Changes for mid week game

So LJ won't drop Weimann. We know this, so we might as well pick a team that at least gets him playing better.

Bentley

Benkovic. Williams. Baker 

Hunt.        Smith     Henriksen     Dasilva

Paterson 

Weimann  Wells

This is not my team. It's a prediction of what LJ may go to.

It means no Eliasson. Who I actually thought looked fine at wing back. But obviously Dasilva would be the more sensible option there.

LJ prefers Hunt to Pereira. Though I prefer Pereira personally. Would like to see him given a go.

It would at least suit Weimann and Wells alongside him imo. And Palmer would fit in there perfectly with 20 to go. Or even starting him if he can play to his best in that system with movement ahead of him.

Not what I'd do! But I've thought LJ has been aiming to go back to this formation, especially when he signed Wells when we have Palmer, and LJ likes to play 2 strikers. Afobe hopefully returning soon too, and we saw how that system worked at the start of the season.

I get it why he may do this. I just think Eliasson should play but he won't unless he plays him wing back which would  surprise me.

Edited by JonDolman

Having lost last night LJ certainly has justification to liven up the starting 11 for Derby next week. 

The only change I’d like to see is Wells getting a start - question is who does he leave out?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Having lost last night LJ certainly has justification to liven up the starting 11 for Derby next week. 

The only change I’d like to see is Wells getting a start - question is who does he leave out?

Wells in for AW I think - AW was really poor last night.

Expect to see Henriksen in for HNM too

• Like 1

I don’t want to see us play 5 at the back at home. It doesn’t suit our personnel and encourages negative football.

I would like something like this

Bentley

Hunt, Benkovic*, Baker, Dasilva

Paterson, Smith, Nagy, Eliasson

Diedhiou, Wells

I don't think Henriksen is fit yet and I assume we will start Benkovic ASAP. I think LJ’s post match alluded to going back to basics and playing to our strengths - this team gives plenty of width and a solid midfield that hopefully maximises the strengths or Eliasson, Famara and Wells.

I’m not his biggest fan but wouldn’t be surprised to see O’Dowda come back into the team soon. Ideally I’d like to see Palmer too.

7 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Wells in for AW I think - AW was really poor last night.

Expect to see Henriksen in for HNM too

Can’t Weimann getting dropped - LJ sees him as an integral part of the line up.

As for Massengo.....he should have played further up rather than as a defensive midfielder last night. Smith should have been in that role.

No doubting Massengo’s footballing talent but he’s very lightweight and so is Nagy.

Bentley

Benkovic    Williams     Baker                          

Hunt       Henriksen       Smith         Dasilva

Patterson

Wells      Diedhou

• Like 2

I think when we went to 352 we got the ball consistently in great areas between the lines and we needed more movement in the front 2 to thread it through to.

So I get why Fam might be dropped for this reason. Even if Fam has been our best player in recent weeks. 

I've always thought Fam is better on his own. And although it's very early to say this, I'm not sure Wells and Fam will work as a partnership.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As for Massengo.....he should have played further up rather than as a defensive midfielder last night. Smith should have been in that role.

No doubting Massengo’s footballing talent but he’s very lightweight and so is Nagy.

Henriksen in for Massengo surely.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Bentley

Patterson

Wells      Diedhou

What I would like to see however....

Bentley

Hunt     Benkovic   Baker  Dasilva

Henriksen

Palmer       Smith

Eliasson                                    Patterson

Wells

Johnson stuck with a winning team which is the honourable thing to do, but with three new players, he's now fully justified to change the lineup. 

It goes without saying that Wells starts, and the two loanees have a strong chance too. It'll be a case of throwing them in the deep end to see if they can force their way in as regulars. 

Paterson can't be dropped, plus he'll have an ace to grind v Derby.

Elliasson and Weimann look safe, so maybe Diedhiou drops out. Massengo hasn't shown enough initiative to hold his place. And defence is the puzzle that Johnson needs to solve.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think when we went to 352 we got the ball consistently in great areas between the lines and we needed more movement in the front 2 to thread it through to.

So I get why Fam might be dropped for this reason. Even if Fam has been our best player in recent weeks. 

I've always thought Fam is better on his own. And although it's very early to say this, I'm not sure Wells and Fam will work as a partnership.

Why do you think that? Fam only doesn't work with strikers who's movement is as bad as his, look at Hogan's last night with an equally non mobile striker in Jutekevic (sp?) and the contrast was night and day, every time Brum had the ball he was making diagonal runs in behind trying to pull the centre backs about and make space for his strike partner.

Compare that to the pointless runs into the chanel that Weimann makes and that's why Fam is better on his own and Afobe only worked as he actually did the movement bit so it didn't matter. 

