IGNORED

OTIB trolls

Judda

2 minutes ago, Judda said:

I've noticed a massive increase in troll like behaviour on otib recently.  It doesn't offend me as nothing really does but just wondering why. Boredom? Marmite Lee? Or just some long term simmering finally over boiling?

Trolling is a symptom of our society , it is all over ‘ social ‘ media.

Frustrated individuals with no lives  of their own just content to vent their spleen , mostly anonymously, to make themselves feel better .

They wouldn’t dare do it face to face . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Frustrated individuals with no lives  of their own just content to vent their spleen , mostly anonymously, to make themselves feel better .

Yes, I'm well aware of that... but why the sudden increase on here? Don't get me wrong, I know there's always been a bit but it's through the roof at the moment.... 

It’s very frustrating. It all goes completely unchecked, as well as people throwing personal insults all over the place, deliberate and persistent trolling just ignored and allowed to carry on, and a massive decline in the overall level of discussion in the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s no even the venters but the saddos who have nothing interesting to post but just troll, / WUM  that are the real disease

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Yup. It's easy to be Billy big balls hiding behind a screen innit!

Not really any different to any other forum, it all got a little fractious in final days of the window and god help any user who happened on a bit of news before it was announced or seen by the entitled ones and dared to share it, with or without screenshots!

Some of us know a lot about football and lots of us love football but know little of what goes on off the pitch - and there are those that think they are the only fans that know everything and it’s ok to challenge and troll the lesser beings!

If you are one of the lesser beings, don’t bother biting back - you just get banned! trolls hiding behind keyboards reign!

Poor impulse control, a lack of perspective and a belief that life is, or should be black and white rather than shades of grey.

In public discourse in general people seem to be losing the ability to disagree with somebody while still showing them respect.

When some people don't get what they expect they lash out in anger. Social media just allows them a platform and amplifies the noise.

Perhaps counting to 10 and remembering that it is only football would help?

I don't really see many troll comments on here to be honest.

Most are decent people who just want to put their point across.

If people get angry by someones opinion then that does not mean the opinion was put on here to get an angry reaction.

I can't ever remember getting remotely angry at anyone on here. It's just words on a screen.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't really see many troll comments on here to be honest.

Most are decent people who just want to put their point across.

If people get angry by someones opinion then that does not mean the opinion was put on here to get an angry reaction.

I can't ever remember getting remotely angry at anyone on here. It's just words on a screen.

Yep.

I don't see much of it these days.

It was a lot worse if you go back a bit ?eight years and people were being regularly banned.

Myabe that served to weed out the angry mob and the reactions that they provoked making the board seem a nastier place.

I can offhand only think of two; one who is well know to everybody and one who I have had on ignore long term though I still notice him posting.

Out of all the members here that's practically non-existent.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yep.

It was a lot worse if you go back a bit ?eight years and people were being regularly banned.

Myabe that served to weed out the angry mob and the reactions that they provoked making the board seem a nastier place.

I can offhand only think of two; one who is well know to everybody and one who I have had on ignore long term though I still notice him posting.

The problem is there are many members or people who browse. But if you look through most threads there are always the same usernames popping up. Not sure if new visitors are put off by the clique that seems to be in place. I was a regular browser here for years without posting. Only recently started to join in here and there. 

Well.......I’ve been accused numerous times of being a troll.......:dunno:
So often in fact that I thought I’d own it but in reality I don’t purposely troll but can appreciate why some posters would think that I do.

I do challenge others posts but to me questioning other opinions is what forums are about.

6 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

The problem is there are many members or people who browse. But if you look through most threads there are always the same usernames popping up. Not sure if new visitors are put off by the clique that seems to be in place. I was a regular browser here for years without posting. Only recently started to join in here and there. 

I think there's too many active posters here for it to be plausibly accused of being cliquey.

I can't think of any in-jokes or people appearing to know each other personally and reflecting that in their postings and likes.

New visitors are probably put off by the sheer volume; as am I at times tbh.

Edit: I'm specifically talking about the main forum here.  I find the non-football chat incredibly cliquey and best avoided.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think there's too many active posters here for it to be plausibly accused of being cliquey.

I can't think of any in-jokes or people appearing to know each other personally and reflecting that in their postings and likes.

New visitors are probably put off by the sheer volume; as am I at times tbh.

Oh really i see it the complete opposite. Always see the same names popping up. Didn’t mean to make clique sound like a bad thing, probably a bad choice of words.

