IGNORED

Why the **** is Nakhi Wells on the bench?

Lez

8 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Henriksen has played 389 minutes of football this season. Over 5 matches, all for Norway in the Euro qualifiers. Zero in the Championship. His last game was on Monday November 18th, 80 days ago. We've sold an ever present and replaced him with a loanee who can't be match fit. Why? And how long until he's ready? Was it worth the risk?

........yet someone says he should have played instead of Massengo????

Some of the comments on here!

:facepalm:

9 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Anyone hear the pre-match interview (not sure when it was recorded) where Johnson said we have to be careful not to over-coach Nahki Wells? 

An interesting admission that we have been over-complicating things a tad?

An interesting point yes.

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

He had quite an impact on tonight's game tbf, impressive header to score, definitely wasn't a 'safe option' … ?

Very droll old boy!

19 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe, but he got a goal. Wells didnt have a touch last night

To be fair Wells had quite a few touches and he came back to mop up in defence too. Thought his movement was good. Should have played from the start no question.

21 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe, but he got a goal. Wells didnt have a touch last night

Don’t know why we bought Wells. Doesn’t fit our style of play and wasn’t the problem area for the squad.

Lee is in a bit of pickle with it all now.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Henriksen probably isn’t match fit or even close hence why Nagy came on. 

I understand the rationale of why managers don’t change winning teams, but would’ve wanted to see Wells for Weimann too.

On the basis Henriksen was on the bench last night, he must be OK?

After the performance of the MF last night, expect to see him make his debut on Wednesday in place of HNM.

21 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Don’t know why we bought Wells. Doesn’t fit our style of play and wasn’t the problem area for the squad.

Lee is in a bit of pickle with it all now.

Only think we will get the best out of Wells with Palmer/Pato playing in behind him.....that’s what worked for him at QPR

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Man management. 4 game winning streak, you don't change it.

Now we lost, expect the changes. It's much easier to justify.

I'm afraid that isn't man management it's weak management.

Wells should have started. Weve been getting results despite performances recently and our luck just ran out.

Good management would have been to be aware of that and act on it beforehand.

11 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Henriksen has played 389 minutes of football this season. Over 5 matches, all for Norway in the Euro qualifiers. Zero in the Championship. His last game was on Monday November 18th, 80 days ago. We've sold an ever present and replaced him with a loanee who can't be match fit. Why? And how long until he's ready? Was it worth the risk?

Long term planning, I guess. Henriksen is a free agent in the summer. If he does well with us and likes it here we would probably have first shot at signing him permanently. If we can get him match fit and up to speed for the final couple of months of the season then we have a very good player in our team. Definately worth the risk imo.

Plus the ever present we sold for well over the odds and hasn't exactly been pulling up trees lately.

On 07/02/2020 at 23:58, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Sad that I can’t praise a bloke for doing a good job overall. Just funny that when we are on a winning streak this forum is quiet and then we lose one game and tossers like you all come flooding in.

Our winning streaks are great, but are matched in turn by our losing streaks. 

You can't blame fans for being frustrated when we've only won 6 of our 15 home games this season and yet we've not long spent £8m on Kalas, roughly £8m on Massengo and £4m on a prolific goalscorer who can't even seem to get into the starting line up. 

The fans have a right to be frustrated with LJ, anyone who looks beyond the table and actually watches our games can see LJ is out of his depth tactically hence the streaks. Confidence goes up and the players fought through some poor performances to get some points, confidence goes down and the tactics aren't there to help the players pull through it. LJ may be able to motivate from time to time but he's outclassed tactically time after time in this league. 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Our winning streaks are great, but are matched in turn by our losing streaks. 

You can't blame fans for being frustrated when we've only won 6 of our 15 home games this season and yet we've not long spent £8m on Kalas, roughly £8m on Massengo and £4m on a prolific goalscorer who can't even seem to get into the starting line up. 

The fans have a right to be frustrated with LJ, anyone who looks beyond the table and actually watches our games can see LJ is out of his depth tactically hence the streaks. Confidence goes up and the players fought through some poor performances to get some points, confidence goes down and the tactics aren't there to help the players pull through it. LJ may be able to motivate from time to time but he's outclassed tactically time after time in this league. 

We didn’t spend 8 million on Massengo it was reported in France as 3 million with a twenty per cent sell on.

