Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Judda

OTIB trolls

The best thing to do is not bite.

Trolls thrive on attention. It’s just words at the end of the day. Sometimes it’s just differences in opinion that leads to insults being thrown about.

Like any forum you also find fans of opposing teams pretending to be City fans and start stirring the pot.

I tend to look at the points score next to the posters name, and if it is low and their comments seem a bit OTT it indicates that they are possibly a WUM and I ignore it.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

"Billy big balls" is one of the most annoying phrases that people say on here. Please don't use it again. Cheers 

Not a phrase I would usually use but probably perfect for summing up the sort who think they're really hard behind their screen but not so much face to face. 

Some posters don’t like it when their opinion is proved not to be a fact.

It’s almost like they still don’t believe the facts, and their opinion should be seen as being correct.....no matter what.

22 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s no even the venters but the saddos who have nothing interesting to post but just troll, / WUM  that are the real disease

I enjoy a good debate and even difference of opinion but there will always be some who just look to wind up or insult people who they disagree with. 

It's normal to have a different view on things when it comes to football but when people are looking to insult or berate with little to no humour there isn't much point in going past the first few insults that they throw.

I think there are some good posts/posters on here who have interesting opinions, that's what I'm here for but we all like the odd vent, especially when there are very valid reasons to be frustrated.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Judda said:

I've noticed a massive increase in troll like behaviour on otib recently.  It doesn't offend me as nothing really does but just wondering why. Boredom? Marmite Lee? Or just some long term simmering finally over boiling?

I don't think they're internet trolls in the classic sense of internet troll but more just socially inept and heroes behind a screen. As Major stated it's symptomatic of modern day society. I'm probably old enough to consider, "would I say that to that person's face" before I reply to some comments. I commented on it about a month ago, in that the level of rudeness on here has reached a new high.

As for a clique, there are one or two posters on here that seem to reference each other on a regular basis with "in" jokes that nobody else probably understands. It's not rare to see the same behaviour on WhatsApp groups where two people lose the concept of the word "group" and indulge in a one to one conversations that usually bores the shit out of the other members of the group. 

• Like 1

It helps pass time I guess. Couple of times I've entered debates on here where I didn't entirely believe the opinion I was pushing. Just doing it for the sake of a good debate. 

I've seen posters who push their opinion just to trigger some, not for a debate and eventually get personal. That's another form of trolling. That being said, I sometimes enjoy some good OTIB drama 😉

Edited by Sturny
  • Haha 1

What I see is a number of posters being accused of being trolls when the accusers simply don't like or disagree with what they are saying.  For every (so called) troll, there seems to be a dozen snowflakes.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

What I see is a number of posters being accused of being trolls when the accusers simply don't like or disagree with what they are saying.  For every (so called) troll, there seems to be a dozen snowflakes.

Totally agree.  Definitely lots of snowflakes too, sometimes you can't say anything without causing offence. Just thought it strange the new levels of angry personal insults I'd seen recently. Like I said earlier: Nothing really offends me just making an observation. 

Edited by Judda
Spelling
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

God yes!...It often goes like this....Snowflake poster makes statement in post....other poster disagrees....snowflake poster defends his right to freedom of speech....other poster says yes you have the right to say what you like, however I have the right to respond if I disagree that is how freedom of speech works. Cue sulking!

Or how about this...Poster makes statement, often defending or criticizing LJ, snowflake poster attacks said poster often with abuse, such as whopper or knob etc, thread descends into name calling for about 40 posts while various snowflakes desperately try to be the one with the last word...

Or my personal fave...Poster gets abusive or makes unsubstantiated statements, other poster/s take the piss out of original poster who gets angry....thread descends into piss taking of someone who thoroughly deserves it!

Plus various other variations on a theme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

God yes!...It often goes like this....Snowflake poster makes statement in post....other poster disagrees....snowflake poster defends his right to freedom of speech....other poster says yes you have the right to say what you like, however I have the right to respond if I disagree that is how freedom of speech works. Cue sulking!

Or how about this...Poster makes statement, often defending or criticizing LJ, snowflake poster attacks said poster often with abuse, such as whopper or knob etc, thread descends into name calling for about 40 posts while various snowflakes desperately try to be the one with the last word...

Or my personal fave...Poster gets abusive or makes unsubstantiated statements, other poster/s take the piss out of original poster who gets angry....thread descends into piss taking of someone who thoroughly deserves it!

Plus various other variations on a theme.

Nailed it!

15 minutes ago, Judda said:

Nailed it!

Or there is also the mods move thread (read hide) to non football forum so as not to upset the sensitive. 

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Or there is also the mods move thread (read hide) to non football forum so as not to upset the sensitive. 

Haha yeah. Noticed it magically disappeared!

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2020 at 16:28, Robbored said:

Well.......I’ve been accused numerous times of being a troll.......:dunno:
I do challenge others posts but to me questioning other opinions is what forums are about.

I don't consider you a troll; I have certainly never accused you of same.

I believe you bullshit (frequently), e.g. your constant complaints about tannoy announcements in the Dolman (and then failing to meet the man who wanted to discuss the problem with you as you were still in the bar 🤨); claiming not to care about past players; not believing anything until it is on the official site;   and, worst of all,  finding yourself 'accidentally' on the Transfer Forum Thread 😲.

You often post like a complete arsehole, but you are not alone in this, and I daresay I have been guilty of same on occasions.

Nevertheless, if I thought you were completely tiresome, as some claim, I would have blocked you - which I obviously haven't. 

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I believe you bullshit (frequently), e.g. your constant complaints about tannoy announcements in the Dolman (and then failing to meet the man who wanted to discuss the problem with you as you were still in the bar 🤨); claiming not to care about past players; not believing anything until it is on the official site;   and, worst of all,  finding yourself 'accidentally' on the Transfer Forum Thread 😲.

You often post like a complete arsehole, but you are not alone in this, and I daresay I have been guilty of same on occasions.

Nevertheless, if I thought you were completely tiresome, as some claim, I would have blocked you - which I obviously haven't. 

Why.........thanks Phil......that’s the nicest set of compliments I’ve received on here..............:sad26:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why.........thanks Phil......that’s the nicest set of compliments I’ve received on here..............:sad26:

I'm sensing a bromance in its infancy 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I'm sensing a bromance in its infancy 

I already have one wedding to attend in Nailsea in May. Make yours around 30th and I can make it to both and still go to Kingdonbury festival.

The main football chat is fine I reckon. All pretty balanced. Johnson is a bit of a marmite manager so that makes for some entertaining spats. Non football chat is mostly ok, lots of tounge in cheek banter.

The politics sub forum however! Now that's a strange cliquey place. Whenever I delve in there a classic Ian Dury tune springs to mind. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 16:53, PHILINFRANCE said:

If anything the people who call @Robbored out all the time are the tiresome ones for me.

On numerous occasions Robbored has made very valid points only to be shut down as a 'troll' simply because they dont agree and dont have a sufficient argument.

It's something that lessens my enjoyment on here as it's usually the same posters complaining, it's almost like they enjoy it.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bissellredhead said:

If anything the people who call @Robbored out all the time are the tiresome ones for me.

On numerous occasions Robbored has made very valid points only to be shut down as a 'troll' simply because they dont agree and dont have a sufficient argument.

It's something that lessens my enjoyment on here as it's usually the same posters complaining, it's almost like they enjoy it.

Hope Robbo has treated you today Mrs Robbered 🥰

• Haha 1