• Admin
1 minute ago, GTFABM said:

Oh really i see it the complete opposite. Always see the same names popping up. Didn’t mean to make clique sound like a bad thing, probably a bad choice of words.

I think clique is probably not the right description, there are undoubtedly some who know each other away from OTIB and there is probably some familiarity between long standing posters, who wouldn’t know each other if they were sat next to them - that’s the same in any group, move to a new area and it will take a while to be part of the social scene, be that pub or any other gathering.

Part of the problem is when someone is potentially trolling, is people replying and giving them some credence, attention seekers don’t like not being the centre of attention.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So often in fact that I thought I’d own it but in reality I don’t purposely troll but can appreciate why some posters would think that I do.

I do challenge others posts but to me questioning other opinions is what forums are about.

I agree - and I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bit, shall we say, contrary and mildly wind-up-ish as a consequence... :cool2:

What winds me up at the moment is posters attributing opinions to other groups of fans simply to dismiss them out of hand - a regular one being the assertion that anyone questioning LJ's position just hates the man, or more recently that alone wanting the club to push on having established a firm base in the Championship is 'entitled'.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I think clique is probably not the right description, there are undoubtedly some who know each other away from OTIB and there is probably some familiarity between long standing posters, who wouldn’t know each other if they were sat next to them - that’s the same in any group, move to a new area and it will take a while to be part of the social scene, be that pub or any other gathering.

Part of the problem is when someone is potentially trolling, is people replying and giving them some credence, attention seekers don’t like not being the centre of attention.

Yeah thats a much better way of trying to get across what i meant. I think if you are a long term visitor (browsing only), you would be put off by that. I know i was.

22 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yep.

Yep. I really don't get why posters get in arguments with such people. Just simply 'ignore'.

I don't necessarily prefer the posters that often agree with me. 

Some I have very different opinions to on many different topics, but they seem nice enough so no problem.

People that get angry with those that disagree and seem to hold a resentment don't seem to understand how a forum works.

1 hour ago, Judda said:

I've noticed a massive increase in troll like behaviour on otib recently.  It doesn't offend me as nothing really does but just wondering why. Boredom? Marmite Lee? Or just some long term simmering finally over boiling?

Attention seeking in a lot of cases. Wanting to be seen as ITK in other cases. 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But you are at least a happy troll. That’s something (even if self proclaimed). ???

Thanks for this topic Judda.

I had to Google to find out exactly what a Troll is I thought it meant something else in internet slang.

For those like me who would like clarification, this is what Wikipedia says...so if has to be true!

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Both the noun and the verb forms of "troll" are associated with Internet discourse. However, the word has also been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, the mass media have used "troll" to mean "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families".[4][5] In addition, depictions of trolling have been included in popular fictional works, such as the HBO television program The Newsroom, in which a main character encounters harassing persons online and tries to infiltrate their circles by posting negative sexual comments.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never seen you as a troll, a wind up merchant on occasions? Yes! But you do put across so good points, whether people agree with you or not, who cares, it’s a forum 

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Never seen you as a troll, a wind up merchant on occasions? Yes! But you do put across so good points, whether people agree with you or not, who cares, it’s a forum 

Exactly.  It's no different to a discussion in the pub after the game. We all see it differently. We all want our say. Some just shout louder than others and won't be swayed by the other point of view.  It's a forum for opinions and if you dont like the discussion, then don't join in.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I had this discussion some time back with a knob on here and was then described as a violent thug for suggesting a meet up. Nothing could be further from the truth. The keyboard warriors on here do make me laugh.

I thought things had got better recently but we’re back to the same people arguing again. 

Trolling, bullying, forum policing, call it what you want, they all fall in the same bracket and personal insults are flying around again from the usual suspects on several threads in the last few days, some people just can’t help themselves.

Very dull.

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I thought things had got better recently but we’re back to the same people arguing again. 

Trolling, bullying, forum policing, call it what you want, they all fall in the same bracket and personal insults are flying around again from the usual suspects on several threads in the last few days.

Very dull.

You Sir are a bad egg and a Wally !!

An unforseen problem with social media is that effectively it removes the filter between your brain and your mouth! Twitter is the worst for this. How can all these people imagine anyone cares a **** about their daily lives and habits, even worse their opinions on the most banal  subjects?

Back to otib! I'm never quite sure of the difference between people who post opinions for the hell of it and those that get drawn into arguments and go way over the top in their responses. Like television or radio, if you don't like it , switch it off!

Archived