( Foot Mercato - ‘ Vendu pour 3 M€ + 20% à la revente, ‘ ) 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We didn’t spend 8 million on Massengo it was reported in France as 3 million with a twenty per cent sell on.

( Foot Mercato - ‘ Vendu pour 3 M€ + 20% à la revente, ‘ ) 

And reported in numerous other places as deals totalling £8m. Even if the £3m is correct that is £3m on an 18 year old that just doesn't seem to fit into the starting 11. The expectations that came with him were and still are huge, LJ simply isn't getting the best out of him. 

On 08/02/2020 at 09:55, Nibor said:

I'm afraid that isn't man management it's weak management.

Wells should have started. Weve been getting results despite performances recently and our luck just ran out.

Good management would have been to be aware of that and act on it beforehand.

Spot on. Any fan could have said “we won, keep the same side”.

The manager  gets paid to pick a team to win the next match, or he should, not to keep the 11 previous starters happy.

Wells was fit, in form, and had trained with the squad, we were at home, he should have started no question.

I’ll bet Brum were well happy to see him on the bench, and by the time he did get on the bizarre formation adopted did him no favours.

I thought he’d start Wells, but I understand why he didn’t.  Think it was damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

I’m not gonna beat LJ up over this one.

What I do think is that a loss gives him a clean slate to pick Wednesday’s team without fear of anyone knocking on his door and saying why have they been left out.

Perhaps it was the fear of someone like Weimann being unhappy at being left out.  That’s man-management and courage of convictions for you.

It felt a bit like MIllwall (h) earlier this season when he went unchanged (from Fulham) and we looked stale/tired.  That night it was easy in hindsight to say he should’ve freshened it up, but again that night, I saw why he did what he did.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he’d start Wells, but I understand why he didn’t.  Think it was damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

What I do think is that a loss gives him a clean slate to pick Wednesday’s team without fear of anyone knocking on his door and saying why have they been left out.

Perhaps it was the fear of someone like Weimann being unhappy at being left out.  That’s man-management and courage of convictions for you.

It felt a bit like MIllwall (h) earlier this season when he went unchanged (from Fulham) and we looked stale/tired.  That night it was easy in hindsight to say he should’ve freshened it up, but again that night, I saw why he did what he did.

Spot on that Dave in every respect

In fairness to LJ he was , as you say absolutely damned if he made changes and damned if he didnt

if we won everyone would have praised him , as we lost he was going to get criticised by some for whatever he’d started

FWIW I would have done what he did and stayed the same , though I would have matched them 4-4-2 

Id also have praised up the starting 11 but giving them a little nudge of what’s waiting in the wings if they arnt at it

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have to disagree with you.

We didn’t have the option of a 13 goal striker to pick against Millwall, LJ did have that option against Brum, and bottled it.

It’s his job to use the players at his disposal to try and win games, he’d lost Brownhill, but chose not to play the goal scorer he himself, along with Ashton, had admitted we needed.

Any player worth his salt would be upset at being left out, but that’s what LJ gets paid to deal with.

IF, and it’s a big if, Weimann makes way for Wells I don’t expect him to be happy, tough, as Brum showed we desperately need a proven goal scorer on the pitch to help Diedhiou.

We won’t have the chance to win that game again, and in my opinion LJ failed to pick a player who HAS proved to be the difference in games this season, and having taken the easy option LJ has now made his job for the rest of the season that much harder.

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

In fairness to LJ he was , as you say absolutely damned if he made changes and damned if he didnt

if we won everyone would have praised him , as we lost he was going to get criticised by some for whatever he’d started

OMG - Mr BiPolar or what ? 

8 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

OMG - Mr BiPolar or what ? 

