IGNORED

50+ players. Really!!

La Plage

As I have tried to say several times, LJ is what he is some love, some hate. However no tactics no best 11 and certainly no plan B c d e f g, that is the real issue. Get someone in he can learn these things from or get rid. Yes we’re skating round the play off but unfortunately our “luck” bucket is getting empty, anyone else could have seen that amongst the 2100 at QPR to see we stole the Crown Jewels that day and all this winning team blah blah blah is deluded it was the same lightweight midfield that was crying out for our new foreign saviour. NW proven 17 goals in the championship and doesn’t start, fing bonkers. Can we all not just see regardless of league place, Johnson out, better do better he needs to starts leading this bloody squad of 50 players pick his best team/ formation work on the basics all week in training and get on with it, pick players who can pass it forward and not side back side back side back side back to defence woooooooshhhhh.KP dropped again, the only true flair player we have, can’t take off 2 defenders then absorb our only outlet NE and expect him to track back, get rid of the blackmail material AW has on you and move on too many passengers and not enough quality deliveries at set pieces. Act now or I feel that Rooney destroying our midfield wed and an away day at Elland road will be too much for even your luck bucket Mr J.

Two managers appointed to their respective clubs around the same time as Johnson, and have had the same number of transfer windows :

Chris Wilder - Sheff Utd - Signed 59 players. 
Nigel Clough - Burton - Signed 62 players. 

Signing 50 players over 4 years is nothing unusual. 

7 hours ago, Dredd said:

Wilders got two promotions out of his 59 players. 

And that’s the point. We may have improved slowly over time, but we appear to have hit a wall over the last couple of seasons, despite a near complete change of playing personnel in the past 2 years.

Do we look any more likely as playoff candidates than we did then? In a word “No” but we have sold a number of players for a decent profit. That almost seems more important than promotion, especially when you remember how many players we have out on loan, few if any of which will get anywhere near the first team as we continue to buy or loan in players (is Berkovic really an improvement on Taylor Moore?)

Preston by contrast have had similar fortunes to us but still have Pearson, Barkhuizen and Johnson in midfield, so the reality is that not every “smaller” club in this division has to keep churning through players, but can instead keep their best ones.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Try comparing the players signed by Blackburn and ours Harry in that period

Age / fees etc

No comparison and a lazy one tbh

Nice you've done the research. Post the age and fee comparison between Blackburn and us for last 4 years please.

All of the above only confirms that if we keep LJ then championship football will be watched at the gate next season. There have been so many posts in regards to  comparisons to other clubs on how many they have in their squad, what their squad cost etc, at the end of the day LJ has the best players available too him to succeed but I do not think he has the savvy to put the best he has available on the pitch. Some of the players we have now are like gold and if they had the chance would bring success but LJ only seems to think his way and not the way to bring out the gold we have at the club.

Just pointing out that LJ is £29m in profit on his transfer dealings..........

Plus, how many of those he’s signed were for development and how many first team ready?

Just asking.................:cool2:

It’s an integral part of SLs policy of developing players and moving them on as a part of his ‘sustainability’.

Like him or hate LJ can we all agree that this season he is being judged on his ability to get us into the playoffs. No excuses, no we have finished 1 point better than last year or one place higher.  Despite the terrible football at home,  I’m begrudgingly happy to get behind him and the team as long as come May, if we haven’t made the playoffs we all accept (even if begrudgingly) it’s time for change,  time to freshen things up with new ideas and direction.

19 minutes ago, Prinny said:

You called someones research out as being lazy, then won't post the info.

Keep digging.

I said the comparison was a lazy one

As a newbie you repeatedly appear to demand people do your research and appear to try and look intellectual in your postings but come across as ........weird

Have a nice day 

Tip #2.  Rather than starting threads instructing LJ in lessons he needs to learn from you , Try educating yourself with a little research 

So what do people want? Us to not sign players?

I don't get what the problem is.

Lansdown admitted they made some mistakes in their recruitment a few years back, which I am sure we can accept if they were to put that right.

Let's look at the last 4 windows

Maenpaa, Marinovic, Bentley, Gilmartin, Hunt, Pereira (loan), Dasilva (loan), Dasilva (perm), Rowe, Kalas (loan), Kalas (perm) Webster, Williams, Benkovic (loan)

Nagy, Massengo, Henriksen (loan), Watkins, Palmer (loan), Palmer (perm), Szmodics, Adelakun, 

Weimann, Afobe (loan), Wells, Eisa, Rodri.

