IGNORED

Weimann

Agard Days Night

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You may be right ADN, but there remains a question why he’s not been allowed to play in that role again, as the main striker.  He isn’t that position / role in any way when Fam plays, irrespective of what a Sky Sports team graphic shows.  He is made to play second fiddle to Fam.

In the 3 games when Fam suspended, got two goals, alongside Rodri once, Watkins twice, playing a role less second fiddle.

Another 2 in 3 in Autumn (Preston, Brentford, Swansea) when Fam was on bench, partnered by Semenyo twice, Szmodics in the 0-0.

A goal and an assist with Afobe (plus another assist when he played behind Fam and Afobe).

Thats quite interesting isn’t it.

Interesting indeed.

I would hazard a guess it’s because apart from a few games here and there (as above, maybe these games are the anomaly) he simply doesn’t cut the mustard. And maybe he has a great attitude and is integral to the dressing room and team spirit and is a model pro but just doesn’t show enough in training to warrant that spot leading the line.

For all Fam has been criticised by LJ in press conferences etc he doesn’t seem inclined to drop him and go with Weimann. There has to be a reason for that. People on here very quick to say I know nothing about football (just because they disagree) but maybe we could ask LJ why he also doesn’t see Weimann as his star striker?

Out of our squad so the available players to be picked weimann should be one of the first names on the team sheet and yes i believe workrate and hunger is enough , when it creates space for others and makes others raise their standards , ho does also chip in with goals also, is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

7 hours ago, bengalcub said:

is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

So why has nobody deemed him good enough to play there again?

We’ve all seen how strikers tend to need just one or two good seasons at Championship level to earn a move to at least a newly promoted Premier League team. Even if that just lasts for a season.

Why hasn’t that happened to Weimann? Could it be that he’s not good enough?

11 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Out of our squad so the available players to be picked weimann should be one of the first names on the team sheet and yes i believe workrate and hunger is enough , when it creates space for others and makes others raise their standards , ho does also chip in with goals also, is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

He’s our very own Dirk Kuyt.

58 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Like a lot of our players he seems totally devoid of confidence and confused about his role

Somebody should sit him down in front of some game videos and show that whilst chasing 50 metres for a lost cause may look good it almost never ends up in winning the ball.

Chasing down a keeper almost always ends up with him putting it out of touch though .

I think the key is timing .

I heard an ex-pro commenting on Andi , cannot remember who it was , but they said he should be more intelligent with his running. The implication being that he wastes a heck of a lot of his energy which effects him when he needs it most , ie in the penalty box . 

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Somebody should sit him down in front of some game videos and show that whilst chasing 50 metres for a lost cause may look good it almost never ends up in winning the ball.

Even if he did win the ball he has very little end product, particularly when playing out wide. You don’t see him get the ball and feel like we are a threat. 

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Chasing down a keeper almost always ends up with him putting it out of touch though .

I heard an ex-pro commenting on Andi , cannot remember who it was , but they said he should be more intelligent with his running. The implication being that he wastes a heck of a lot of his energy which effects him when he needs it most , ie in the penalty box . 

Most of the time he’s like a headless chicken Major. 

I genuinely believe a number of fans are blinded by the fact he has Premier League and International experience. If we’d signed him from League One or he came from our academy there would be calls to drop him and upgrade.

He gets an easy ride in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Couldnt disagree more i believe the fans judge on what they see not his past glories , you dont rate him thats fine others watch his workrate and desire and really appreciate that level of commitment week in week out.

Would you rather we had somebody who had that commitment, work rate and desire but had more quality, cutting edge and end product?

1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

Even if he did win the ball he has very little end product, particularly when playing out wide. You don’t see him get the ball and feel like we are a threat. 

You are being too harsh on him. 9 goals and 3 assists this season does not suggest he has little end product. I would also point out he has not been played in a regular position. He is one of those players  that can play in multiple positions hence why LJ uses him so much. He can play as a striker, a winger or as part of a front 3. Even a number 10 and for some games this season as a wing back.

