IGNORED

Ashley Williams - time to step down??

brad blit

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The one player tonight who was able to read Rooney’s forward passes. That’s experience for you.....

I also think some plaudits should go to Korey Smith, who was often first to Rooney on the odd occasion he moved out from behind their left back.

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I also think some plaudits should go to Korey Smith, who was often first to Rooney on the odd occasion he moved out from behind their left back.

Really! Thought smith was the weak link again in all honesty. Living off past glories

I am shocked at the description of Smith on this thread. I don’t know what he did that was that different to what Rooney did for them. 
He controlled the tempo, we started steady and then picked up the pace towards half time, and he started that. He picked up his injury just after the 3rd goal, and looked what happened then.

I’m not sure if my original point of this post has been lost, I never said Williams had been playing badly (I thought he was excellent on Saturday and last night) - it was more that with Kalas nearing full fitness and Benkovic being brought in to play (apparently paying a 3m loan fee) I felt due to his age and ‘sometimes’ slowing up the play from back that he would be the player to make way. He’s been a great signing for us but he’s played his part and I hope he makes way for Benkovic/Baker/Kalas partnerships. 

30 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am shocked at the description of Smith on this thread. I don’t know what he did that was that different to what Rooney did for them. 
He controlled the tempo, we started steady and then picked up the pace towards half time, and he started that. He picked up his injury just after the 3rd goal, and looked what happened then.

Smith has been one of our best players and possibly most important player since Christmas imo.

Williams is class. He is a warrior and a real  defender. 

Is there a player at City more motivated than Ash ?   I don’t think so .

He would tackle  a tank if it menaced  his penalty area . 

He may have lost a bit of pace but that was never really his strong point and he makes up for this with his reading of the game.

He must go down as the signing of the season. I thought he’d play a handful of games as cover but he has become a nailed on first team performer . 

Well done Ashley Williams.

:clap:

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Smith has been one of our best players and possibly most important player since Christmas imo.

I think Smith , whilst still a good Champ player , adds guts and desire to the team driving the others on .

This is immense. He is not the best player at the club now but these qualities you cannot buy . He is near the end of his story at Ashton Gate and shares , with us , the many highs and lows . 

It means so much to him that City are successful due to his history with the club. We have many skillful players now but how many feel it as intensely as this bloke ? 

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

I’m not sure if my original point of this post has been lost, I never said Williams had been playing badly (I thought he was excellent on Saturday and last night) - it was more that with Kalas nearing full fitness and Benkovic being brought in to play (apparently paying a 3m loan fee) I felt due to his age and ‘sometimes’ slowing up the play from back that he would be the player to make way. He’s been a great signing for us but he’s played his part and I hope he makes way for Benkovic/Baker/Kalas partnerships. 

I dont think Williams had a kick Saturday to be honest.

9 hours ago, frenchred said:

Really! Thought smith was the weak link again in all honesty. Living off past glories

When Derby passed it around early on, Smith struggled, but I’m sure some of that was not pressing too hard and losing shape alongside the new boy Henriksen.  As the first half wore on they timed their opportunities to press Rooney and Bird and this was key to us getting more and more into the game.  It meant Hamer kicking long which meant we started winning possession and bits and pieces.

Over the 78 minutes he was decent enough.  Did the job we needed.

Posters wanting Korey to do more on the ball will be the first ones to moan when he loses it. Like the cross field ball to Hunt on Friday. Ok, it wasn’t that adventurous a pass, but it’s not really part of Korey’s game. 

I'm torn on Williams.

Quality- absolutely. However age, and even before his age kicked in, he wasn't the quickest- but Brentford showed how he can be exposed- yes an error on his part but halfway inside his own half, I remember saying it on the day on here, his recovery speed or similar, showed just how to expose- fine if we're playing deeper but a medium to high line, not really ideal at his age especially.

Archived