IGNORED

Weimann

Agard Days Night

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I haven’t had my response yet ☹️☹️☹️

You haven’t had a response yet from @Agard Days Night ?! That can’t be right, he or she was quick to post that they’d respond to your question - and he or she has been very active on this thread - so, the usual ridiculous performance from Agard on here then - probably plotting the next totally false rumour to post on here to ensure the attention he or she craves is maintained ...

20 minutes ago, Redstart said:

He probably does if you only measure 'shots on target' - I think the problem will be when looking at number of goals to total shots.

Personally I think the guy has to put up with playing out of position and piss poor service all season. He is the logical one to rest now, especially the way Fam is playing at the mo but to single him out for sole criticism is just a cheap shot.

Looking at ‘total shots’ - Weimann apparently scores a goal every five shots ... I agree with you that he’s been played out of position and not having Palmer behind him anymore has hampered his effectiveness - it could have all been so different this season, but that’s life ...

8 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I think beyond his running around he offers very little. 

Apart from the 9 goals you mean?  :facepalm:

Andi's problem is he is often stuck on the right-wing. It's a position he had little joy with at Derby and the same rules apply here.

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Apart from the 9 goals you mean?  :facepalm:

Andi's problem is he is often stuck on the right-wing. It's a position he had little joy with at Derby and the same rules apply here.

He has played a lot up top this season to be fair. Has not really played wide right much at all after opening game.

6 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’ll answer Dave’s post, as he has asked some good questions. It’s funny how he’s managed to do that without insults, wild claims or inciting trouble. He’s never had a ban has he?

I’ll just finishing tidying up my room, so get the kettle on and make yourself another cup of tea. 

When will you answer @Davefevs‘ post?

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He has played a lot up top this season to be fair. Has not really played wide right much at all after opening game.

This seems to a contentious topic this season - why are loads saying we play ‘one up top’ if you think Weimann is a central striker? Surely Fammy and Weimann both playing as centre forwards, as you say Weimann is, would mean we’ve played two up front for most of the season ... that’s just not true is it ?!

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This seems to a contentious topic this season - why are loads saying we play ‘one up top’ if you think Weimann is a central striker? Surely Fammy and Weimann both playing as centre forwards, as you say Weimann is, would mean we’ve played two up front for most of the season ... that’s just not true is it ?!

Yes it is true. Been playing 442 quite a lot of it.

Before that it was 352.

Only recently we have gone to 4141.

Even then Weimann has been wide left and joining into centre forward type positions close to Fam.

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Often pushed wide during the game, even if he starts as part of a front two. Johnson seems to like that. Just look at Friday.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yes it is true. Been playing 442 quite a lot of it.

Before that it was 352.

Only recently we have gone to 4141.

Even then Weimann has been wide left and joining into centre forward type positions close to Fam.

My only question is whether you see Weimann and Diedhiou in a 2 in a 442 as having equal rights to being labelled a striker / centre forward (other than just looking at a team sheet shown in basic formation).  I think Weimann is asked to drift around Diedhiou, and Diedhiou is asked to stay central.  Diedhiou is what I would call our striker / our centre forward.  Weimann in my opinion is a forward.

The number of occasions Weimann has played as a true centre forward is pretty low in numbers, and mainly been as a one, e.g. early last season, or in a two, with Afobe.  In fact at Hull, Weimann played in the “Palmer” role and Diedhiou and Afobe played as centre-forwards.  When Weimann partnered Afobe, it was a more equal relationship.  Afobe running channels, Weimann ensuring he hit the box, and vice-versa.  A partnership.  I don’t blame Diedhiou.  It’s under instruction I reckon.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My only question is whether you see Weimann and Diedhiou in a 2 in a 442 as having equal rights to being labelled a striker / centre forward (other than just looking at a team sheet shown in basic formation).  I think Weimann is asked to drift around Diedhiou, and Diedhiou is asked to stay central.  Diedhiou is what I would call our striker / our centre forward.  Weimann in my opinion is a forward.

