IGNORED

Frustrations with our football

Jerseybean

This post is selfishly about trying to express and get off my chest some of my frustrations about our football this season, I would welcome others reflections. It s not about knocking LJ or the squad although as our manager / team they have to be held to account.

Firstly our league position (7th as I type) - the league table doesn’t lie so we remain realistically in touch with the playoffs.

Our style of play this season - it’s been hard to watch, even painful to watch at times, especially at home. We don’t play with any real creativity or tempo.

Home form - our approach/performances at home have been particularly frustrating/disappointing  at times woeful.

Results - with a few exceptions results have been close, generally being decided by the odd goal and a number of our victories would genuinely have appeared fortunate to the opposing fans/ neutrals. We haven’t dominated and controlled a game as yet.

Compared with the other top half teams - we tend to huff and puff as a team, work hard without being able to overwhelm any opponents, we often hear about ‘fine margins’ whereas some of those above us have comfortably won games (including those against us) this season.

League position 8 out of 10

Style and entertainment/good football 3 out of 10

Home form 3 out of 10

Results 6 out of 10

Comparisons with the top half teams 4 out of 10

Overall 24 out of 50

What do others think?

The "identity" and style of play we have suits away games where we have less of the ball and have to make the most of what time we have on the ball and usually in away games the home teams are more pushed on and in advanced areas which leads to more chances and better results.

If you actually look at most games this season we've probably only dominated a handful of games (I'm thinking Huddersfield, Luton and QPR at home) the rest of our points have come in real tight close games where the other team has created more chances than us and we have held firm. 

Even games at home to Reading, Charlton and Barnsley that we have won I've left the ground thinking we have been very lucky to get three points on those occasions, and most away games I come out thinking we've done another smash and grab.

Dont get me wrong, smash and grab draws or wins feel great but at the end of the day we need to have another gear to step up and really take the game to teams and I've only seen that three times this year (Hudds, Luton and QPR).

There isnt enough quality movement off the ball, there isnt enough quality on the ball and in home games when we are given more of the ball, it really does show we lack ideas and an attacking "identity". 

Does LJ set out to play that way at home? I can count almost maybe 10 games at home where I've been bored out of my skull watching it but the away games are a real pleasure to go and watch. If we sorted out this home form then we would be pissing this poor league. 

Relegation form at home........Promotion form away.    What a contrast.  The crazy thing is, the early goal yesterday, gave us the opportunity to play our away tactics at home?  Away, we tend to play deep and hit teams on the break, so after being given a gift after a  minute we then had a lead to defend.         Unfortunately we were then tactically naive,  and instead of protecting our lead, our midfield kept pushing on and left too much space,  as well as not competing sufficiently.   If we had only kept what we had for 20-,25 minutes, we might have got a result. And a real missed chance to improve our home stats was the outcome.  As much as i like LJ, I thought his team selection, tactics and substitutions were very poor, and although certain players let him down, he also got it badly wrong, and must take most of the blame IMHO.

Having followed them for 40+ years Ive seen it all I think. However, driving down the M5 Friday night we got held up in an accident for nearly an hour. During that time we discussed the fact that we might miss the game. None of the 4 of us in the car were that bothered and we are all season ticket holders. As it happens we got there with a few minutes to spare. Unfortunately.  Love my club and always will, just underwhelmed at present  by home form in particular.....

14 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

This post is selfishly about trying to express and get off my chest some of my frustrations about our football this season, I would welcome others reflections. It s not about knocking LJ or the squad although as our manager / team they have to be held to account.

Firstly our league position (7th as I type) - the league table doesn’t lie so we remain realistically in touch with the playoffs.

Our style of play this season - it’s been hard to watch, even painful to watch at times, especially at home. We don’t play with any real creativity or tempo.

Home form - our approach/performances at home have been particularly frustrating/disappointing  at times woeful.

Results - with a few exceptions results have been close, generally being decided by the odd goal and a number of our victories would genuinely have appeared fortunate to the opposing fans/ neutrals. We haven’t dominated and controlled a game as yet.

Compared with the other top half teams - we tend to huff and puff as a team, work hard without being able to overwhelm any opponents, we often hear about ‘fine margins’ whereas some of those above us have comfortably won games (including those against us) this season.

Home form 3 out of 10

Results 6 out of 10

Overall 24 out of 50

What do others think?

Too generous. 23 out of 50.

I posted this on another thread, I agree for me at the moment our club in general is so frustrating even seeing where we were 5 years ago until now. 

I'm sure many would say its not comparable but the premise is still there... Let's Imagine the club was a resteraunt people rated say 7/10. The owner then wants a refurb and spends a fair chunck of cash improving the building the design and a new menu with better quality ingredients etc. This resteraunt now looks the proper business and ready to compete with the other big resteraunts in town. After the resteraunt re opens the owners asks customers to rate again. They still say 7/10 and claim that even with the better ingredients the food tastes the same and if he is going to spend so much money on the resteraunt he at least needs to make sure the head chef knows how to take the resteraunt to the next level and if not get one in who has done it before... 

I get that there was a much easier way to describe this but my wife didn't get why I am Johnson out so used this analogy and she seemed to understand haha

The owner of the resteraunt also says that although the head chef isn't perfect he used to be the dish washer when he was younger so he owes him some loyalty. 

The customers then state they don't give a toss about loyalty and they paid for a good meal in a nice resteraunt and they have not received it. 

The frustration is that LJ is capable of setting up attractive and entertaining football teams.

The current boring football on display is very short term in it's thinking, the rationale seems to be should we reach the play offs everyone is happy and the season has been a success.

Surely better to take a step back develop a team identity  with the view of competing in the PL(Wolves, Sheff Utd)

13 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

The "identity" and style of play we have suits away games where we have less of the ball and have to make the most of what time we have on the ball and usually in away games the home teams are more pushed on and in advanced areas which leads to more chances and better results.

If you actually look at most games this season we've probably only dominated a handful of games (I'm thinking Huddersfield, Luton and QPR at home) the rest of our points have come in real tight close games where the other team has created more chances than us and we have held firm. 

Even games at home to Reading, Charlton and Barnsley that we have won I've left the ground thinking we have been very lucky to get three points on those occasions, and most away games I come out thinking we've done another smash and grab.

Dont get me wrong, smash and grab draws or wins feel great but at the end of the day we need to have another gear to step up and really take the game to teams and I've only seen that three times this year (Hudds, Luton and QPR).

There isnt enough quality movement off the ball, there isnt enough quality on the ball and in home games when we are given more of the ball, it really does show we lack ideas and an attacking "identity". 

Does LJ set out to play that way at home? I can count almost maybe 10 games at home where I've been bored out of my skull watching it but the away games are a real pleasure to go and watch. If we sorted out this home form then we would be pissing this poor league. 

Spot on Profit 

14 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

We didn’t dominate qpr at home.

4 hours ago, KevP said:

Having followed them for 40+ years Ive seen it all I think. However, driving down the M5 Friday night we got held up in an accident for nearly an hour. During that time we discussed the fact that we might miss the game. None of the 4 of us in the car were that bothered and we are all season ticket holders. As it happens we got there with a few minutes to spare. Unfortunately.  Love my club and always will, just underwhelmed at present  by home form in particular.....

Look on the bright side....if you'd arrived a minute late..!!

On 08/02/2020 at 17:54, Jerseybean said:

Home form 3 out of 10

Results 6 out of 10

Overall 24 out of 50

What do others think?

I think, all things considered - home form, results, style, box entries, league position etc:

7out of 24.

Archived