Not many of those were bad signings. Marinovic and Rodri were just brought in as cover, and i'd say the one mistake there was making them anything but cover by starting them. Gilmartin is emergency cover, and I doubt will ever play. That's probably what Marinovic should have been, but he did only play the one game anyway.

Adelkuan might turn out to be a decent signing if he keeps doing well at Rotherham. Eisa we made a profit on. Good business at least. So 4 very good windows since start of 18/19 season imo.

In the windows before this under Johnson the signings were not all quite so good. But he took over a squad that was very poor. Needed improving badly.

I would say Steele, Pisano, Wright, Baker, Moore, Magnússon, Brownhill, Walsh, Cotterill (loan), O'Dowda, Eliasson, Paterson, Abraham (loan), Taylor, Diedhiou were a mixture of good to excellent signings. Impressive list that, actually.

Unfortunate signings were O'Neil and Djuric. Both injured too much but would have been good ones for where we were at the time - a lower championship side looking to progress up the league. Both certainly contributed though so not all bad.

Bad signings overall:

Marinovic, Giefer (loan), Lucic, Matthews (loan), Ekstrand, Hegeler, Kent (loan), Leko (loan), Tomlin, Diony (loan), Engvall, Woodrow (loan), Rodri

Not a lot of harm done with some of those bad ones. And also some of the bad ones made sense at the time and just did not work out. Like Tomlin and Matthews who were both excellent when they came in on loan the previous season under Pemberton who LJ then managed when appointed in February.

Then there are the youth signings which are cheap, and a bit more of a lottery. Some decent ones there it seems like Bakinson and J smith, and maybe some not so good ones which will always happen. They're young, they have potential. But it doesn't mean they will definitely fulfil it.

Overall it looks very good to me! We were making more mistakes in our recruitment in LJ's first couple of windows, but even then we made some really good signings.

Apologies if any of that is inaccurate! I think I have got it right.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Plus, how many of those he’s signed were for development and how many first team ready?

It’s an integral part of SLs policy of developing players and moving them on as a part of his ‘sustainability’.

I see this is your favourite post to repeat at the present time

Where are you sourcing these figures ?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I said the comparison was a lazy one

As a newbie you repeatedly appear to demand people do your research and appear to try and look intellectual in your postings but come across as ........weird

Have a nice day 

Tip #2.  Rather than starting threads instructing LJ in lessons he needs to learn from you , Try educating yourself with a little research 

Please tell me and all of us why you think it's a lazy comparison :)

Trying to be condescending based on account age, is really weird. If you want to argue a point on an old thread please bring it up on that thread. Posting about it on this thread is very odd. Going through my profile and old posts just to try to justify why you didn't do any research on this thread, yet calling a comparison lazy is, again, kinda odd and embarrassing.

The only thing i learned from your post was that you don't actually do the research to make a post. What I've learned since then is that instead of just saying, "yeah I don't know what I'm talking about" you go to weird lengths trying to save face.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Same place you are.. :laugh:

Sorry chaps, my original point was aimed at what he does with the players at his disposal not the actual quantity.

4-5M£ player and probably one of our top earners not even in the squad again, who was signed permanently after spending a loan spell mostly on the bench???

Our “missing link” in midfield not starting against a much stronger and physical team and when we do change it finally bring on another player who always disappears during matches when we are trying to get back from 1-2.

A 17 goal championship striker on the bench when AW seems undroppable, without any idea how to give him service (see first point)

Our defence and midfield need to pass sideways/back (remind you of anyone?) 10 times before smashing in a long ball up to poor old Dave who by that time has at least 2 blokes at least his size all over him

Our main attacking outlet playing some kind of wingback role when we decided to take the left and right backs off taking off one of our most consistent players of in JD

So drawing comparisons to Sheffield United is a complete waist of time as their manager seems able to get the best out of his players.

Rooney Wednesday will have a field day in the middle of that park then Elland road Saturday, interesting week ahead....

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Please tell me and all of us why you think it's a lazy comparison :)

Trying to be condescending based on account age, is really weird. If you want to argue a point on an old thread please bring it up on that thread. Posting about it on this thread is very odd. Going through my profile and old posts just to try to justify why you didn't do any research on this thread, yet calling a comparison lazy is, again, kinda odd and embarrassing.

The only thing i learned from your post was that you don't actually do the research to make a post. What I've learned since then is that instead of just saying, "yeah I don't know what I'm talking about" you go to weird lengths trying to save face.

