IGNORED

Police.

Bristol Rob

I think the difference between me and many of you on here is not the fact that I’m a police officer and I’m keen to defence a ‘colleague’, it’s the fact that I’m trained to deal in evidence. The start of the clip is missing and it’s wholly important to make an informed decision as to whether the level of force is justified or not. I’m not saying it is, far from it, In fact it’s probably not but we just can’t be sure. It’s unlikely that he posed the level of threat needed to crack someone round the head, but we don’t know. 

Im used to presenting evidence to prove cases beyond reasonable doubt. This case is missing a clearly crucial piece of evidence. Why? Well the person recording the video either started it then and there, or they’ve deliberately edited it in such a fashion as to attempt to spare those who may have been committing offences in the build up. 

I know many of you want to assume that he’d done nothing to warrant that level of force (again, he probably didn’t) but it’s not a full picture. 

13 hours ago, Harry said:

@Fordy62 

I’ve given it 22 hours, so this is a gentle reminder. 
This was a totally genuine question, as I don’t know the answer. 
What is taught? In what circumstances are the police taught to aim for the head? 
Genuinely interested to know. 

When its a football fan!

The way police treat football fans is a disgrace.

I’ve just read the thread about Trolls on OTIB and have just read this thread. I’m guessing that the OP on the Trolls thread may have been including this thread in his/her point.

Some of the comments on this thread are simply staggering and embarrassing for the usual good nature of OTIB. ?

On 09/02/2020 at 11:33, Sleepy1968 said:

Clearly smashing someone in the head with a baton when you are not in immediate peril is potentially a serious criminal assult whether you are a serving police officer or not. That the posted footage was edited might mean there was an effort to misrepresent the incident, or it might mean nothing. Anyway, I'm sure the police will have multiple body cam footage of this incident, and there will be other CCTV footage avalable, which can be presented in court as evidence by either the defence or prosecution, depending on who's on trial and what the footage shows.

Did notice on google there is 2 cctv cameras on the betting shop opposite the greggs shop. It may have picked something up.

On 08/02/2020 at 20:49, bcfcredandwhite said:

If the police officer used unnecessary force then he will be held to account, fired and possibly even jailed - rightly so btw. 

If someone ELSE whacked someone over the head or beat someone up, they would be unlikely even to be investigated let alone punished. 

we are becoming a nation of snowflakes and if we don’t start clamping down on unruly behaviour then anarchy is only a decade or so away. 

I obviously don’t know what led up to this event - and to be honest I couldn’t even see the actual assault from the jumpy video, so my comments are very much a ‘generalisation’ - but everyone seems to be keen to have a go at the police - until they actually NEED a policeman. 

Clearly facts around what caused the incident need to be established but the idea that a member of the public acting like that wouldn’t investigate is laughable. Also not sure it’s people being ‘snowflakes’ to think that children having their head cut open by the police is pretty concerning.

1 hour ago, windmillhillred said:

Clearly facts around what caused the incident need to be established but the idea that a member of the public acting like that wouldn’t investigate is laughable. Also not sure it’s people being ‘snowflakes’ to think that children having their head cut open by the police is pretty concerning.

Was it clear to you from that video that a police officer caused that wound?

if so then I bow to your better interpretation of a very jumpy and unclear video and I didn’t see anyone - police or not - strike a blow. 
good job I am not needed as a witness....

it’s not laughable to me btw - it’s tragic reality. 
I’m 53 years old and I’ve seen fights in many pubs and streets that have gone uninvestigated. Some where people have been scarred - but nobody has been brought to justice. 
It’s how it is. 

23 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Sorry Harry, when I initially responded to this thread I was a little worse for wear and perhaps didn’t get my initial point across particularly well! And so when you asked I was amidst being told off by the wife for coming back from football a little too drunk (the joys of non league!). 

We’re taught that there are three sets of target areas for batons. Primary (muscle masses - typically the thigh or upper arm), secondary (joints - knee or elbow) and final (head or spine). 

Generally there’s no encouragement or practising of strikes to the head but that’s not to say we’re prohibited. Each scenario requires a dynamic response. Someone trying to stab you And causing genuine threat to your life (or another’s) is fair game for a headshot, whereas someone who’s just a bit bigger and harder wanting to fight is better off struck to the arms or legs. It basically all about ensuring that the force used is proportionate and being able to justify it.  My initial response to said video was to question exactly why it had been started at the point it was. The likelihood is that the kid who was struck probably not causing imminent threat to life - but we just can’t see so we can’t be 100% sure - we don’t know what he was doing. 

Rest assured I’d be feeling particularly uncomfortable if I were the officer in question and he’ll do well to justify his actions. I’m not a massive one for batons or spray in fact even when I was slashed across the hand I didn’t then use my baton - although my colleague did!

There are massive bellends in policing as there are all occupations, but there are some really nice guys too. Sadly though some people can’t see past the uniform and have an unnatural hatred for us - and to be fair videos like this one don’t do a lot to help. But I’m a nice guy and fortunately now working on homicide, I like to think the majority of my confrontational days are behind me.

Hello Fordy. I too asked you about the head vs body issue but you were probably still worse for wear then too....same as your batoning a child reply........I took that as a joke but in all seriousness what is being portrayed here "appears" to be sheer violence on the Polices' part. I accept your comments made since and think they are fair and honest whilst at the same time not over committing....again fair enough.  You are correct that there are good and bad cops.  However,  those that step over the blue line need to be brought to justice which often Joe Public does not see.  Regards this particular case, are you in a position to keep us updated as to progress without of course doing anything to the detriment of the case ?? I think that may help and at least show some transparency.  Cheers and COYR.

6 minutes ago, KevP said:

Hello Fordy. I too asked you about the head vs body issue but you were probably still worse for wear then too....same as your batoning a child reply........I took that as a joke but in all seriousness what is being portrayed here "appears" to be sheer violence on the Polices' part. I accept your comments made since and think they are fair and honest whilst at the same time not over committing....again fair enough.  You are correct that there are good and bad cops.  However,  those that step over the blue line need to be brought to justice which often Joe Public does not see.  Regards this particular case, are you in a position to keep us updated as to progress without of course doing anything to the detriment of the case ?? I think that may help and at least show some transparency.  Cheers and COYR.

Afraid not mate. Aside from the fact that there are all sorts of new data regulations, isn’t this a South Yorks case? And furthermore it’d be a professional standards investigation, and professional standards I am not. 

You’re right in saying the bad ones need to be bright to justice and perhaps I see more of that than you do. Just have a google of “police officer convicted assault” or maybe just even “police officer convicted” and it should show that the cover up days of days gone by are quite so dark as they once were. 

Archived