IGNORED

Rugby - six nations

Midred

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I'm sure they said on commentary at the time that you're allowed to do it if you're diving for the line.

Nigel Owens has said he would have given a Penalty, along the lines that the first movement was jumping the tackle. I can’t say I’m a big enough rugby fan to know the laws around it, however my first instinct was it’s a jump 

It's a difficult one. I've looked at the laws, and I can't see anything that specifically refers to jumping to avoid a tackle. I'm not saying that it isn't there, but I certainly can't see it.

https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugby/document/2021/02/11/863340f3-2a8a-4cdd-bad2-c6b659add069/World-Rugby-Laws-2021-EN-v2.pdf

There's Law 9.11 - 'Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.' This seems to be the law that some are citing for the try to be disallowed. For me, jumping to avoid a tackle is obviously dangerous in principle, not just because of the potential contact with the tackler, but also the risk of the carrier landing on their head or neck. That said, I think it's something that World Rugby will need to address and include in the law book.

Owens has tweeted that it was a directive given from World Rugby to all refs in advance of the 2017 season. I'm absolutely not saying that he's making that up, why would he? BUT it hasn't been published as far as I can see. That's a problem. Apart from anything else, it's not good for the game. Loads of casual viewers watch the Six Nations and it does nothing for rugby union's image when the laws are anything but clear on contentious issues like this.

Luckily it didn't happen in a tight game and nobody was hurt, but it definitely needs to be clarified for me. 

To lose 16 unanswered points in the final 20 mins, you don't deserve to win a test match. Still averaging 10+ penalties a game, the discipline has been shocking for a number of years now. Martin Johnson had it right, if you're going to compete and affect the game, affect it for the right reasons. Lack of on pitch leadership. And quite how 5 Saracens players get picked when they're not even playing, baffling.

On 27/02/2021 at 21:53, BanburyRed said:

To lose 16 unanswered points in the final 20 mins, you don't deserve to win a test match. Still averaging 10+ penalties a game, the discipline has been shocking for a number of years now. Martin Johnson had it right, if you're going to compete and affect the game, affect it for the right reasons. Lack of on pitch leadership. And quite how 5 Saracens players get picked when they're not even playing, baffling.

Matt Dawson on the BBC website comments about the lack of leadership in the team. He also mentions the Alun Wyn Jones "stare" which apparently the Welsh players are terrified of!

45 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Brilliant by England, such intensity to match the French, shame it wasn't part of the gameplan against Scotland and Wales. Much better discipline, hugely improved.

Yes but the talent in the French team is ridiculous. Is there a better player in the world now than Antoine Dupont? What a fantastic player. Best game of the 6N

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Yes but the talent in the French team is ridiculous. Is there a better player in the world now than Antoine Dupont? What a fantastic player. Best game of the 6N

They might be a team packed full of talent but in that 2nd half they didn't threaten the England line with ball in hand once. They didn't do enough, you could see that from the disappointment of the face of the coach, but it's testament to England's defence and willingness to front up and match the French stride for stride, pass for pass. Agreed, it was a cracking game.

35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If it is time for a change it needs to be done this summer. Two years to the World Cup which gives a new man enough time to implement his ideas.

I think it is time. Freshen things up

EJ has done a good job but become lazy using the same group of players. 

Archived