Same place you are.. :laugh:

I have a feeling you are one to avoid but before I leave you to your strange postings I’ll point out the irony is I absolutely do my research 

So when you try and look a smart arse by posting ‘Same place as you (laugh)’ , the irony is , I’ve certainly done my research hence why I asked to clarify with the poster where he sourced his figures.........ironic eh

Which all in all makes you look a bit of.....a.......Plum

Have a nice day ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I have a feeling you are one to avoid but before I leave you to your strange postings I’ll point out the irony is I absolutely do my research 

So when you try and look a smart arse by posting ‘Same place as you (laugh)’ , the irony is , I’ve certainly done my research hence why I asked to clarify with the poster where he sourced his figures.........ironic eh

Which all in all makes you look a bit of.....a.......Plum

Have a nice day ?

I mean only one of us is going through the others profile to attempt to put down the other. I'm glad you're doing it publicly. It's a good look for you.

I'm just asking you to prove your point by posting the research you've done. 

Still waiting. Keep digging. Still waiting.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

According to Transfermarkt he’s made a profit of around £21 mill since he came to us, obviously nearly all of the fees nowadays are undisclosed so that fully depends on what fees they believe we got for players and how much they believe we spent on players. You also need to take in to that wages, signing on fees and agent fees as well but as a base sum that is pretty impressive reading I’d say. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/alletransfers/verein/698 There’s the link if you want to look through yourself

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Although the patronising tone is not needed this is spot on.

The model is very much to buy potential and trade profits whilst hopefully improving the first team squad.

There has not been much hit and hope in the signings where there may have been at some other high player turnover clubs.

13 minutes ago, La Plage said:

Sorry chaps, my original point was aimed at what he does with the players at his disposal not the actual quantity.

4-5M£ player and probably one of our top earners not even in the squad again, who was signed permanently after spending a loan spell mostly on the bench???

Our “missing link” in midfield not starting against a much stronger and physical team and when we do change it finally bring on another player who always disappears during matches when we are trying to get back from 1-2.

A 17 goal championship striker on the bench when AW seems undroppable, without any idea how to give him service (see first point)

Our defence and midfield need to pass sideways/back (remind you of anyone?) 10 times before smashing in a long ball up to poor old Dave who by that time has at least 2 blokes at least his size all over him

Our main attacking outlet playing some kind of wingback role when we decided to take the left and right backs off taking off one of our most consistent players of in JD

So drawing comparisons to Sheffield United is a complete waist of time as their manager seems able to get the best out of his players.

Rooney Wednesday will have a field day in the middle of that park then Elland road Saturday, interesting week ahead....

I think the last game was poor. Our midfield seemed strangely too attacking, not close enough to Korey. And the really weird thing was we were 1-0 up, so no need to be playing like we were. I think we maybe thought we could go on and destroy them. Not respecting their quality enough maybe.

As for Palmer, I think the mistake we made was trusting in Afobe to stay fit. Had he stayed fit then no doubt we would have seen plenty of Palmer this season.

We should have maybe have invested in another Afobe type, or like Wells type in the summer.

But then even with Diedhiuou up top, not Palmer's type of striker to feed, Palmer has to still do more than he has when given the opportunities.

One problem I had with the Palmer signing is that he hasn't really shown much progression from when he was probably about 19-20 at Huddersfield. 

If he has not improved much at all in that time, then he might not ever get much better. When signing a 22 year old, it's not just how good the player is now, it's how good they can become. But if he isn't showing any progression in his game, then I am worried he won't ever improve.

But to be fair he was excellent in some of those early games. And even the odd game like Brentford away when we had Semenyo up top with Weimann. Palmer may have missed a sitter, but he really showed his quality.

4 million is a lot. But like Charlton game when he came on and changed the game, he CAN clearly do things not many can at this level. When he is confident and in the right set up he is class at this level.

The Wells signing is I believe to partly get Palmer back in the side. I didn't mind him not playing Wells last game as I thought we have won 4 in a row. It was always a difficult decision for LJ. 

I expect to see some changes for Derby game.

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

According to Transfermarkt he’s made a profit of around £21 mill since he came to us, obviously nearly all of the fees nowadays are undisclosed so that fully depends on what fees they believe we got for players and how much they believe we spent on players. You also need to take in to that wages, signing on fees and agent fees as well but as a base sum that is pretty impressive reading I’d say. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/alletransfers/verein/698 There’s the link if you want to look through yourself

That's quite incredible. What a job he's done there.

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I already had - but thanks anyway , and before I posted , but thanks anyway

FWIW Even if he maintained those profit levels (Remember that he inherited a lot of those players now sold to enhance those figures) £5 million a year won’t be sustaining us any time soon and Mr L will need to keep digging deep

People also conveniently forget the signing on fees, agents fees, relocation fees, family fees and, loan fees we’ve spent 

Archived