The number of occasions Weimann has played as a true centre forward is pretty low in numbers, and mainly been as a one, e.g. early last season, or in a two, with Afobe.  In fact at Hull, Weimann played in the “Palmer” role and Diedhiou and Afobe played as centre-forwards.  When Weimann partnered Afobe, it was a more equal relationship.  Afobe running channels, Weimann ensuring he hit the box, and vice-versa.  A partnership.  I don’t blame Diedhiou.  It’s under instruction I reckon.

I would say his role has mainly been the Bobby Reid role alongside Fam. I don't think he drops back to receive the ball so much in attacking midfield position which is a big negative for me. He does run the channels, but strikers generally do that, certainly when in a 2.

He has certainly been in and around the box in pretty much every game this season. He played up top on his own in one of the games and struggled. Even when out wide left recently he has moved a lot into centre forward areas during games.

I think Fam does loads more for the team in his hold up play and winning headers than Weimann. But Weimann does a lot more for the team in his chasing. Though Fam has certainly improved in that area as he seems fitter now.

I'm just not sure he will ever score many. Maybe he will score more alongside Wells if LJ goes for that.

If Fam keeps his place then I'd drop Weimann for sure. If LJ wants to go with Weimann and Wells then fair enough.

If so then hopefully Weimann's running can help Wells.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Often pushed wide during the game, even if he starts as part of a front two. Johnson seems to like that. Just look at Friday.

I think he is pushed out wide in games because we are usually poor when Weimann partners Fam. If it was a better strike force then I'm sure he would keep it like that.

7 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’ll answer Dave’s post, as he has asked some good questions. It’s funny how he’s managed to do that without insults, wild claims or inciting trouble. He’s never had a ban has he?

I’ll just finishing tidying up my room, so get the kettle on and make yourself another cup of tea. 

When are you going to answer @Davefevs‘ post? It’s been seven hours now and you just got funny when @BobBobSuperBobchallenged you ... so, answer Dave’s post?

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think he is pushed out wide in games because we are usually poor when Weimann partners Fam. If it was a better strike force then I'm sure he would keep it like that.

They don't work together as a partnership, true, but curiously Afobe and Weimann did work as a partnership. 

I think the difference was Benik was able to anticipate Andi's runs better.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They don't work together as a partnership, true, but curiously Afobe and Weimann did work as a partnership. 

I think the difference was Benik was able to anticipate Andi's runs better.

Much better strike force. But also with Palmer in behind so Weimann could run out wide as he often does and we still have a link player between midfield and attack.

In a 442 with Weimann and Fam up top. Weimann will make a run and then there's no link player in the attacking midfield position, so we lose a short passing option, and often have to go long. Well, sometimes there may be an option if say a wide player drifts inside. But generally the set up does not work.

Also I wonder with Fam is in a 2, does he need a player closer to him than what Weimann often is.

No doubt Weimann would suit Wells better. Not sure if Fam will suit Wells.

Could argue Wells is actually best on his own with Palmer in behind. Then there's room for Eliasson too in the side.

I expect LJ is planning to go back to the 352 that we saw earlier in the season. Palmer back in when he's back, Wells as our new Afobe.

That would appear to be Weimann's best formation and teammates to be playing near him.

This will really have to work if LJ goes with this as it seems crazy to drop Fam or Eliasson.

And it will be interesting if Afobe returns to his best. Good competition for places.

Many options, but I think he should drop Weimann if he keeps Diedhiou in there. But pllay Weimann if we go 352 with Wells.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I would say his role has mainly been the Bobby Reid role alongside Fam. I don't think he drops back to receive the ball so much in attacking midfield position which is a big negative for me. He does run the channels, but strikers generally do that, certainly when in a 2.

shame he’s the only one of the two that do....hey-ho ☹️

He has certainly been in and around the box in pretty much every game this season. He played up top on his own in one of the games and struggled.

West Brom (a) in LJ’s new-fangled 5-3-1-1.  For the opening 20 minutes him and Palmer looked good.  That was it though.