Andi Weimann has in his entire career been able to play with Benteke in one season and that was when Benteke was nocking on the door of being world class at Villa, so sod all to do with AW. His reading of the game is dismal, he still can't read Fams flick ons, it took Marley ******* Watkins 45 minutes to start picking them up

Fam and Wells should be the front 2 till the end of the season. 

If he drops Fam and leaves AW in I am done until Johnson is gone. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Why do you think that? Fam only doesn't work with strikers who's movement is as bad as his, look at Hogan's last night with an equally non mobile striker in Jutekevic (sp?) and the contrast was night and day, every time Brum had the ball he was making diagonal runs in behind trying to pull the centre backs about and make space for his strike partner.

Compare that to the pointless runs into the chanel that Weimann makes and that's why Fam is better on his own and Afobe only worked as he actually did the movement bit so it didn't matter. 

Andi Weimann has in his entire career been able to play with Benteke in one season and that was when Benteke was nocking on the door of being world class at Villa, so sod all to do with AW. His reading of the game is dismal, he still can't read Fams flick ons, it took Marley ******* Watkins 45 minutes to start picking them up

Weimann pretty much played the whole time wide right for Villa. People seem to think he played through the middle but he rarely did.

I have yet to see Fam link up well with anyone in a 2. Bobby was as good as it got. But even then I thought it didn't look great.

4 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Spot on

40 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t want to see us play 5 at the back at home. It doesn’t suit our personnel and encourages negative football.

I would like something like this

Bentley

Hunt, Benkovic*, Baker, Dasilva

Paterson, Smith, Nagy, Eliasson

Diedhiou, Wells

I don't think Henriksen is fit yet and I assume we will start Benkovic ASAP. I think LJ’s post match alluded to going back to basics and playing to our strengths - this team gives plenty of width and a solid midfield that hopefully maximises the strengths or Eliasson, Famara and Wells.

I’m not his biggest fan but wouldn’t be surprised to see O’Dowda come back into the team soon. Ideally I’d like to see Palmer too.

Can’t see Benkovic coming straight in, thought if it wasn’t for Williams we’d be even more behind

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Weimann pretty much played the whole time wide right for Villa. People seem to think he played through the middle but he rarely did.

I have yet to see Fam link up well with anyone in a 2. Bobby was as good as it got. But even then I thought it didn't look great.

He played up with Benteke, pretty much the only season he managed a decent return of goals in his career, but most of the rest of the time he did play wide right, same as he always has as he's not a bloody striker. 

Fam and Bobby were excellent, they both scored together at a rate which would have seen both comfortably in the 20's for goals, in fact Fams scoring rate was actually better than Bobby's I believe, so had he played the full season he would have likely ended on 25 ish goals. 

Fam can't play with Weimann I agree, but that is very little to do with Famara. 

Threads like this are loved by some posters I know...but the mere fact that we have next no idea what team Johnson will put out at this stage of season when we are supposed to be aiming for promotion tells you a lot about his management of the club. 

Floundering around, no consistent shape or pattern. Buying more clubs for the bag with scarcely enough room in the bag to carry them around the course let alone use them.

I expect a negative section intended to nullify Derby...followed after 60 minutes by throwing caution to the wind. On the days that works we all leave wondering why we didn't start with the positive side. On the days it doesn't we're all bored rigid.

• Like 4

I'd like to finally see us go 4-3-3. It's clear that LJ's midfield setup or general setup but notably midfield doesn't give us a crack at really controlling the game.

Bentley

Hunt Benkovic Baker DaSilva

Henriksen Nagy Smith 

Paterson Wells Eliasson 

It's a loose 4-3-3 and still unsure on a few. Dropping Weimann, I dunno- him as a wide right could offer more balance than say Paterson in that position.  Eliasson and DaSilva could certainly combine on the left quite nicely. 

Henriksen fitness permitting should start, Nagy in a 3 will have that little bit more time, Smith is steadily regaining fitness.

This is very harsh on Diedhiou tbh but looking at it from a tactical and technical standpoint if we're looking to increase control, possession we need a genuine midfield 3 IMO. By which I don't mean Paterson, Palmer or even probably O'Dowda as one of them. Diedhiou has a fair few positive attributes but won't help us in this respect I don't think.

Weimann on the right would make some tactical and balance sense, but then what do you do with Paterson- Eliasson 11 assists, 3 goals and often a real threat, he can't be dropped surely?? 

I felt the substitutions were all wrong last night. That double substitution threw balance out of the window and smacked of 'Just throw on a lot of attackers and see if something comes off'.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

So LJ won't drop Weimann. We know this, so we might as well pick a team that at least gets him playing better.

