IGNORED

Lee had offers.

glen humphries

Find it hard to believe any Prem or top half championship side would seriously court LJ as manager in the last 12 months. His stock was high when we played so well in the first half of the season with the League cup run, knocking out Man.U and giving Man.C a real game. Since then it's been all downhill in terms of the quality of the football, even if the league position finishes have inched upwards.

He has been given all the necessary tools to get the job done this season in terms of making the play-offs, the fact he left Wells on the bench to play his favourite Weimann and left his favourite on for 90 mins despite him having the worst game of many recent bad games, tells me he is going to blow a good position of reaching the play-offs for the 3rd season in a row. 

Don't believe LJ will ever lead us to a top 6 finish in this division, absolutely love him to prove me wrong!

If we do miss out on the play-offs hopefully SL will dismiss LJ and then we will see if these fabled offers to manage a top club really do exist or not!

As it stands, LJ would not have a snowball in hell's chance of "walking ' into a good Championship job. Those that think he would are seriously overrating him, if you ask me. A good fit for us, quite possibly. An exciting new appointment for the fans of another Championship side, hardly. 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

I don't think the facts bear that out mate.

Not saying that is justifiable or not, but it is remarkable, as you yourself pointed out on your entry into this thread. You have to ask yourself why that might be. We are one place off the play offs but many fans wouldn't be sorry to see him gone, that is odd isn't it.

That's as much, if not more, to do with our home record/performances than it is the man himself. 

Simplistic, but if you swapped our home and away records and so more supporters were seeing more wins then the current level of scepticism wouldn't be as severe.

Alternatively, if you are saying that no matter how well LJ was doing on the pitch his detractors would still be as prevalent then that's just a sad indictment of those people's personal dislike of the bloke and their views should be given short shrift.

42 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Find it hard to believe any Prem or top half championship side would seriously court LJ as manager in the last 12 months.

40 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

As it stands, LJ would not have a snowball in hell's chance of "walking ' into a good Championship job. 

Really, you think that if he was out of work right now and the managers positions were available that none of these teams would consider him? Basing it on your parameters above

These are the teams inside the top half of the table. I don't think he'd be in the running for WBA, Fulham or Leeds.

• Sheffield Wednesday
  • Blackburn Rovers
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Preston North End
  • Swansea City
  • Cardiff City
  • Brentford

These are teams outside the top half who you'd probably class as a 'good' Championship job

• Huddersfield Town
  • Charlton Athletic
  • Middlesborough
  • Reading
  • Birmingham City
  • Derby County
  • QPR
  • Stoke City

I think he'd be a realistic appointment for any of the names above. I think under those circumstances where he was available he'd be on shortlists for those clubs.

If we’re talking young exciting championship managers,  then you would only have to look as far as Cardiff and their new boss Neil Harris.

He has got them first and foremost playing nice football, he’s created an identifiable playing style and system and adhered to it, I’d be surprised if they didn’t finish above us as much as it pains me to say it!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's as much, if not more, to do with our home record/performances than it is the man himself. 

Simplistic, but if you swapped our home and away records and so more supporters were seeing more wins then the current level of scepticism wouldn't be as severe.

Alternatively, if you are saying that no matter how well LJ was doing on the pitch his detractors would still be as prevalent then that's just a sad indictment of those people's personal dislike of the bloke and their views should be given short shrift.

I think we can add to that list the all important factor that expectations have been raised beyond levels I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Frustration and impatience are manifesting as ‘dislike’ - whatever that vague term means.

A lot of the criticism I read centres around the idea that some people fundamentally believe SL has been afforded the club this wonderful once in a lifetime opportunity of promotion and LJ is simply in the way - unqualified, unworthy to start with and incapable. Now LJ’s wasting the chance, missing the proverbial open goal of promotion, something he’ll never be able to achieve and the dream will be gone.

Once you’ve made that decision in your head as a fan about your manager (whether justified or acknowledged by themselves) - and many made it very early on - all you’ll see is frustration, a sense of time wasted, you’ll over analyse personality traits, focus and enlarge the negatives and and ultimately your pent up emotions will turn to ‘dislike’ for the manager. I won’t add in the need for some to feel like they’re right too. 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

If we’re talking young exciting championship managers,  then you would only have to look as far as Cardiff and their new boss Neil Harris.

He has got them first and foremost playing nice football, he’s created an identifiable playing style and system and adhered to it, I’d be surprised if they didn’t finish above us as much as it pains me to say it!!!!!!!

?

