IGNORED

Lee had offers.

glen humphries

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

On OSIB the other week they said LJ isn’t likeable.  I think they went a bit further in fact. ?

For me he has things I really like, and he has others I don’t / frustrate the hell out of me. 

Lee has talked himself up more than Bobby Robson, Bob Paisley or (take yer pick of many successful yet humble managers of the past) maybe even Klopp. That is going to grate with many, but not all, people. Even while he's doing a more than decent job.

It's not talking yourself up that's the problem, Clough was hugely entertaining, Mourinho too, it's doing it before you've achieved anything that gets people's backs up.

Lee is not everybody's cup of tea, and even a fine win percentage will struggle to change that.

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of him doing that. Felt really uncomfortable with comments he's made - the ones that stick out for me were Taylor Moore vs Ipswich and a few times with Magnússon. 

I don't think anyone sees it as a big deal really, just an interesting talking point. 

Fair comment on both counts mate .

17 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I've calmed down a bit now, I'm just getting a bit fed-up with all of the doom merchants when things aren't actually that bad.  I get that our home form is terrible, but our away form is great.  Its all about league position and getting us to where we need to be for the run in. 

@BobBobSuperBob my apologies, I find your writing style sometimes unnecessarily aggressive, but doing that isn't called for.  Sorry.  We all support Bristol City, and maybe I let my passion come out in the wrong ways.  I don't always agree with what you write or how you write it, but I respect you as a poster and that you have strong views such as myself. 

I'm not sure its doom merchants but I think people are frustrated that we are and have been so close to promotion but we cant quite seen to get over that line.

I suspect that the longer Lee fails to push us that one step further, the more frustrated people will become and consequently lose faith that Lee will ever get us there.

1 hour ago, One man went.... said:

If you want some banter sweetheart bring it on. But keep your 6 fingers off the report button petal. I am close to a ban after my efforts in the Brexit debacle.

If the level of your 'banter' is to insinuate people are effeminate in some way for disagreeing with you about football, then please please don't inflict any more of it on us ffs.

It just makes you look as thick as mince I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Most City fans I know hate him. Most City fans are also not bigging him up on a forum

I bet they don't big him up because they'll get called names by people who don't like LJ.

2 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Sorry who are you? Why do you feel the need to answer for someone else?

A) It's a forum, anyone can post. That's the nature of forums.

B) I wasn't answering for anyone. More a general observation. Carry on making yourself look like a nause if you want, it's all good.

Lots of people have strong opinions on the topic, you're one of the few looking to insult anyone who doesn't agree with them.

1 minute ago, One man went.... said:

No because they don't rate as a footballer or man or coach.. Paul Hartley would be a better all round choice but he chose Scotland ..

People can have a critical view of Johnson but I can't really take people's opinions seriously if they reference his ability as a player. It's totally irrelevant but perhaps reveals unconscious bias as to why you don't like him as a manager.. a hangover of you not rating him as a player.

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Like?

Err..

and despite some frustrating home performances the majority of fans are behind him

But the vast majority are also able to see the positives

You can't possibly say those things with certainty. For sure, fans at the most recent away games have been singing his name, but 2,000 fans are not representative of the total fanbase is it, any more than otib, and were all those fans singing his name at Luton Barnsley Charlton and West Brom ? Genuine question by the way as I didn't go to any.

It really doesn't matter what fans think because the vast majority will turn up and spend money anyway (I think we should be able to agree on that) and LJ is here for the long haul because the owner will want vindication of his recruitment. He will i'm sure continue to divide opinion until he at least gets us in the playoffs, and the team turns up even if they ultimately fail.

That is progress after last seasons finish, not 7th.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I've replied to one man's mini me comment once, and there was nothing in that one reply that showed indignation or infuriation. I would say that's quite a stretch by you to read that into my post, perhaps you're being a little sensitive on his behalf?

Dismissive? Yes absolutely, if the level of someone's debate is to name call, then i'm not bothering. Hence why, which also proves my complete lack of indignation or fury, i've not engaged him again.

Back to the LJ comment - as i've said already, it is about context, one is banter in a press conference another is a pointless derogatory term not said in a banterous way. 

Either way, i'm not defending LJ. I'm sure he can do that himself. I'm simply defending a) who i'm going to bother debating with and b) what I believe is to be a civil human being. Be that calling LJ mini me on OTIB or some celeb being called a fat pig on twitter. 

And ultimately, all i've said is, in one post to one poster, if that's the level of your debate, i'm not bothering. You've picked it up and run with it. You're talking like i've just started a thread about how everyone should stop calling LJ names.

Your post came over as indignant, your decision to then cut him out of the debate also indicates a high level of annoyance to the comment.

'Infuriated' at the moment of reply? That was my take on it, but I accept from your reply you did not reach that heightened state. You certainly seemed to be bristling in a way it was easy to interpret your post that way though.

You seem to be attempting to strike a significant difference between what @One man went.... said and LJ's comment. I don't see it that way - both open to interpretation by the reader, if someone wishes to see either of them as out of order they will. To find one insulting and not the other is a curious position to take though imo.

