IGNORED

Home Form

Maesknoll Red

23 minutes ago, city1983 said:

It’s so frustrating, because away from home Johnson clearly has it nailed. This is a tough tough division, and I expect that away from home Johnson’s record is up there with some of the best that have managed anyone in this league let alone Bristol city, and for that reason alone he deserves to stay. But at home we look clueless and devoid of confidence and he seems to have no idea how to change it. No matter the opposition we cannot get into a pattern of play and dominate a team. As soon as he cracks that we’ll be laughing. I do fear that even though on paper it looks a great transfer window, he’ll now need his 20 odd games to figure out his best team again.
I’m confident that we’ll be promoted before we’re relegated under Johnson but it won’t be this season or any time soon.

better the devil you know I think. Chopping and changing the manger is not the answer, and some of the names banded around are a joke. 

I agree with your first couple of sentences.

But. The fact it will take 20 odd games for him to know his starting 11 is laughable. That's just not acceptable. What on earth do he and his coaches do on the training ground?

Better the devil you know? Im sorry but no. That lacks the same amount of ambition as Lee Johnson has playing at home. We should not be fearful of being relegated. No matter who is in charge. One area we are doing so well in, is finding players to sell for more, to improve our team. We have MA for that. Sadly imo our weakest link is the tactically inept LJ. This is an area we can and SHOULD improve upon if we actually want to be serious in being a Premier league team. 

19 minutes ago, city1983 said:

It’s so frustrating, because away from home Johnson clearly has it nailed. This is a tough tough division, and I expect that away from home Johnson’s record is up there with some of the best that have managed anyone in this league let alone Bristol city, and for that reason alone he deserves to stay. But at home we look clueless and devoid of confidence and he seems to have no idea how to change it. No matter the opposition we cannot get into a pattern of play and dominate a team. As soon as he cracks that we’ll be laughing. I do fear that even though on paper it looks a great transfer window, he’ll now need his 20 odd games to figure out his best team again.
I’m confident that we’ll be promoted before we’re relegated under Johnson but it won’t be this season or any time soon.

better the devil you know I think. Chopping and changing the manger is not the answer, and some of the names banded around are a joke. 

The loan signings will have disappeared by then!

38 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Because we've got to sit and watch it and it's shit. 

Myself and my son have missed a few home games this season and we've seen 2 wins in 7 months. We both walked out of the ground tonight and said to each other "no more".

I don't care if we're 6th or 60th, we won't be returning until a concerted effort is made to get the home performances to an acceptable level.

Considering not renewing my season ticket after 45 continuous seasons so please restore my faith Lee...  Playing Wells Wednesday would be a start 

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

But. The fact it will take 20 odd games for him to know his starting 11 is laughable. That's just not acceptable. What on earth do he and his coaches do on the training ground?

Better the devil you know? Im sorry but no. That lacks the same amount of ambition as Lee Johnson has playing at home. We should not be fearful of being relegated. No matter who is in charge. One area we are doing so well in, is finding players to sell for more, to improve our team. We have MA for that. Sadly imo our weakest link is the tactically inept LJ. This is an area we can and SHOULD improve upon if we actually want to be serious in being a Premier league team. 

I think SL has to come out and be honest about what his ambitions are.

Is he happy with us being a team that flirts briefly with playoffs positions each year but fails, as long as we are selling players for profit? Or is he serious about wanting promotion? Because LJ isn't the way forward for the latter. 

Maybe if he came out and said if he is ok with the level of performance offered by a LJ team as long as we aint going down, regardless of performance, and as long as we are selling our key assests for profit. I could then decide on if its worthwhile having to spend the outlandish prices on ticket and travel to watch this dog shit home performance week in wee out. Because it just isn't worth it with the way LJ has us playing. LJ seems to be happy with this shitty setup at home. Or he seems incapable of trying anything else. 

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This is a league I’ve only ever known us to struggle in. I’ve swung back and forth more times than Philip schofield on whether Johnson should be sacked. 
I wanted Johnson snr sacked and things got worse and worse every season after he left until eventual we were inevitably relegated.

johnson drives me mad at times but he has achieved something I have never known at this level which is year on year progression (in points on league position)

if you think that landsdown will sack Johnson and go and appoint a Bielsa or nuno Espírito Santo then you are dillusional. I’d like to think he’d appoint Nigel Adkins, but it would more likely be Jamie mcalister. 

24 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Can I ask why chopping and changing managers is not the answer 

48 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Serious question then - why are the home attendances increasing, even though the ticket prices are more expensive than ever?

