg 18th then 17th) - the “How can this be called progress?” brigade watch the games and see consistently dire home performances every season with very few shots at the ‘goal’ thing and a confused bunch of players who bumble through games not looking as though they really know what the game plan is, but they pick up the odd good away victory (not always deserved) to placate us, many don’t see that as ‘progress’ ... just my opinion ?

That's a fair point - but I don't think there's much need to divide fans into different 'brigades', just different ways of looking at information. I think year on year progression is impressive, and whilst that continues LJ is here to stay. Lansdown's background means he's a pragmatic bottom line kind of guy. I imagine LJ's key performance indicators will be progression on the pitch (accounting for mitigating factors such as injury) and adhering to FFP (whilst hopefully making a profit). 

On the flip side, people are clearly concerned with the home performances and lack of entertainment. That's an issue on which I agree, we have a real problem breaking down teams that play for the draw/hold onto a lead. That's been an issue for a couple of years now. 

It depends on both the fans definition of progress and the board's too - but year on year progression is a fact. If he doesn't make playoffs this season after the backing he's had in Jan then I expect the board to ask serious questions.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's a fair point - but I don't think there's much need to divide fans into different 'brigades', just different ways of looking at information. I think year on year progression is impressive, and whilst that continues LJ is here to stay. Lansdown's background means he's a pragmatic bottom line kind of guy. I imagine LJ's key performance indicators will be progression on the pitch (accounting for mitigating factors such as injury) and adhering to FFP (whilst hopefully making a profit). 

On the flip side, people are clearly concerned with the home performances and lack of entertainment. That's an issue on which I agree, we have a real problem breaking down teams that play for the draw/hold onto a lead. That's been an issue for a couple of years now. 

It depends on both the fans definition of progress and the board's too - but year on year progression is a fact. If he doesn't make playoffs this season after the backing he's had in Jan then I expect the board to ask serious questions.

Apologies for using the word ‘brigade’ - I agree it’s a ‘fact’ about year on year ‘progression’ but I suspect that is mainly acknowledged by the Board rather than the fans - given Mr Lansdown’s pre season interviews, it sounded like play offs was the minimum he expected in 2019/2020 after all the investment - and I suspect he will currently be even more adamant about this given the backing he’s just given LJ in the January window - even though our Head Coach proudly pronounced ‘judge me after three transfer windows’ - in 2016!!!! ??

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies for using the word ‘brigade’

No problem I know what you meant, was just being persnickety ?

- I agree it’s a ‘fact’ about year on year ‘progression’ but I suspect that is mainly acknowledged by the Board rather than the fans - given Mr Lansdown’s pre season interviews, it sounded like play offs was the minimum he expected in 2019/2020 after all the investment - and I suspect he will currently be even more adamant about this given the backing he’s just given LJ in the January window -

Agreed - playoffs is the expectation for me. Has been all season. I think he was a bit unlucky with injuries earlier in the season, but even so he's been allowed to strengthen with proven quality in Jan so I expect playoffs.

even though our Head Coach proudly pronounced ‘judge me after three transfer windows’ - in 2016!!!! ??

That particular quote is interesting, I think over time he's been slightly misquoted and different meanings inferred. It was taken from this interview I believe. He was basically talking about the limitations of transfer windows (teams not wanting to sell, inflated prices etc) and the quote in question was..

"To get a true reflection of one of my teams it'll probably take three windows, but we'll look to fast-track that."

Quite an interesting quote because the key point there is 'true reflection of one of my teams' - what does 'one of his teams' look like? Would be interesting to know what his answer to that would be. 

Archived