IGNORED

Is he stupid?

southvillekiddy

7 hours ago, NickJ said:

He hasn’t made a profit of £30m, he has sold the players he inherited, and has been allowed to Re-invest that and more on his own players.

That has already been discussed earlier in this thread. 

The main bulk of the £30m was the likes of Kelly, Webster and more recently Brownhill none of which were inherited by LJ.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The main bulk of the £30m was the likes of Kelly, Webster and more recently Brownhill none of which were inherited by LJ.

An interesting combination of Academy, One Season Acquisition and Long-Term Nurtured Player.

Whats beginning to slightly worry me is that none of our exports seem to be making much of an impact at Premier League level.

Credit to MA for getting top dollar for our players, but Premier League Clubs may soon start to question whether Bristol City players are more hype than substance and offer value for money. 

Let’s hope Brownhill can buck the trend (have my doubts). 

There’s always Cardiff mind that we can count on to get their wad out! 

On 08/02/2020 at 17:36, Robbored said:

You don’t rate the manager who has improved City's league position season on season and taken us into the top six this campaign?

Add to that him losing several top players and making a profit of almost £30m........

I find it hard to read you constantly calling out people who don’t rate the manager after your vendetta against GJ

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I find it hard to read you constantly calling out people who don’t rate the manager after your vendetta against GJ

I didn’t rate GJ back then and I think he’s now currently at his right level..........:dunno:

Difference is that LJ has consistently improved City’s league position season on season and some posters can’t seem to appreciate that fact and so I call them out.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I didn’t rate GJ back then and I think he’s now currently at his right level..........:dunno:

Difference is that LJ has consistently improved City’s league position season on season and some posters can’t seem to appreciate that fact and so I call them out.

GJ did pretty well for a National League level manager then, to get us within 90 minutes of the Premier League!

On 08/02/2020 at 19:10, dave36 said:

Is he stupid? 
problem is, the only ones that 100% know the answer to that are the players and most of the experienced ones do!

They know who is out of form or needs a rest, they know when they are told to play in a way that stifles their potential or when played totally out of position, more importantly they know which players will let them down or make them look bad.

We see it every home game buts that’s Lee for you - Hunt and Weimann have played most every game this season but achieved not a lot - even Korey looked lost last night, where was the player to receive the killer pass? Korey tried and tried but no luck, judging by his obvious searching he had trouble finding someone who actually wanted the ball! 

We have recruited a proven goal scorer, did he start? Nah, don’t be daft! Where is the logic in that?  He came on and became a midfielder??? Elliason and Weimann both switched away from the attack - football ain’t rocket science! Selection has to be earned and tactics decided with playing to the squads strengths - not effing formulae!

Seeing this home form for repeated seasons is Stupid, if He wasn’t Stupid things would have changed - ask Cotts!

The inevitable response to this will be that you don't see the players in training or know any of the players.

I happen to agree with you incidentally, except I wouldn't call him stupid, more delusional and therefore stubborn with regard to his own ability.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

Most fans go home happy if the team wins no matter how it's done, although I wasn't implying we'd have to play at home the way we do away just if we'd got that set of results

I think you're right, although if the odd Luton and West Brom results were thrown in you might hear the odd boo !

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

As is so often the case, you are factually incorrect.

Kelly was here before Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ffs.........Nick...........:disapointed2se:

Haven't got a clue what point you are trying to make in response to my factual correction to your incorrect comment but I dearly wish a manual manipulator emoji could be added to the others.

LJ developed Kelly into a PL quality LB and whether or not he was at City before LJ is largely irrelevant. It could be argued that Reid and Bryan fulfil that creteria.

Get off your high horse ffs...and admit that LJ has done a decent job both on and off the pitch...........:cool2:

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ developed Kelly into a PL quality LB and whether or not he was at City before LJ is largely irrelevant. It could be argued that Reid and Bryan fulfil that creteria.

Get off your high horse ffs...and admit that LJ has done a decent job both on and off the pitch...........:cool2:

Can you two get a room?

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What utter tosh Kelly was sold for £13m off the back of his ability and 8 years of coaching from the dedicated and unrewarded youth coaches. I recall Kelly being outstanding at 16 years old in a friendly at Brislington years before Johnson arrived. And oddly enough the same principle would apply to Bryan and Reid - no first team manager should take credit for selling the product of the youth system. 

I could take you more seriously if you backed up your views with facts that had a semblance of truth and logic. 

Is he stupid? No he's not.

Well, he is only the Head Coach so having your best players sold every season yet still consistently finishing higher year on year and at the same time reinvesting in better players, broadly speaking I think he's done a terrific job.

We may not have hit the playing style heights of the League Cup Semi Final season this season and this season's home form has been less than satisfying but we are moving in the right direction.

This season we've been found out once too often at home but this largely sums up the Championship where you take the top four and bottom four and everyone else in between beats each other.

He gets judged, rather unfairly in my view, based on questionable historical favouritism with his father.

He is an ambitious bright young coach and rather uniquely, like the major shareholder, is a big fan of this club. Sometimes I think that gets in the way and clouds some of the thought processes.

On 08/02/2020 at 18:51, Red DNA said:

I don’t think you could call him stupid. 

You wouldn’t like to be called stupid in whatever profession you earn a crust and yet LJ - love him or hate him, probably  earns more in one year than you will in ten. 

We all want him and the entire club to be be successful and calling a person with his integrity stupid is just disrespectful. 

That's the problem mate.  If he gets paid (at least) 10 times what you do, you would expect him to perform.

That's the problem I had in my last job, my boss earned twice as much as me on the back of taking the credit for the work I was doing, so I resigned and left the little shit to work it out for himself ?

On 11/02/2020 at 23:32, NickJ said:

What utter tosh Kelly was sold for £13m off the back of his ability and 8 years of coaching from the dedicated and unrewarded youth coaches. I recall Kelly being outstanding at 16 years old in a friendly at Brislington years before Johnson arrived. And oddly enough the same principle would apply to Bryan and Reid - no first team manager should take credit for selling the product of the youth system. 

I could take you more seriously if you backed up your views with facts that had a semblance of truth and logic. 

Completely agree on Kelly and, to a lesser extent Bryan, but Reid’s career was going nowhere until he was moved up front.

You can obviously argue over the methodology behind it and that it was all pure luck - as some do, depending on what a person’s agenda is - but it is what it is.

As I said in another thread, I do think the extent to which a manager improves a player is incredibly difficult to measure. Is Johnson a big reason behind Brownhill’s rise - or has he just followed his natural curve of progression relative to his potential?

It’s debatable and I think unless you know what happens behind the scenes you’re guessing. But I still maintain credit must go to Johnson/the coaching staff for seeing something in Reid that nobody before him/them saw. I don’t remember anyone on here being particularly impressed with the move in pre-season either, to be fair.

Archived