The price of football and the food and drink are too high for me, so I only get to see about 1 home game every 5 weeks; I always wish tickets could be cheaper, but see that the attendances are going up so this will never happen.

What is attracting all the fans if the games are generally so poor?

Our good away form has unbelievably given us a shot at the playoffs still. People are buying tickets in anticipation of Premier League football.

4 minutes ago, city1983 said:

This is a league I’ve only ever known us to struggle in. I’ve swung back and forth more times than Philip schofield on whether Johnson should be sacked. 
I wanted Johnson snr sacked and things got worse and worse every season after he left until eventual we were inevitably relegated.

johnson drives me mad at times but he has achieved something I have never known at this level which is year on year progression (in points on league position)

if you think that landsdown will sack Johnson and go and appoint a Bielsa or nuno Espírito Santo then you are dillusional. I’d like to think he’d appoint Nigel Adkins, but it would more likely be Jamie mcalister. 

I never ever said I think SL will sack Johnson. I sadly don't think he will. 

9 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Considering not renewing my season ticket after 45 continuous seasons so please restore my faith Lee...  Playing Wells Wednesday would be a start 

Crikey MR, you must have started watching City around the same time as me. My first season was 75/76. We peaked too early. ?

29 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Away from home is different because you don’t have to play the football yourself’s. You can let the home team dominate possession, sit in, defend, ride your luck and counter with pace. Unfortunately we have a manager who thinks that’s it’s possible to do this in home games as well?.

So basically we have a manager who is quite content for the opposition to play all the football, it seems that his tactics consist of trying to nullify the opposition, rather than his own team create anything. 

It’s such a shame to watch City at AG now, all those years where we would take the game to the opposition with width, pace, desire and actually go out with a purpose, have now turned into dull, boring, hope for the best football. That is all down to one person.

34 minutes ago, city1983 said:

34 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Probably the first sensible comment I’ve read since the full time whistle tonight. Standard embarrassing over reaction from our fan base. 

We lost in a typical football tale you’ve seen a 100 times before our errors played into their hands and mentally when Weimann gave them something to cling on to they did what we’ve done to many teams this season, men behind the ball and bodies on the line. Breaking down 11 men is difficult especially when our 3 centre half’s were forced into becoming dynamic creative midfielders which clearly doesn’t rank highly in Baker or Williams’s skillet. 

We got played at our own game but we’ve got a squad to bounce back. As for Johnson, not much he could do about Jack Hunt playing a first time pass instead of controlling and finding feet and then Weimann putting one in our onion bag. Only thing he can do is adjust the personnel and tactics to get a positive result vs Derby. LJ ain’t going nowhere, if your pissed off start whipping up a song and dance at the game and show some vocal support instead of bashing the bloke in the comfort of a Internet forum, we could do with some ******* voices at home.

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Away from home is different because you don’t have to play the football yourself’s. You can let the home team dominate possession, sit in, defend, ride your luck and counter with pace. Unfortunately we have a manager who thinks that’s it’s possible to do this in home games as well?.

So basically we have a manager who is quite content for the opposition to play all the football, it seems that his tactics consist of trying to nullify the opposition, rather than his own team create anything. 

It’s such a shame to watch City at AG now, all those years where we would take the game to the opposition with width, pace, desire and actually go out with a purpose, have now turned into dull, boring, hope for the best football. That is all down to one person.

Spot on. And there is the flaw of Lee Johnson. This shows his ineptitude. This is why we wont be anywhere near the top 6 at the end of the season imo. 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There was a post in the match day thread that gave some incorrect statistics, but even the correct ones don’t make great reading and give credence to those with doubts or even more definitive thoughts on LJ’s tenure.

So, season, wins/number of matches at home (league only)

15/16: 4/8

16/17: 11/23

17/18: 11/23

18/19: 9/23

19/20: 6/15

That totals 41/93 with the trend getting worse.  It’s frustrating to watch at home and not improving,  my eyes and the figures back that up, if those who cannot see why some are doubting LJ is the man to take us forward, these figures won’t convince you, especially if these performances don’t.

Sorry to be pedantic MR, but we only won 8 home League games last season. We drew 8 and lost 7: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Bristol_City_F.C._season. Here's food for thought, we need to win 5 of our last 8 home games to equal our total AG wins in 2016/17 and 2017/18; 11.

Totally agree. LJ will take us nowhere. My 7 and a half year old son was there tonight to witness another abject display. He has barely seen us win at home over the last 2 seasons. He doesn't enjoy the games because there is little for him to get excited about. He is a good footballer himself and a developing knowledge about the game but can't take much more of this. Our family seats cost nearly  £1k a season why should we invest in this? LJ and his coaching team etc have had enough time and money.  Time for a change. 