Hopefully you'll re engage with @One man went...., as a 3rd party it looks strange to have felt the need to tell him off and make such a big thing of something so trivial that you could have just ignored.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People can have a critical view of Johnson but I can't really take people's opinions seriously if they reference his ability as a player. It's totally irrelevant but perhaps reveals unconscious bias as to why you don't like him as a manager.. a hangover of you not rating him as a player.

Thats a good point, because I certainly didn't rate him as a player and felt he was picked by his dad because that was his dad.

Having said that, I genuinely gave the man a clean slate and after some worrying streaks,  had high hopes until midpoint 2 seasons ago.

Since then, he hasn't shown he's the man to lead the club to genuine progression, not incremental upward league finishes.

Quite why a club constantly strives to improve the quality of playing staff and not look closely at coaches is baffling.

6 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Thats a good point, because I certainly didn't rate him as a player and felt he was picked by his dad because that was his dad.

Having said that, I genuinely gave the man a clean slate and after some worrying streaks,  had high hopes until midpoint 2 seasons ago.

Since then, he hasn't shown he's the man to lead the club to genuine progression, not incremental upward league finishes.

Quite why a club constantly strives to improve the quality of playing staff and not look closely at coaches is baffling.

And that's a fair point of view. I didn't particularly like him as a player, there were far more talented midfielders around during his time with us - I much preferred watching David Noble, Paul Hartley, Evander Sno, Nick Carle, Gavin Williams, Marvin Elliot (and more). I felt that it was pretty tough for Johnson as a player because he was a steady player who kept getting picked at the expense of better midfielders. Obviously there'd be accusations of nepotism in those circumstances. 

I think having reservations about his management (with his playing career not being a factor) is fine though and what you've posted above are all valid concerns. I may not agree necessarily but can see why people believe it. 

4 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

I was just using the comparison to a coach who could actually play the game and may ultimately make up to become a better manager. IMO

I just don't think it's very relevant. I think sometimes outstanding players can have a bit of an aura about them which can assist them as managers (Lampard/Gerrard/Zidane) but overall it's not that important. 

It all comes back to when LJ was appointed.

I was one of the few people that wanted him from the very start. I'd been following his career when he left, as i had a feeling he'd manage us one day.

Problem was, City fans tend to think we are alot bigger than we actaully are and were expecting us to appoint some sort of big name manager. For many LJ wasnt a big enough name. And with the negativity that was there when he was a player, some people had already made their mind up about him, no matter what he does.

And they all come crawling out the wood work as soon as we lose a game.

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I rest my case....you lose all credibility when you say stuff like that. 

It’s personal, it’s emotional and frankly irrational that someone would come on a football forum and call him that. 

It’s odd at best, IMO

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Your post came over as indignant, your decision to then cut him out of the debate also indicates a high level of annoyance to the comment.

'Infuriated' at the moment of reply? That was my take on it, but I accept from your reply you did not reach that heightened state. You certainly seemed to be bristling in a way it was easy to interpret your post that way though.

You seem to be attempting to strike a significant difference between what @One man went.... said and LJ's comment. I don't see it that way - both open to interpretation by the reader, if someone wishes to see either of them as out of order they will. To find one insulting and not the other is a curious position to take though imo.

Hopefully you'll re engage with @One man went...., as a 3rd party it looks strange to have felt the need to tell him off and make such a big thing of something so trivial that you could have just ignored.

There is nothing, in my opinion, in my one post (quoted again above) that comes across as indignant or of a high level of annoyance. I even use the word "odd" to describe what I felt, is that either of those?

Frankly this whole exchange from you has come across as very hypocritical. 

You've gone out of your way to reply to a conversation which I was having and you've put words in my mouth that I simply haven't said.

You've accused me, incorrectly, of acting a certain way and then come across of acting very much that way yourself, you certainly seem rather annoyed and indignant with the fact that I may be dismissive of another posters opinion. Enough to go out of your way to join in the conversation and wade in. You've accused me of being sensitive and then you've completely over reacted/over read and in turn responded very sensitively to something you 'think' i've said to another poster. You've then accused me of finding the need to stick up for LJ but waded in on @One man went....'s behalf. And then the final cherry on the cake is to then accuse me of feeling the need to tell someone off, I could have simply ignored it, and yet you feel the need to come and tell me off, could have simply not ignored me?

All rather hypocritical IMO.

And you keep coming back to the comment LJ made in a press conference, which I made no reference to and gave no opinion of, until you brought it up. 

Finally, I don't believe the use of terms such as "mini me" or one of the many others used on here, to be trivial. If that's your opinion, I guess that says as much about you as it does about me. On this occasion, unlike you, I didn't go out of the way to reply to or to tell off a fellow poster, I responded directly to something I was tagged in.

33 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

I was just using the comparison to a coach who could actually play the game and may ultimately make up to become a better manager. IMO

Taking that through to the example used (Paul Hartley), and ignoring who was the better player (Hartley, but as stated that has no bearing on management ability).

