IGNORED

Police.

Bristol Rob

Time to have a debate. Do you think police at football do a good job in difficult circumstances, make things worse by causing issues that didn't previously exist, or are in general, the biggest 'firm' in the country.

It was stumbling across this that made me wonder if this is typical of the police these days. I know that City fans have been unfairly treated in the past, for looking at this video, I would love to know the justification for what appears to be an horrific assault by a copper.

1 minute ago, Countryfile said:

While we have a serious threat of innocent people being killed by terrorists with knives, guns or bombs the need to police a football match is simply crazy, (I’m assuming this video is football related).

How many police are needed at rugby games?

It is crazy but it’s 100% needed because unfortunatly there are plenty of knuckle scrapers who attend football matches that simply cannot be trusted.

As always there are two sides to every story - so before we all judge on the ‘heavy hand of the police’ against a 16 yr old (and some 16yr olds these days are bigger than Desperate Dan) the least you can do is reserve judgement until you hear or see the other side - which you probably won’t until it possibly ends up in court. 

2 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

While we have a serious threat of innocent people being killed by terrorists with knives, guns or bombs the need to police a football match is simply crazy, (I’m assuming this video is football related).

How many police are needed at rugby games?

My assumption is that the video is football related, Barnsley/Wednesday.

My experience of police at football has generally been fairly positive, but equally there are some forces that appear to take a completely different approach to others in terms of engagement and aggression.

4 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

As always there are two sides to every story - so before we all judge on the ‘heavy hand of the police’ against a 16 yr old (and some 16yr olds these days are bigger than Desperate Dan) the least you can do is reserve judgement until you hear or see the other side - which you probably won’t until it possibly ends up in court. 

There was only one side who were armed, and one child who had his head cracked open.

I'll never understand how a football fan could reflexively take the side of South Yorkshire Police given their history.

7 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Quite agree there are two sides to every story, and it could be that the person clubbed over the head in that video was a danger/carrying a blade and needed to be detained.

So I am not judging anything, but I haven't seen anything like that before on someone who looks little more than a child.

Idiots on both sides.

Ive seen the police commit awful crimes at football.

Bit it’s a minority obviously,

There only humans doing a job, as fallible and incompetent as the rest of us. Sadly the rest us don’t get the luxury of hiding behind a uniform.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree there are two sides to every story, and it could be that the person clubbed over the head in that video was a danger/carrying a blade and needed to be detained.

So I am not judging anything, but I haven't seen anything like that before on someone who looks little more than a child.

There’s absolutely a chance that is correct.

32 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

It is crazy but it’s 100% needed because unfortunatly there are plenty of knuckle scrapers who attend football matches that simply cannot be trusted.

Are you serious? Here is the video of the lad being struck. Please watch it and say if you still stick with your original post. 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Take any video of a police officer using a baton and if you edit it well it’ll look like over zealous policing. Utter bollocks video to start a debate upon. 

How have they managed to edit a video of a policeman launching himself full pelt at someone and whacking him square round the head with a baton which results in the kids head absolutely streaming with blood?  Come on! 

Most coppers at football are ok in my experience and just want the day to pass by peacefully. Unfortunately some are just bullies who like to act like nightclub bouncers from old. Might be down to the training because the people skills of some are non existent. I’ve seen some terrible assaults by police, not just at football mind you where if a member of the public had committed the assault they’d most certainly (and correctly) be sent to jail. That said with regard to the op, I have to question the dodgy editing?

Edit: Just watched the other vid frame by frame. Blokes a thug who swings his weapon full pelt into the lads head. Hope he gets banged up.

54 minutes ago, Stortz said:

There was only one side who were armed, and one child who had his head cracked open.

I'll never understand how a football fan could reflexively take the side of South Yorkshire Police given their history.

Have you evidence you can share with us ‘the child’ (sure his mummy will like that) that he wasn’t armed or maybe just why the nasty policeman randomly picked on him?

South York’s police did have a bad reputation and no no doubt due to that they’re under more scrutiny than other forces so hopefully they’ve learnt from it. 

Maybe if the idiots who kicked off outside the Spanish Bar yesterday took their aggression into a boxing ring or somewhere more appropriate it would allow us scale back the police presence at our games - and keep our costs down. 

Also goes the selfish meathead in W5 (UL) who at the end of yesterday’s game when we were all well p*****d off should have kept his fat mouth shut and have avoided the torrent of abuse towards the pitch whilst very young kids were exiting from the family stand. His justification that he pays as much as anyone else and can do what he wants was selfish to say the least.

I hope his BMW broke down on the way home...

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Take any video of a police officer using a baton and if you edit it well it’ll look like over zealous policing. Utter bollocks video to start a debate upon. 

Running full pelt and potentially killing someone with a crack to head with a solid bar, if it was a supporter they would be doing bird. 

Really struggling to see the policing in this

19 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Have you evidence you can share with us ‘the child’ (sure his mummy will like that) that he wasn’t armed or maybe just why the nasty policeman randomly picked on him?

South York’s police did have a bad reputation and no no doubt due to that they’re under more scrutiny than other forces so hopefully they’ve learnt from it. 

Maybe if the idiots who kicked off outside the Spanish Bar yesterday took their aggression into a boxing ring or somewhere more appropriate it would allow us scale back the police presence at our games - and keep our costs down. 

Also goes the selfish meathead in W5 (UL) who at the end of yesterday’s game when we were all well p*****d off should have kept his fat mouth shut and have avoided the torrent of abuse towards the pitch whilst very young kids were exiting from the family stand. His justification that he pays as much as anyone else and can do what he wants was selfish to say the least.

I hope his BMW broke down on the way home...

Do you mean other than the footage of the incident above which clearly shows that or?

I don't really follow the rest of your post sorry.

There is no context so you cannot judge if it it was heavy handed at all. 

If there is a person bleeding to death having just been stabbed by the kid before the video starts is it still heavy handed? If he's just twatted someone over the head with a brick is it still heavy handed? If he's been a tracking the police officers is it still heavy handed? 

I have seen plenty of incidents of the Police being completely over the top and I am by no means their biggest fan, but frankly this video shows no context and therefore is totally useless for showing anything other than a police officer using their baton. 

50 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Indeed.

It would be interesting to see an unedited version of events, including the moments leading up to the 'assault', which might put the unfortunate incident in to some context.

Of course, such an unedited video may well support the limited version shown, and, no doubt, if this is the case, we can all read about it when the case comes to Court.

If the police officer used unnecessary force then he will be held to account, fired and possibly even jailed - rightly so btw. 

If someone ELSE whacked someone over the head or beat someone up, they would be unlikely even to be investigated let alone punished. 

we are becoming a nation of snowflakes and if we don’t start clamping down on unruly behaviour then anarchy is only a decade or so away. 

I obviously don’t know what led up to this event - and to be honest I couldn’t even see the actual assault from the jumpy video, so my comments are very much a ‘generalisation’ - but everyone seems to be keen to have a go at the police - until they actually NEED a policeman. 

1 hour ago, lenred said:

How have they managed to edit a video of a policeman launching himself full pelt at someone and whacking him square round the head with a baton which results in the kids head absolutely streaming with blood?  Come on! 

What if the video initially showed said kid throwing a fire bomb at the old bill?

I’m absolutely not saying it did, but editing a video to start exactly there is done for one reason only.  

I'm a bit suspicious of how that video has been cut.

On the face of it, looks horrendous.

Now let's say the kid has just thrown half a brick at someone or the copper, does it still look that bad?

Who knows what the full situation was.

Hopefully there was more complete footage and body cams being used and someone can actually arrive at a considered judgment.

Archived