IGNORED

Weimann

Agard Days Night

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Bit of a shame for him today to go off injured, I cant remember him ever being injured before really. Forced us into making an early sub which certainly wasn't part of the plan and didn't help. 

Thought we improved after that to be honest.

Pato better support for Wells than Weimann imo.

O'Dowda was decent on the left too.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Was our brightest spell towards h-t. O'Dowda showed well in that spell.  Bit better possession at start of second half, but then as a team we faded away.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I agree. I really meant that losing him forced us into making an early sub so we had less options later in the game. I dont' think he would have started if Diedhiou hadn't been ill. But Weimann  is usually always fit and played, he's not one for injuries usually.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Weimann ill too...puking last night and after subbed too

Ah that explains it, as I said very unlike him to be injured

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Weimann ill too...puking last night and after subbed too

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ just explained , he had been ill and was vomiting this morning , and ran straight off to vomit

Great attitude but he’ll still get slated

Makes the usual suspects look a bit silly now doesn’t it?! You know, the ones who post relentlessly on all match day threads waxing lyrical about players’ performances despite not being at the games. And some of them seem to have decided that Weimann should be the latest scapegoat ... ?

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And some of them seem to have decided that Weimann should be the latest scapegoat ...

Wrong. Flappy isn't worth his place in the side and playing through sickness is another failing on his part. He shouldn't have done so allowing a fit player to cover the role he signally didn't today . If he decided to play in fear he might not get picked again that's another reason to drop him.

32 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Wrong. Flappy isn't worth his place in the side and playing through sickness is another failing on his part. He shouldn't have done so allowing a fit player to cover the role he signally didn't today . If he decided to play in fear he might not get picked again that's another reason to drop him.

I’m not ‘wrong’ - it’s my opinion .... and what the hell is ‘flappy’ all about?! 

5 hours ago, dave36 said:we all saw the threat he produced, why have we not seen it since is a question that needs to be answered!

Or...

we accept it that those six games at the start of last season are the exception to the rule and the anomaly in his form and impact and admit that he’s not good enough if we really want to progress.

No scapegoating here at all, just an observation and an opinion. 

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Makes the usual suspects look a bit silly now doesn’t it?! You know, the ones who post relentlessly on all match day threads waxing lyrical about players’ performances despite not being at the games. And some of them seem to have decided that Weimann should be the latest scapegoat ... ?

How so?

Don’t think he should be starting. The fact he has a case of D&V doesn’t really change that does it?

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ just explained , he had been ill and was vomiting this morning , and ran straight off to vomit

Great attitude but he’ll still get slated

Doesn’t change the fact he’s not consistent or impactful enough though does it? Admittedly it is admirable to want to play despite physical sickness but doesn’t really balance out the lack of a cutting edge in his play.

Generally I'd say Weimann has been the same in recent weeks and months to what he has been most of this season and most of last season.

People have been saying he's off form. I think there were many performances like what we have been seeing recently from him earlier in the season and a lot of last season.

Last season there was always the excuse that he's been moved out to the wing. But he's mainly been no better through the middle this season.

10 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Or...

we accept it that those six games at the start of last season are the exception to the rule and the anomaly in his form and impact and admit that he’s not good enough if we really want to progress.

No scapegoating here at all, just an observation and an opinion. 

You may be right ADN, but there remains a question why he’s not been allowed to play in that role again, as the main striker.  He isn’t that position / role in any way when Fam plays, irrespective of what a Sky Sports team graphic shows.  He is made to play second fiddle to Fam.

In the 3 games when Fam suspended, got two goals, alongside Rodri once, Watkins twice, playing a role less second fiddle.

Another 2 in 3 in Autumn (Preston, Brentford, Swansea) when Fam was on bench, partnered by Semenyo twice, Szmodics in the 0-0.

A goal and an assist with Afobe (plus another assist when he played behind Fam and Afobe).

Thats quite interesting isn’t it.

What we don't know is who assessed Weimann pre match.

Knowing he'd been ill...did LJ ask him to play still, or did Weimann say he was fit enough, thinking he was, or knowing he wasn't? We'll probably never know.

But from his actions pre match in the warm up, and the fact he went hiding in the game and only touched the ball 8 times, tells me he wasn't fit to play.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Knowing he'd been ill...did LJ ask him to play still, or did Weimann say he was fit enough, thinking he was, or knowing he wasn't? We'll probably never know.

But from his actions pre match in the warm up, and the fact he went hiding in the game and only touched the ball 8 times, tells me he wasn't fit to play.

Makes you wonder whether they hoped Fam would be fine by yesterday (puking Wednesday) and set-up their preps based on this.  Fam still unwell, plans out the window???  Keys just put Andi in, as he’s less ill???  I dunno.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Makes you wonder whether they hoped Fam would be fine by yesterday (puking Wednesday) and set-up their preps based on this.  Fam still unwell, plans out the window???  Keys just put Andi in, as he’s less ill???  I dunno.

All possible... however I would have risked neither. 

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

He touched the ball 9 times in 45 minutes in an away game I think at Sheffield Wednesday. 

So touching it 8 times in 20 odd minutes or however long he was on yesterday does not necessarily indicate anything imo.

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He touched the ball 9 times in 45 minutes in an away game I think at Sheffield Wednesday. 

So touching it 8 times in 20 odd minutes or however long he was on yesterday does not necessarily indicate anything imo.

Depends whether it's down to the game and circumstances, or going hiding and not wanting the ball imo.

8 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Weimann for me is one of the first names on the team sheet his work rate is second to none and the space that creates for others is so important , always gives 110% one of lj's best signings.

That’s not enough though Ben. Running around and pointing just isn’t adequate or else he’d be leading the line.

If he really should be first name on the team sheet then maybe we’ve found our level and we want to settle for Championship upper mid-table mediocrity which is his level.

If that’s the case then great, we’ve all suffered through enough League One scraps and relegation battles to see that as progress. But if we want more, he’s not good enough to spearhead a promotion challenge.

3 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

That’s not enough though Ben. Running around and pointing just isn’t adequate or else he’d be leading the line.

If he really should be first name on the team sheet then maybe we’ve found our level and we want to settle for Championship upper mid-table mediocrity which is his level.

If that’s the case then great, we’ve all suffered through enough League One scraps and relegation battles to see that as progress. But if we want more, he’s not good enough to spearhead a promotion challenge.

Out of interest, what did you make of post #142 ⬆️

Archived