IGNORED

HIGH PRESS GAME.

marmite

On 09/02/2020 at 12:45, Nibor said:

I'd very much like to see it and I think with our squad depth now we should have been able to cope with it.

I think the team are being over coached / over prepared for the opposition, what we need is less of that and more emphasis on our own game and confidence.  We seem confused and reactive.

When we have the ball at home there's no movement, nobody wants to carry it and nobody wants to receive it.  You see central midfielders taking the ball off centre halves, turning and having no options... everything is static and only when we're behind with nothing to lose does someone like Williams start carrying it out of defence.  It's confidence.

Why not just hit it long towards Fammy & Wells and press up and try and pick up the second ball because we don't have a clue as to building attacks from the back neither do we have the creativity in our midfield

It worked for Warnock so no reason why it wont work for LJ

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but I was talking about when I was eight years old - a long, long time ago …

I turned that into the present (a aside). Its debatable if there is any benefit in asking eight year olds to press the ball. The FA do not think so. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I turned that into the present (a aside). Its debatable if there is any benefit in asking eight year olds to press the ball. The FA do not think so. 

Fair enough, but when I was eight we were told to give the opposition no time on the ball and get right in their faces etc - and the team I played for went four seasons undefeated as a result ...

On 09/02/2020 at 12:51, Three Lions said:

Takes time work and the right players. City don't have that. 

Or the correct manager to bring in the right players to apply it hence why we play on the break home and away with no plan B. Works against lesser teams but with a better team and manager they carve us open. Nothing will change tommorow formation wise and Derby know that and will play clean into their hands and certainly Leeds & WBA. 

52 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, but when I was eight we were told to give the opposition no time on the ball and get right in their faces etc - and the team I played for went four seasons undefeated as a result ...

When I was a kid I was taught to kick the winger as soon as he got the ball and he would go quiet and I would have a easy game. ? it did seem to work, wouldn't last five minutes these days(probably wouldn't get close enough to kick him).

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And now at eight the football is non competitive and there is a retreat line to promote footballing skill. This will help to create better skilled footballers for the competitive game that comes later.

But I don't see kids football of any era being a even parallel to pressing in the adults game as a measure of how difficult or easy it is. 

On 09/02/2020 at 12:40, marmite said:

Anyone else like to see us resort to this style again especially at home? I seem to recall LJ saying we couldn't sustain it for a whole season after we fell away in January a couple of seasons back. We only have 15 games left now and 7/8 at home. I can't fathom out our tactics at home at the mo but whatever they are, they aren't working. Might be worth trying although the present squad might not suit the high press game 

I would. We have a big enough squad to deliver it. 

Archived