Bentley

Paterson 

Weimann  Wells

It means no Eliasson. Who I actually thought looked fine at wing back. But obviously Dasilva would be the more sensible option there.

LJ prefers Hunt to Pereira. Though I prefer Pereira personally. Would like to see him given a go.

It would at least suit Weimann and Wells alongside him imo. And Palmer would fit in there perfectly with 20 to go. Or even starting him if he can play to his best in that system with movement ahead of him.

Not what I'd do! But I've thought LJ has been aiming to go back to this formation, especially when he signed Wells when we have Palmer, and LJ likes to play 2 strikers. Afobe hopefully returning soon too, and we saw how that system worked at the start of the season.

I get it why he may do this. I just think Eliasson should play but he won't unless he plays him wing back which would  surprise me.

Depressing. Leaving out the best 2 attacking options. Shoehorning in a defender who was woefully weak last night. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Funny.. other posters said the exact opposite about Massengo's position... I am confused now!!

Few points about Derby from what I've seen of them

Their full backs love to get high, leads to wingers often playing inside channel (or FB will move to inside channel higher up if winger is wide)

Rooney/Huddlestone drop into defensive line create an overload for passing around strikers when switching play/allows Rooney to pick up the ball deep when playing long balls (which he still does extremely well) 

They go for more a 3/4 press enough to put players under pressure to get them to pass but don't commit to it until they can jump on a player to definitely make the tackle

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Bentley

Patterson

Wells      Diedhou

That would have been my ideal starting line up last night. We need the extra bodies in midfield at home as we seem to be always over run in that area. If Henriksen isn't quite up to speed I would have started with HNM but quickly changed it at half time.

I reckon Johnson will make at least three changes. We'll lose. Then all those who blasted him for sticking with a winning side last night will moan about the tombola. 

Whatever he does we seem to play very poor football at AG. It's less about the starters or the formation and more a lack of a style of play. Every home game I expect us to play slow, predictable sideways football with no penetration. Whatever the line up or formation this is what we seem to get. Huddersfield being the only exception I can recall. 

I just don't think the coaching team are up to it. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bentley

Paterson 

Weimann  Wells

Not a bad shout, Jon, and at least it'll encourage us to play the ball on the floor. Henriksen will probably only last an hour as he hasn't played for 81 days. Eliasson may have to drop out to make our midfield solid, but if Palmer has a respiratory infection, then Wednesday may be too soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Massengo, he’s the guy with the big mop of hair, pretty hard to not pick out. 😂😂😂

He didn’t play DM last night, Smith did.  Massengo was the player first half hour trying to get past their back line onto Fam’s flicks.  Second half, he was the only one in our midfield 4 (in front of Smith) who played in the right position.  Weimann, Eliasson and Paterson played miles ahead of him, but Smith was still the DM.

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Can’t see Benkovic coming straight in, thought if it wasn’t for Williams we’d be even more behind

Agree, Williams and Massengo were the only two to come out of last night with any credit imho.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Threads like this are loved by some posters I know...but the mere fact that we have next no idea what team Johnson will put out at this stage of season when we are supposed to be aiming for promotion tells you a lot about his management of the club. 

Floundering around, no consistent shape or pattern. Buying more clubs for the bag with scarcely enough room in the bag to carry them around the course let alone use them.

I expect a negative section intended to nullify Derby...followed after 60 minutes by throwing caution to the wind. On the days that works we all leave wondering why we didn't start with the positive side. On the days it doesn't we're all bored rigid.

Boom 💥💥💥

And perversely the recent 4141 (our latest fad formation) doesn’t really fit with the signing of Wells, if you want to play Diedhiou.  Expect a new “system” on Wednesday. 😎😎😎

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I reckon Johnson will make at least three changes. We'll lose. Then all those who blasted him for sticking with a winning side last night will moan about the tombola. 

Whatever he does we seem to play very poor football at AG. It's less about the starters or the formation and more a lack of a style of play. Every home game I expect us to play slow, predictable sideways football with no penetration. Whatever the line up or formation this is what we seem to get. Huddersfield being the only exception I can recall. 

I just don't think the coaching team are up to it. 

Sadly I have to agree with this, the issue of our relatively poor home form hasn’t gone away despite large amounts of money and high player turn over during LJ’s  tenure.

Perhaps its time for a change in the coaching set up, I believe both assistant coaches were defenders during their playing careers, and while a sound defensive set up is no doubt the key to success, the lack of chance creating attacking play could be down to a gap in the coaches knowledge and experience.

With the marvel of hindsight Wells should have started last night no question,  other successful teams consistently change winning teams, and Wells omission was a mistake, 13 goals and player of the month left on the bench.....