9 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

Yes harsh, but it is reality. I am not saying LJ cannot come back or reinvent himself. Far from it. I am not saying he is not hard working and dedicated, he is. He simply lacks ability, experience, and vision. Champagne dreams beer ability. Too much too early , and an indulgence he will not get at any other club. So if he moves, he will. not get 4 years to show , well show anything. No team in the last 10 years has got promoted from the Championship to the Prem with a coach that has been at the club 4 years. LJ should have learnt his trade at the lower levels, learnt how to get a team promoted or worked for a top Prem side with the youth teams. Like the majority of his squad, he sends out,   he needs a loan period at a lower league side to gain experience and learn his trade.  Miles off what BCFC needs right now, and not talking first team, but the whole approach top to bottom in terms of footballing philosophy. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I think his time has run his course here and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that to progress we need to have a change of manager (although I’m resigned to the fact that there will certainly be no change in the near future).

But I just don’t agree that he won’t go on to another reasonably decent role. He has earned that imho. Not Prem as he’s not at that level but certainly not lower league 1 or youth football (unless it’s in charge of a very big academy or at St. George’s). 

Moving may well be the making of him and us - a fresh start with could be just what he needs as well as us. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really, you think that if he was out of work right now and the managers positions were available that none of these teams would consider him? Basing it on your parameters above

These are the teams inside the top half of the table. I don't think he'd be in the running for WBA, Fulham or Leeds.

• Sheffield Wednesday
  • Blackburn Rovers
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Preston North End
  • Swansea City
  • Cardiff City
  • Brentford

These are teams outside the top half who you'd probably class as a 'good' Championship job

• Huddersfield Town
  • Charlton Athletic
  • Middlesborough
  • Reading
  • Birmingham City
  • Derby County
  • QPR
  • Stoke City

I think he'd be a realistic appointment for any of the names above. I think under those circumstances where he was available he'd be on shortlists for those clubs.

I still don't believe that the fans of any of those teams you mention would desire LJ as their new manager. I'm not overly convinced many owners either would do whatever it takes to nab LJ from us. Difficult to prove either way, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

As it stands, LJ would not have a snowball in hell's chance of "walking ' into a good Championship job. Those that think he would are seriously overrating him, if you ask me. A good fit for us, quite possibly. An exciting new appointment for the fans of another Championship side, hardly. 

37 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I still don't believe that the fans of any of those teams you mention would desire LJ as their new manager. I'm not overly convinced many owners either would do whatever it takes to nab LJ from us. Difficult to prove either way, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. 

With respect though that's not what you initially said which is what I was replying to. Fans 'desiring' Johnson and owners coming in to poach Johnson aren't the same question as whether or not he'd have "a snowball in hell's chance of "walking ' into a good Championship job".

You're right it's difficult to prove, I suppose the only way we'd assess it is whether we'd be excited by the prospect of a manager from a similar placed club of a similar size (someone like Alex Neil, Steve Cooper or Neil Harris for example) replacing LJ right now based on what we know about those clubs.

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I think his time has run his course here and I believe, rightly or wrongly, that to progress we need to have a change of manager (although I’m resigned to the fact that there will certainly be no change in the near future).

But I just don’t agree that he won’t go on to another reasonably decent role. He has earned that imho. Not Prem as he’s not at that level but certainly not lower league 1 or youth football (unless it’s in charge of a very big academy or at St. George’s). 

Moving may well be the making of him and us - a fresh start with could be just what he needs as well as us. 

100%

I imagine some teams now are gagging for what LJ did for us when we were struggling for survival

31 minutes ago, Sturny said:

100%

I imagine some teams now are gagging for what LJ did for us when we were struggling for survival

Our own fans were gagging for what LJ has done just a couple of years ago....

3 minutes ago, cheese said:

I have, and they haven't.  So, at the risk of repeating myself, who?

@Psychopomp is a clueless, bluffer so you won't get a response. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our own fans were gagging for what LJ has done just a couple of years ago....

@Psychopomp is a clueless, bluffer so you won't get a response. 

I was told countless times that LJ would take us down...

Then i was told we'd always be in relegation battle...

Now they just pipe up when we lose a game.

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thank you, I'd started to wonder myself about that but was thinking more Bobby Charlton than Beckham!

Charlton was my first thought as well! Not sure if he featured in '58 and don't think he scored in '70 (we struggled for goals that world cup aside from the infamous QF) so must only be 62 and 66.

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I was told countless times that LJ would take us down...

Then i was told we'd always be in relegation battle...

Now they just pipe up when we lose a game.

Exactly… "he'll get us relegated" has turned into "he'll never get us promoted"

LJ will always fall short of some people's expectations no matter what he does...

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly… "he'll get us relegated" has turned into "he'll never get us promoted"

LJ will always fall short of some people's expectations no matter what he does...

What would your biggest criticism of LJ be out of interest?

Archived