My oh my 

You really are showing yourself up to be absolute pond life you clearly are

You are way off the mark but this is the second (attempted) insult (From your keyboard) regarding serious health issues within a few hours

Wow

You want to be careful - fate has a nasty way of biting you on the arse when you throw around such bile regarding things like health

Wow

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on that Dave in every respect

FWIW I would have done what he did and stayed the same , though I would have matched them 4-4-2 

Id also have praised up the starting 11 but giving them a little nudge of what’s waiting in the wings if they arnt at it

Not really, all he had to do was win.  What he did was persist with a selection that had scraped through the last few games, left out the striker we've been begging for since September and watched us put in an absolute steaming turd of a performance going forward.  If he'd played Wells up front and we'd lost I very much doubt anybody would have criticised him for not starting Weiman.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My oh my 

You really are showing yourself up to be absolute pond life you clearly are

You are way off the mark but this is the second (attempted) insult (From your keyboard) regarding serious health issues within a few hours

Wow

You want to be careful - fate has a nasty way of biting you on the arse when you throw around such bile regarding things like health

Wow

Laughable

You continually jab at people on the forum and when you get some back you act all offended. Not only a sad shit stirrer but a wimp as well. 

Not being funny mate but you should read your posts back to yourself. Perhaps a period of self reflection is in order.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Not really, all he had to do was win.  What he did was persist with a selection that had scraped through the last few games, left out the striker we've been begging for since September and watched us put in a absolute steaming turd of a performance going forward.  If he'd played Wells up front and we'd lost I very much doubt anybody would have criticised him for not starting Weiman.

You may be right Nibor , or he certainly would have got less 

Winning was the key to any decision !

ive said I think Wells is decent but not the Messiah some expect him to be (IMHO) and can only have had limited time on training pitch to work with

Unfortunately AW then compounded any criticism for having one of his worst nights in a red shirt (Tho he wasn’t alone) so it put extra focus on the Wells option

He also has to consider keeping faith with and showing loyalty to those that had won 3 games in the road

Ultimately his job is to pick the eleven and bench to win the game but he may well have thought he was

Having got used to some of his thinking I do wonder whether he saw Wells (& others) winning the game from the bench 

8 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Laughable

You continually jab at people on the forum and when you get some back you act all offended. Not only a sad shit stirrer but a wimp as well. 

Not being funny mate but you should read your posts back to yourself. Perhaps a period of self reflection is in order.

Im not personally offended

I think it shows exactly what you are  

Be careful what you fish for

As always,  if we win everything is fine but if we lose then we have otib! Genuine question to anyone... do we set up to our strengths formation wise and play whatever and make the other team adapt to our style or do we always have to match "them"? I try to increase my knowledge of the game through reading the forum but usually come away confused! A bit like do we play "squad" football and rotate the team or do we "tinker"?

32 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Have to disagree with you.

We didn’t have the option of a 13 goal striker to pick against Millwall, LJ did have that option against Brum, and bottled it.

It’s his job to use the players at his disposal to try and win games, he’d lost Brownhill, but chose not to play the goal scorer he himself, along with Ashton, had admitted we needed.

Any player worth his salt would be upset at being left out, but that’s what LJ gets paid to deal with.

IF, and it’s a big if, Weimann makes way for Wells I don’t expect him to be happy, tough, as Brum showed we desperately need a proven goal scorer on the pitch to help Diedhiou.

We won’t have the chance to win that game again, and in my opinion LJ failed to pick a player who HAS proved to be the difference in games this season, and having taken the easy option LJ has now made his job for the rest of the season that much harder.

⏬⏬⏬

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Not really, all he had to do was win.  What he did was persist with a selection that had scraped through the last few games, left out the striker we've been begging for since September and watched us put in an absolute steaming turd of a performance going forward.  If he'd played Wells up front and we'd lost I very much doubt anybody would have criticised him for not starting Weiman.

And perhaps that shows that you are both more ruthless than our head-coach (or me for that matter). ??????

Might be a job going in the summer...get your CV’s ready.

2 minutes ago, Midred said:

As always,  if we win everything is fine but if we lose then we have otib! Genuine question to anyone... do we set up to our strengths formation wise and play whatever and make the other team adapt to our style or do we always have to match "them"? I try to increase my knowledge of the game through reading the forum but usually come away confused! A bit like do we play "squad" football and rotate the team or do we "tinker"?

When we have a system that’s drilled, you do exactly what you are saying.  But we don’t, so we tinker through lack of courage of convictions.

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Bollocks.

You are a shit stirrer and all this attention is probably the highlight of your life

Enjoy the group therapy 

As he dribbles whilst Still tapping furiously at his keyboard  ?

Classy 

What a melt

Brilliant

Looks like your still wetting your boxers about getting yourself banned 

Bless 

Archived