Hartley had initial success with Alloa and Dundee, but has been sacked by Dundee and Falkirk subsequently. After being out of the game for a year, he’s now in charge of Scots League 2 Cove Rangers (ex Highland league, capacity somewhere near WSM ground).

That indicates that despite some success initially, he’s now not in the conversation for jobs at SPL or even Scots Champ Level.

What about where he currently is as a manager leads you to believe he’ll become a “better manager” than LJ, having failed twice and now in part time football?

Alternate question - if we were looking for a manager, would you be happy with him as an appointment considering his recent record?

17 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Scottish football is a minefield of amateur rubbish. Work is work and sometimes you have to feed the kids. Cove Rangers would probably beat the Gas mate.

It's an interesting one about good players maybe not being good coaches and vice versa.

I think LJ is probably a better coach than a player, but taking into consideration where most fans (dare I generalise?) plus the owner thinks we should now be, he isn't good enough.

Surprised that Hartley isn't at a more acomplished side, but as you say he has bills to pay, and fair play to him for staying in the game and trying to rebuild his rep.

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Because we're shit at home.

Derby are the second best home team in the league and we beat them there. One of only two teams to do so. 

In all reality though form is one of the most meaningless stats there is. We were in fantastic form heading into Friday. Counts for nought. 

But if form stats are your thing, only four sides have been worse away from home than Derby, whereas eight have been worse than us at home. So we should be winning at least 8-4 :) 

45 minutes ago, One man went.... said:

Indeed mate. Wenger and Mourinho to name but two and also Klopp . All not top notch footballers but the best coaches. I think Hartley would do a fine job at a decent English club given resources but he does throw his toys out the pram easily if restricted. But hey he was only a Celtic legend, so what could he possibley know over our fine LJ?

Being honest about it, have you really followed Paul Hartley's managerial career at Alloa, Dundee, Falkirk and Cove Rangers closely enough to be able to seriously say that with any certainty? I know I haven't and he was one of my favourite City players.

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Derby are the second best home team in the league and we beat them there. One of only two teams to do so. 

In all reality though form is one of the most meaningless stats there is. We were in fantastic form heading into Friday. Counts for nought. 

But if form stats are your thing, only four sides have been worse away from home than Derby, whereas eight have been worse than us at home. So we should be winning at least 8-4 :) 

I think our results in the last 4 league games pre Friday were good but form wasn't .

When your home  form in particular is pretty iffy, then a Brum game is just around the corner.

We can of course beat Derby piece of piss, although momentum is a powerful factor, and they appear to have it  currently.

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

FWIW (In response to others that have wondered) I reckon the two clubs that have shown interest in LJ since he has been at City are Villa and West Brom. That should melt a few brains...

Huge difference between ‘shown interest’ and ‘offered him the job’ - this thread is about actual ‘offers’ LJ has had - hence the thread title ....

• Admin
On 08/02/2020 at 07:10, glen humphries said:

In lj interview on sky just before kickoff he claimed he had had a couple of offers to leave us from other clubs anyone know who these clubs were, I’m calling it bullshit.

I don't know why but all I can picture is that Jay kid from the Inbetweeners that constantly makes up bullshit

image.png

45 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Refer to the season we lose the playoff final. Top when LJ got injured I believe and tailed off. To say he only got picked because of his dad is utter nonsense 

He barely played for anyone other than his dad so it is anything but nonsense.

Top going into the game against Southampton which we lost when LJ was playing. Final 4 league games minus Deshamps away to the champions which we lost, away to Sheffield United who had a better midfield than us whoever was available, a draw against a Wolves side and a win against a crap Preston side. We did ok against the form team Palace in the playoffs albeit nerve shredding at home, and then in the final the best midfielder in the Championship was inexplicably moved to right back....

Our form once the window shut up until the catastrophic injury you refer to was P13 W5 D4 L4 all featuring the main man. Not exactly promotion form was it ?

Ancient history anyway but just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions on your part.

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

He barely played for anyone other than his dad so it is anything but nonsense.

Top going into the game against Southampton which we lost when LJ was playing. Final 4 league games minus Deshamps away to the champions which we lost, away to Sheffield United who had a better midfield than us whoever was available, a draw against a Wolves side and a win against a crap Preston side. We did ok against the form team Palace in the playoffs albeit nerve shredding at home, and then in the final the best midfielder in the Championship was inexplicably moved to right back....

Our form once the window shut up until the catastrophic injury you refer to was P13 W5 D4 L4 all featuring the main man. Not exactly promotion form was it ?

Ancient history anyway but just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions on your part.

Fact is, we were top until LJ got injured. Then we fell away.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Fact is, we were top until LJ got injured. Then we fell away.

Fact is we were falling when he was part of the team, we just got overtaken by teams who had momentum at the right time.

About 1.4 points per game from window closing to his injury 1 point per game the final four.

Apply 1.4 points to those final four games we still would have finished outside the top 2.

Archived