IGNORED

OTIB trolls

Judda

It’s a sad symptom of society. The number of people on twitter in particular who are incapable of reasoned debate, without defaulting to personal insults towards people they’ve never met, is frankly depressing. Respectful disagreement appears beyond many people these days.

Even the thread I started on Friday where I was objective and neutral towards LJ attracted a couple of weirdly personal responses.

2 hours ago, Judda said:

Yes, I'm well aware of that... but why the sudden increase on here? Don't get me wrong, I know there's always been a bit but it's through the roof at the moment.... 

Probably just awakening from their winter hibernation...........after they emege from their caves, they medicate their scraped knuckles, have a poo. scratch their ass's..........and then, having no discernible intellect, they start trolling, as they need something to fill their sad empty exsistence's. until it's time to go back into the dark recess and sleep.  They are to be pitied,  as behind their mask of anonymity, they have little or no personality, and only seem to take solace from criticising and blaming everyone else,  except themselves.  Always found it best to just ignore them, as any attempt to respond or communicate with them tends to lead to confusion and abuse.  Sad really?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well.......I’ve been accused numerous times of being a troll.......:dunno:
So often in fact that I thought I’d own it but in reality I don’t purposely troll but can appreciate why some posters would think that I do.

I do challenge others posts but to me questioning other opinions is what forums are about.

That's fair enough actually.

I wouldn't put you down as a troll.

Quite often a WUM though. 

The best thing to do is not bite.

Trolls thrive on attention. It’s just words at the end of the day. Sometimes it’s just differences in opinion that leads to insults being thrown about.

Like any forum you also find fans of opposing teams pretending to be City fans and start stirring the pot.

I tend to look at the points score next to the posters name, and if it is low and their comments seem a bit OTT it indicates that they are possibly a WUM and I ignore it.

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

"Billy big balls" is one of the most annoying phrases that people say on here. Please don't use it again. Cheers 

Not a phrase I would usually use but probably perfect for summing up the sort who think they're really hard behind their screen but not so much face to face. 

22 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s no even the venters but the saddos who have nothing interesting to post but just troll, / WUM  that are the real disease

I enjoy a good debate and even difference of opinion but there will always be some who just look to wind up or insult people who they disagree with. 

It's normal to have a different view on things when it comes to football but when people are looking to insult or berate with little to no humour there isn't much point in going past the first few insults that they throw.

I think there are some good posts/posters on here who have interesting opinions, that's what I'm here for but we all like the odd vent, especially when there are very valid reasons to be frustrated.

22 hours ago, Judda said:

I've noticed a massive increase in troll like behaviour on otib recently.  It doesn't offend me as nothing really does but just wondering why. Boredom? Marmite Lee? Or just some long term simmering finally over boiling?

I don't think they're internet trolls in the classic sense of internet troll but more just socially inept and heroes behind a screen. As Major stated it's symptomatic of modern day society. I'm probably old enough to consider, "would I say that to that person's face" before I reply to some comments. I commented on it about a month ago, in that the level of rudeness on here has reached a new high.

As for a clique, there are one or two posters on here that seem to reference each other on a regular basis with "in" jokes that nobody else probably understands. It's not rare to see the same behaviour on WhatsApp groups where two people lose the concept of the word "group" and indulge in a one to one conversations that usually bores the shit out of the other members of the group. 

It helps pass time I guess. Couple of times I've entered debates on here where I didn't entirely believe the opinion I was pushing. Just doing it for the sake of a good debate. 

I've seen posters who push their opinion just to trigger some, not for a debate and eventually get personal. That's another form of trolling. That being said, I sometimes enjoy some good OTIB drama ?

39 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What I see is a number of posters being accused of being trolls when the accusers simply don't like or disagree with what they are saying.  For every (so called) troll, there seems to be a dozen snowflakes.

Totally agree.  Definitely lots of snowflakes too, sometimes you can't say anything without causing offence. Just thought it strange the new levels of angry personal insults I'd seen recently. Like I said earlier: Nothing really offends me just making an observation. 

Archived