Even when out wide left recently he has moved a lot into centre forward areas during games.

I think Fam does loads more for the team in his hold up play and winning headers than Weimann. But Weimann does a lot more for the team in his chasing. Though Fam has certainly improved in that area as he seems fitter now.

I'm just not sure he will ever score many.

He’s got 9, our top scorer in the league, despite playing very little as an out and out striker.

Maybe he will score more alongside Wells if LJ goes for that.

If Fam keeps his place then I'd drop Weimann for sure. If LJ wants to go with Weimann and Wells then fair enough.

If so then hopefully Weimann's running can help Wells.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure it matters what kind of striker we call him, as he is often in the box to score goals with a big physical presence alongside him.

It is mainly Weimann and Fam that are in the box when balls get played in. That's what I believe is what matters. If he was not getting in the box much then fair enough. But he has mainly been a striker. I am not saying 9 goals is terrible, but just saying it's not exactly that great either.

I thought if we could go from one game then the WBA game showed why LJ does not try Weimann on his own up top. He was pretty easily dealt with I thought.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think beyond his running around he offers very little. He runs and points.

why do you think he does that?

For us to break our general transfer policy and wage structure to carry somebody who is largely ineffective seems an odd decision.

£2m....what wages is he on.  What is our wage structure?

The running around seems to cover up a lot of other failings in the eyes of many fans (all entitied to their opinions and you won’t see me insulting them or their family as a result).

What are the failings you see?

Scott Wagstaff used to run quite a lot. Maybe he’s the messiah too?

Waggy was a good disciplined RM in a structured team.  Technically decent at Lg1 level, and in 13/14 probably one of our better players, under the radar because of Jet and Baldock’s goals.  Did he steal a living too then?

why do you think he does that?

because his main attribute is industry. Admirable to a point but lacking in efficiency and impact. If you added in direction and goals (see Decordova-Reid when it all clicked) then it’s all good. Without the end product it’s all smoke without fire (IMHO). If he was indeed a great talent we wouldn’t of been trying tirelessly for other striking options each transfer window. If we want to progress, I would suggest he is not good enough to a) lead the line or b) steal a place shoehorned in our wide.

£2m....what wages is he on.  What is our wage structure?

Expensive for a player that can’t hold down his ‘best’ position. Not sure on wages but would assume, with an educated guess, that he doesn’t come cheap what with being a world beating international starlet with Premier League quality. 

What are the failings you see?

As detailed elsewhere - lack of impact, lack of end product, doesn’t really link up well with out other strikers, or our attack minded midfielders. Can’t cross for toffee so wasted our wide and not good enough up top. 

Waggy was a good disciplined RM in a structured team.  Technically decent at Lg1 level, and in 13/14 probably one of our better players, under the radar because of Jet and Baldock’s goals.  Did he steal a living too then?

No, I don’t think he did. But I also don’t think he would be of the calibre we need to push on. Exactly as I feel about Weimann. And he wasn’t undroppable, as Weimann appears to be.

Apologies for the late reply. I’ve had a busy day and my life doesn’t revolve around this forum but glad to get back in touch now. Thanks for the interesting questions and reasoned debate. Glad some on here can talk like adults. COYR

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

6 games at the start of last season showed he can be the main striker.  But I doubt we will see that again.

I remember I was not 100% sure about him until he partnered Taylor against QPR I think, probably about 4 games in. Perfect type of partner for Weimann.

Don't even know how that Forest goal on his debut was awarded to him. Hit the bar and then hit their goalies head and went in!

I remember that first half suited him. Dominated, pressing them and went in 1 nil up.

Second half they played us off the park and equalised.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You haven’t had a response yet from @Agard Days Night ?! That can’t be right, he or she was quick to post that they’d respond to your question - and he or she has been very active on this thread - so, the usual ridiculous performance from Agard on here then - probably plotting the next totally false rumour to post on here to ensure the attention he or she craves is maintained ...

I was busy fella.

Archived