IGNORED

Is this a library?

Judda

Every week the away fans sing this. Even the likes of Shrewsbury!

Why is the atmosphere so bad at the gate since the redevelopment?

I can only put it down to the poor football we watch at home games. Rarely entertaining. 

Or is the singing section in the wrong place? I am told on here they're singing but I can't normally hear them from where I sit. 

The only other thing I could put it down to is new fans... going from 10k to 20k attendances over the last 20 years, maybe the new generation of fans can't be arsed?

2 minutes ago, Judda said:

I can only put it down to the poor football we watch at home games. Rarely entertaining. 

Or is the singing section in the wrong place? I am told on here they're singing but I can't normally hear them from where I sit. 

The only other thing I could put it down to is new fans... going from 10k to 20k attendances over the last 20 years, maybe the new generation of fans can't be arsed?

This has been discussed/debated before and imo it’s down to the signing section being stuck in the corner of the SS. Hardly any other area of the stadium can hear them. The away fans get the Atyeo where the acoustics are far better and even a few can make more noise than the singing section,

It would better if the singing section were behind the goal in the SS but that ain’t gonna happen.............:disapointed2se:

13 minutes ago, Judda said:

I can only put it down to the poor football we watch at home games. Rarely entertaining

You’ve answered it there.

2 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Every away team sing it at all games, even at Anfield, Old Trafford etc etc

This.

It’s become a standard insult that all rivals/away fans say about other clubs. 

That’s not to say it can’t be quiet at the Gate of course. Poor football doesn’t encourage noise and it drops further when you’re also losing!

23 minutes ago, Judda said:

? It wasn’t a library and for the main part atmosphere was fine, no worse than St Andrews I’ll wager.

Its a standard hym for away fans, who cares?

5 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Every away team sing it at all games, even at Anfield, Old Trafford etc etc

Spot on.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This has been discussed/debated before and imo it’s down to the signing section being stuck in the corner of the SS. Hardly any other area of the stadium can hear them. The away fans get the Atyeo where the acoustics are far better and even a few can make more noise than the singing section,

It would better if the singing section were behind the goal in the SS but that ain’t gonna happen.............:disapointed2se:

I don’t believe it rob I actually agree with you, I’m off for a lie down 

28 minutes ago, Judda said:

We are playing shite at home that’s why its crap atmosphere. The days of the East End between columns 3 and 4 are sadly over. It’s a great stadium and the singing will come back if  LJ leaves 

AG has been a library since the redevelopment and the police insisting that the away fans are located in the Atyeo.

I agree that dour stuff served up on the pitch doesn’t help but we saw the same dour stuff under his dad and atmosphere wasn’t a problem way back then.

A different manager wouldn’t make the slightest difference.

42 minutes ago, Judda said:

The atmosphere was actually ok last night, especially at the start of the game. Obviously fizzled out in second half.

The issue is the ‘singing section’ placement. At QPR last week I tried to hear whether I could hear the opposite corner (where S82 are) and couldn’t. Their ground is far more enclosed than ours too. There’s no way in hell the opposition can hear S82. 

The placement of the ‘singing section’ is wrong. They should’ve either been put in Dolman A/B or away fans in Lansdown corner or somewhere with home fans in the Atyeo. I have no idea why we allow the opposition the marginal advantage of being behind a goal. Poor planning when the redevelopment happened.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

AG has been a library since the redevelopment and the police insisting that the away fans are located in the Atyeo.

I agree that dour stuff served up on the pitch doesn’t help but we saw the same dour stuff under his dad and atmosphere wasn’t a problem way back then.

If we were in exciting matches at home every week it probably would help. I remember the home matches in 07/08 being pretty exciting and it lifted the atmosphere. Exciting football is a prerequisite for most of the more passive fans to take part in atmosphere.

I totally agree with the placement of the ‘singing section’ though. Poor planning.

I've only been going since 1997, but even in my time I remember the excitement in the stand when Scott Murray would get the ball out on the flank and everyone would be up on their feet in a flash.

The sound of the wooden seats being manually put up in the Dolman so people had room to stand.

I remember the mad rush to climb onto my seat so I could still see over the row in front.

Has changed a lot even in my time and yet it's the same bulk of people going to the games. I think in part, the old stand was so cramped in and uncomfortable with poor leg room, half the standing was just to get circulation back into the feet.

But modern stands are just comfortable and cold. People get content sat down in their seat and just want to sit and watch the game. Overheard a conversation a while back debating whether or not to go to the loo at half time or hold it so the seat doesn't get cold ?

I don't know if the acoustics in the Atyeo are that good tbh @Robbored. East End had great acoustics however!

Something interesting that @City18 fans can seem more passive. Maybe it's the football but maybe in addition other factors. Murray, good example.

Another one might be whenever we got a corner down the Dolman end say, people would stand, I'm sure- talking pre redevelopment as you are. To be expected at moments of excitement, opportunities on goal etc. 

@Phileas Fogg Club or SAG? Suppose this arrangement would help to save on policing costs?

Sticking our noisier fans at the other end of the ground, in the corner at that, isn't good though!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Just how many bloody times does this need explaining until it gets through?

You CANNOT have the singing section behind the goal all stood up when adjacent blocks are sat down!

This has been confirmed by @Blagdon red as well you know!

Jeez

1 hour ago, Judda said:

Mixture of all of them imo. Performances haven’t been great for a while. Saying that the atmosphere was certainly a lot better when the singing section was next to the away fans in the Atyeo and we certainly played a lot better, not a coincidence. Also I saw the ground get a lot emptier in the second half and it was definitely emptier at the start of the second half than it was in the first half, which I can’t understand when we’re still in the game with 45 minutes of football left to play

1 hour ago, Judda said:

The singing section should be in the Atyeo with the away fans, as at WBA&READING, better atmosphere, 

1 hour ago, man in the middle said:

All comes from the pitch 

the 1st 23 mins the gate was rocking then Birmingham got in front and were much the better team and we wasn’t creating anything.

this isn’t just a BristolCity thing it happens at all grounds.

I could just about make out Birmingham fans singing “is this a library?” before their equaliser despite the fact that all I could hear mostly was our fans in S82 and the adjacent blocks and that was from the middle of the Dolman.

I think it’s just a generic song that gets sung at every ground across the country, whether you can hear it from your particular seat or not.

If we started winning at home then that would make a difference. At least GJ didn’t blame players for poor performance unlike  his son

44 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Just how many bloody times does this need explaining until it gets through?

You CANNOT have the singing section behind the goal all stood up when adjacent blocks are sat down!

This has been confirmed by @Blagdon red as well you know!

Jeez

Ummm..........why do you suppose I posted ‘that ain’t gonna happen tho’?  :dunno:

Another reason is that the seats behind the SS goal are mostly SC holders.

We do a bad enough job controlling limited numbers in there (we can't cope with too many) so I don't think we could house them anywhere else. I don't think the police are insisting on anything are they. Could put them in your block of the dolman and you can spend the game explaining to them how you can't hear the PA announcements?

Archived