IGNORED

Ashley Williams - time to step down??

brad blit

Firstly I think Williams has been a good player for us whilst Kalas & Baker have been injured, he’s been a model pro and save our skins on numerous occasions. However with Kalas nearing return and Benkovic joining, is it time he’s replaced? Baker has proved himself in recent games to be back to his best (as an old fashioned defender), and surely now is the time to get our centre back pairing sorted for the long term. It feels like he is now halting The progress of our defensive line as majority of time he looks to slow play down from the back. Thanks Ash, but time for us to move forward 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think that is a fair enough proposal.....last night he was our best defender though!!!

I haven’t seen enough of Benkovic, so at this point in time, a fit Kalas should be our no1 CB.  Partnered by Baker.

Thought he had a tough night Dave , 

Think he’s been a great signing for us but I thought he struggled to cope physically with Jukewiitcz and Hogans work, and particularly movement gave AW & NB a tough night.

Thought Birmingham won their individual battles all over the pitch , looked hungrier , despite playing 120 mins Tuesday , and tactically bossed it , and we were completely devoid of any form of plan , and were as a collective depressingly and completely inept 

Perhaps Baker is back to his best because he is playing along side Williams. Lets think about that before you say its time to ditch him. For me he has been our best player over the last month i have lost count of the last ditch tackles and goal line clearances he has done to save our skins.

27 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought he had a tough night Dave , 

Think he’s been a great signing for us but I thought he struggled to cope physically with Jukewiitcz and Hogans work, and particularly movement gave AW & NB a tough night.

Thought Birmingham won their individual battles all over the pitch , looked hungrier , despite playing 120 mins Tuesday , and tactically bossed it , and we were completely devoid of any form of plan , and were as a collective depressingly and completely inept 

Indeed he did, but I thought he was one of a small number of players who came out of it with any credit.

Again, too much is asked of the defence by our inept midfield.

We don’t need different defenders or attackers, it’s our complete lack of a midfield. We have no clear attacking pattern when in possession, are full of mistakes and misplaced passes and are not well organised or strong enough when defending.

I'm liking his partnership with Baker over the last few games and he's dug us out of trouble god knows how many times. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in positioning.  I'm sure Kalas will claim his place back when fully fit but LJ has suggested in his interviews he may have made a mistake in rushing him back last time and i'm sure he'd rather not do that again

Great block from Bellingham and good passing around the edge of their box when Brum had moved right back (one of few to actually try piercing passes). However very poor decision to drop for their equaliser and not even attempting a header for the third are both poor, guess its a case are the 2 mistakes ones you think you'd see regularly from him or just a bad day.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Again, too much is asked of the defence by our inept midfield.

We don’t need different defenders or attackers, it’s our complete lack of a midfield. We have no clear attacking pattern when in possession, are full of mistakes and misplaced passes and are not well organised or strong enough when defending.

Totally well said. The mid field has got to step up a long way from the brum performance. 

4 hours ago, westonred said:

Perhaps Baker is back to his best because he is playing along side Williams. Lets think about that before you say its time to ditch him. For me he has been our best player over the last month i have lost count of the last ditch tackles and goal line clearances he has done to save our skins.

I’m not saying this is necessarily the case, but generally last ditch tackles are a sign of poor positioning in the first place - or to put it another way, if a defender reads the game well then he often makes less last ditch tackles because he doesn’t need to

4 hours ago, brad blit said:

Firstly I think Williams has been a good player for us whilst Kalas & Baker have been injured, he’s been a model pro and save our skins on numerous occasions. However with Kalas nearing return and Benkovic joining, is it time he’s replaced? Baker has proved himself in recent games to be back to his best (as an old fashioned defender), and surely now is the time to get our centre back pairing sorted for the long term. It feels like he is now halting The progress of our defensive line as majority of time he looks to slow play down from the back. Thanks Ash, but time for us to move forward 

If Birmingham’s 3rd goal last night is anything to go by I would keep Williams in ahead of Benkovic!

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’m not saying this is necessarily the case, but generally last ditch tackles are a sign of poor positioning in the first place - or to put it another way, if a defender reads the game well then he often makes less last ditch tackles because he doesn’t need to

I think I read somewhere that Maldini made less than one tackle per game on average,there's also a saying that the best defenders have clean shorts!

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He’s clearly not match fit, let’s not give him the Matt Smith treatment and write him off on day 1.

He will need games to adjust to this league.

Now we’ve signed him we must back him.

I meant Williams, could easily have gone for a 50/50 header with Jutkiewicz before Benkovic was involved but didn't and left it

Archived