He always runs his socks off. Players like Palmer could well learn something from his work ethic 

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You are being too harsh on him. 9 goals and 3 assists this season does not suggest he has little end product. I would also point out he has not been played in a regular position. He is one of those players  that can play in multiple positions hence why LJ uses him so much. He can play as a striker, a winger or as part of a front 3. Even a number 10 and for some games this season as a wing back.

He always runs his socks off. Players like Palmer could well learn something from his work ethic 

Not played in a regular position up top because he’s not good enough to hold that position as his own. Instead he’s shoehorned in out wide. 

15 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I see we have moved on from Fammy, who was being slated pre Wells signing...now to Weimann. ?‍♂️

I have got no issues with Diedhiou at all and haven’t ever said anything that could be consider slating him. I feel if he was ineffective or out of form he would naturally be dropped. I also think he suits where he plays and does more than enough to hold down his place. Neither can be said for Weimann (in my opinion). 

If Diedhiou was being played on the wing I suspect we wouldn’t see the best of him. But would everybody be gushing about how much he runs around or would people be asking for a better player to fill that role?

2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

I see we have moved on from Fammy, who was being slated pre Wells signing...now to Weimann. ?‍♂️

Fam has been brilliant most games for a while now to be fair.

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t agree with that opinion, Andi has rarely looked knackered.  He is incredibly fit.  But it is about opinions.  Who was it who said that?

4 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I have got no issues with Diedhiou at all and haven’t ever said anything that could be consider slating him. I feel if he was ineffective or out of form he would naturally be dropped.

which was what happened when Afobe came in.

And again when we went with Semenyo and Szmodics alongside Weimann, and again with Watkins and Weimann.

I also think he suits where he plays and does more than enough to hold down his place. Neither can be said for Weimann (in my opinion). 

If Diedhiou was being played on the wing I suspect we wouldn’t see the best of him. But would everybody be gushing about how much he runs around or would people be asking for a better player to fill that role?

At the end of the day, we have two strikers / forwards (whichever side of the fence you sit on) that generally don’t work together, in the system devised by the coach.  Currently Fam is playing better than Andi, and deserves first dibs with Wells, just like Andi did with Afobe, as he was playing better than Fam at the time, or felt to be a better partner.

A few people have mentioned that Fam looks like he’s become a bit leaner.  Can’t say I’ve noticed....those bloody big shorts he wears are a bit of an illusion, he’s not dissimilar in build to Aaron Wilbraham.

What we need to hope is that Fam and Nahki hit it off.  Early signs encouraging.  Up to Fam to keep working hard.  There’s definitely been more desire since that sub appearance v Charlton.  Pent up anger from being left out, then banned, he’s come back to prove a point.  Maybe he had a kick up the arse (like Pato)?

I can only imagine what Nahki and Benik might be like together.  Who knows we might see this happen at some point.

5 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Any Weimann fans willing to shed any light on what he did to earn a recall and keep Wells out of the team today?

Nope, can’t fathom it out either....although I did think he was rather good when he came on as sub v West Brom.

There is no rhyme or reason for Lee’s selections....today proved that.

He did a couple of Ok things first half, as did Fam....after that they were both very disappointing.

But I don’t judge a player on one game, but of kate he generally hasn’t been playing well.

Is that a fair response?

He looks shot of confidence to me. There were a couple of opportunities today where he was 1 on 1 with the last defender but decided to hold the ball up rather than running at the man. He was poor today and I feel Wells would've relished in the first half. Even when Famara is not at his best, he still offers a bit of physicality and helps out a lot at the back. 

44 minutes ago, Coppello said:

He looks shot of confidence to me. There were a couple of opportunities today where he was 1 on 1 with the last defender but decided to hold the ball up rather than running at the man. He was poor today and I feel Wells would've relished in the first half. Even when Famara is not at his best, he still offers a bit of physicality and helps out a lot at the back. 

His game has never really been to take players on.

Archived