• Admin
7 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Sorry to be pedantic MR, but we only won 8 home League games last season. We drew 8 and lost 7: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Bristol_City_F.C._season. Here's food for thought, we need to win 5 of our last 8 home games to equal our total AG wins in 2016/17 and 2017/18; 11.

You’re right, I think I counted the FA cup game against Bolton, figures in OP revised and now it looks even worse......

Here’s an easier statistic. We have lost 4 out of our last 6 home matches, and the only teams we have beaten have been those with the worst away records in the division in Luton (beaten easily) and Barnsley (only just beaten). Derby have a surprisingly bad away record too, but that was pre-Rooney. 

The reality is that our home form has been relatively poor and our Achilles heel for 2-3 seasons, and it’s even worse this season than before. We are second in the League away from home and 16th at home. Unless there is a dramatic change in how we play at home, the playoffs will slip away again, just like the last 2 seasons. The players change but the problem remains the same, which is why there is so much questioning of the tactics of LJ and his coaching team.

The worst thing about the home form is the effect it has on the majority of our supporters, who see that we are doing well in the league on the back of our away form, but are regularly frustrated and disappointed by our performances at Ashton Gate. As we all know, it’s the hope being dashed that really kills enthusiasm.

We cannot break down well organised sides who sit back. We are a counter attack side who look like we can’t play any other way. 

Last night it took us 81 minutes to create a chance in open play. The chance was created by Williams as well. Pretty sure their keeper didn’t make one save. 

Its been a problem at home for a while now. Which we need to address soon. 

I think playing 3-5-2 and giving Hunt and Dasilva more licence to get forward would help. We need to playing both Diedhiou and Wells upfront when we are at home.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

We cannot break down well organised sides who sit back. We are a counter attack side who look like we can’t play any other way. 

Last night it took us 81 minutes to create a chance in open play. The chance was created by Williams as well. Pretty sure their keeper didn’t make one save. 

Its been a problem at home for a while now. Which we need to address soon. 

I think playing 3-5-2 and giving Hunt and Dasilva more licence to get forward would help. We need to playing both Diedhiou and Wells upfront when we are at home.

Hang on though, for 30 minutes Birmingham took the game to us and we looked crap then too! 

A goal up and playing on the counter, we should have been in our element, but we got schooled.

Today was the perfect opportunity to play our away style game, but we blew it.  Gifted a goal in the very first minute, we were then in a position to sit back, bring the opposition onto us........as we do when playing away, and hit them on the break.  Instead out midfield pushes too far forward, instead of holding onto what we have..and we get suckered punched.  Tactically naive, and too many players going through the motions. What a frustrating and annoying football team we are?  PS. Didn't Brum look exhausted from the game 2 days previously that went to extra time? Not.

7 days ago when they were 1-0 down QPR threw everything at us including the proverbial kitchen sink.We eventually won because we were defending for our lives during wave after wave of attack.

I don't think Birmingham broke sweat in the last 20 minutes last night except to run up field and score a third.

On topic and in view of the current league table we haven''t beaten anyone at home who is placed higher than 16th.

Two of those games we were outplayed but won 1-0 and another one we scored the winner in the 98th minute that disguised another struggling display.

QPR outplayed us for large parts of the game earlier in the season and the 2-0 win flattered us.

Luton and Huddersfield represent the entertainment so far this season at home and both those teams were struggling badly when we played them.

15 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Serious question then - why are the home attendances increasing, even though the ticket prices are more expensive than ever?

The price of football and the food and drink are too high for me, so I only get to see about 1 home game every 5 weeks; I always wish tickets could be cheaper, but see that the attendances are going up so this will never happen.

What is attracting all the fans if the games are generally so poor?

Would love to know the breakdown of SC and ticket sakes by age group.  Then I’d like to see the actual breakdown that go through the turnstile.

I might be way off, but I think the adult plus kid(s) offer on SCs has an influence in totals, if not that go through the turnstiles.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Would love to know the breakdown of SC and ticket sakes by age group.  Then I’d like to see the actual breakdown that go through the turnstile.

I might be way off, but I think the adult plus kid(s) offer on SCs has an influence in totals, if not that go through the turnstiles.

I have a similar theory to you Dave. Me thinks people buy a £50 kids season ticket so that they get a free shirt (worth £30), a free seat next to them and a ticket that they can upgrade at any time and possibly flog to a mate for a small profit. I'm all for encouraging kids to attend games but why not make it £5 per ticket for under 12's rather than adults taking advantage of cheap (almost free) season tickets.

Archived