IGNORED

Players wanting to go

scrumpy88

Interesting topic last night with people around me (with the football that was on show, we wasn’t engaged in the match that much!)

Why do our better players jump at the chance to leave as soon as they get chance?

Flint, Reid,  Bryan, Pack, Webster and now Brownhill 

I understand they might want premier league football but surly if they genuinely thought if we was going places as a club and Lee was the right manager they would of stayed to help get into the play offs. 

It’s a a two way thing.

We have a model to follow that, to be fair, helps ensure some financial stability while also allowing us to knock about in the top half of Div 2. 

I don’t think Lee is that great a coach. He’s alright. Don’t think he’ll ever get us up. The football on offer has been inept for 2/3 years now and we have become a ‘hardworking’ ‘stat collecting’ testament to modern football. But, I wouldn’t change him simply because of the set up we have in place and the fear of what happens if we change it.

17 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

Interesting topic last night with people around me (with the football that was on show, we wasn’t engaged in the match that much!)

Why do our better players jump at the chance to leave as soon as they get chance?

I understand they might want premier league football but surly if they genuinely thought if we was going places as a club and Lee was the right manager they would of stayed to help get into the play offs. 

Money .

19 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

Flint - at his stage of career probably last real opportunity for a big move and payday

Pack - we don’t know he ‘wanted’ to go necessarily. Similar reasons to Flint potentially and he had been here years so maybe just wanted a change.

Bryan - chance to move to the Prem, pay rise.

Reid - as above.

Webster - as above.

Brownhill - as above.

Not sure any of this is particularly surprising, don’t necessarily think it reflects badly on Bristol City or Johnson either. Arguably the opposite in some cases.

20 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

Players move at all clubs every window but I doubt whether the fans think it because of the manger they have.....:cool2:

Players move because it’s lucrative for them to do so. Two simple examples are Flint and Tomlin. It’s an easy way to enhance the bank balance. 

Clearly the opportunity to move up a league is another reason. Bryan, Reid, Webster, Kelly and Brownhill all did just that and increasing their wedges at the same time.

This is incredibly naive.

Why would Webster stay at a side that’s just finished 8th when he could hugely increase his salary and enjoy Premier League football with immediate effect? See also Reid, Bryan and Brownhill.

The six players you mentioned yes did want Prem football and couldn’t wait and are young and eager like all of us who want to achieve in our careers. The six are good players and have all done well for the club. 

The playing team at the moment that LJ has under him are probably the best players in the championship and something is wrong at the club where the players seem not being able to play naturally and are being coached by a manager that needs to leave or change his aspects on coaching going forward 

32 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

Wages and the chance to play in the premiership might have something to do with it. 

41 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

Well I know Reid went to Cardiff on 40k a week, and took a £1m signing on fee. 

He was on about 10k at City 

Thats a pretty big reason 

2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Players move clubs for the same reasons you and I move jobs, there is nothing more to it than that. 

Agreed as we do not want to stay with a company or football club where the coach walks the talk and has no ideas or knowledge to go that extra step further. It’s OK if you want to go with the flow but if you are a player at Bristol City at the moment I suppose give it one more month and hopefully the next games are away so you may get some points. Play as you normally would and not what LJ is telling you too do.

I can't think of one reason to stay here when a player can earn double, treble or quadruple their current salary elsewhere.

As well as being in a better position to be nearer an even bigger move in the future.

For example Webster plays well at Brighton, a huge club then come in for him earning him the crazy money the top players are on.

53 minutes ago, scrumpy88 said:

More money...

It's their living so players quite rightly want as much salary as possible. We are known for being average payers so when a team comes along with a better pay deal and the posilibilty of a signing on lump sum for the player they will jump ship. There's no longer loyalty in the game.

1 hour ago, scrumpy88 said:

The desire to play in the Prem for one and / or money. Remember this is how they earn a living.

I would have thought the answers were obvious, no ? 

I wouldn’t say they ‘ jump ‘ at the chance to leave but evidently we are not yet where we want to be and a footballer’s career is short so if a bigger , richer , more prestigious club comes in for him it is difficult for anyone , player , club or hangers on to turn down the approach.

We sign some top players on the back of the fact that they will have a chance to shine and potentially follow the likes of Bryan, Kodjia, Reid , Webster etc to higher glory , with or without us . 

Close that door and we will struggle to attract those quality players . 

It is frustrating for us fans but we have a super owner who reinvests the money back into the club so we cannot justifiably complain about our modus operandi .

It is what it is .

Brownhill Agent:  Hi Josh.  Burnley want you so you can definitely realise your dream of playing top flight football oh and they will pay you twice your current salary. Fancy it?

Brownhill:  no thanks

Not going to happen is it.  Pretty sure we would all make the move 

Archived