IGNORED

The 22 point Liverpool lead

reddogkev

I know a lot of people don't care for Liverpool or their recent level of success, but I'm not in that boat.  Neither a fan or a hater, just amazed by their performance level over the last 2 years.

Liverpool respect aside, the 22 point gap they have accumulated is insane and should be impossible in the Premier League.

How on earth has this happened?  Clearly the chasing pack and a poor Man City have been unable to live with the league leader's unbelievable pace, but still, has this ever happened before?

By how many points will they win the league?  It could even be plus 30 come the end.

Surely has to be the most successful performance from any English team in the top tier.

Yeah it is remarkable but alot of the big teams are in transition, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham aren't what they were. Man City have an aging team which will need replacing this year especially defenders. Probably be a couple of years before most of those teams are anything like their former glory 

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I know a lot of people don't care for Liverpool or their recent level of success, but I'm not in that boat.  Neither a fan or a hater, just amazed by their performance level over the last 2 years.

Liverpool respect aside, the 22 point gap they have accumulated is insane and should be impossible in the Premier League.

How on earth has this happened?  Clearly the chasing pack and a poor Man City have been unable to live with the league leader's unbelievable pace, but still, has this ever happened before?

By how many points will they win the league?  It could even be plus 30 come the end.

Surely has to be the most successful performance from any English team in the top tier.

You say a "poor Man City" but they're still averaging over 2 points per game. That's only poor by their own insanely high standards.

I think the credit must go to Liverpool. To win 24 put of 25 games is impossible. Yet they've done it.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

You say a "poor Man City" but they're still averaging over 2 points per game. That's only poor by their own insanely high standards.

I think the credit must go to Liverpool. To win 24 put of 25 games is impossible. Yet they've done it.

They are just lucky city arent premier league otherwise we would destroy them.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

image.png.ebadb6ac9c592c8209332e91f7555483.png

Not to be confused with:-

image.png.d5026efecca0ee5874a4f44eecf45e4a.png

What makes it even more impressive is that Liverpool have done this without all that much real strength in depth. If you take Virgil and/or one or two of the famous front three out of the side, they lose a huge amount in terms of their effectiveness. In this sense, they've been pretty lucky with injuries. Hats off to them, mind. 

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

They are just lucky city arent premier league otherwise we would destroy them.

I like your argument.

They "struggled against Shrewsbury" so therefore had we not deliberately "decided to concentrate on the league" in the round before, we would obviously have beaten them...   ?

54 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Good for them. Makes for an incredibly boring league and title race though.

I’ll stick to Serie A

I'm a Napoli follower (step mother is from Napoli, been watching them since I was 13) so this season is a bit of a write off but Serie A has been the worst league for so long, this season is the first time in a very long time that Juve may not actually win it and I really hope it happens because they've bought that league for so long, I'd really like to see Inter beat them to it.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm a Napoli follower (step mother is from Napoli, been watching them since I was 13) so this season is a bit of a write off but Serie A has been the worst league for so long, this season is the first time in a very long time that Juve may not actually win it and I really hope it happens because they've bought that league for so long, I'd really like to see Inter beat them to it.

Don’t know about worse League tbh. With respect, I think you’re wrong. There’s been 150 more goals in Serie A than Premier League, with less games played. I’d prefer Lazio won it. 

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Don’t know about worse League tbh. With respect, I think you’re wrong. There’s been 150 more goals in Serie A than Premier League, with less games played. I’d prefer Lazio won it. 

Yeah but that's going on the premise that good football is only about scoring, I love defending and the art of it, the Premier Leagues defending is far superior to Serie A's which is a shame because growing up I used to watch some of the best defenders in the World play in Serie A.

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah but that's going on the premise that good football is only about scoring, I love defending and the art of it, the Premier Leagues defending is far superior to Serie A's which is a shame because growing up I used to watch some of the best defenders in the World play in Serie A.

True. I just meant that it’s a lot more entertaining than some would have you believe. Entertainment value is what I would class as a good league

52 minutes ago, Spike said:

Or Lazio. In with a real chance.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I like your argument.

They "struggled against Shrewsbury" so therefore had we not deliberately "decided to concentrate on the league" in the round before, we would obviously have beaten them...   ?

Yeah right on, they would have had no answer to a lee johnson inspired rocking ashton gate. Shrewsbury just got lucky cause we werent trying against them

Personally don't like Liverpool, but the way they play under Klopp is brilliant to watch. He is a truly world class coach, and is also extremely likeable at the same time.

You can't take anything away from them currently, and the lead they have is phenomenal - to finish ahead of 2nd place by that distance is one thing, but to be ahead at this point in the season by this margin is very surprising. If they don't win the league, they'll never hear the end of it (much like if/when they win, the rest of the country won't hear the end of it).

As mentioned above, there are a number of teams in a transition period, so in some respect they've capitalized on that, and just run away from everyone. I think that when Sheffield United can trouble top 6, that just backs up the opinion that so many teams are "transitioning". That's not to take anything away from Sheffield United, who have had a brilliant season so far, Wilder has done wonders there.

Next season I think it will be a much closer race, with a few more teams involved at the top. Man City need to replace a few players, Arsenal seem to be a bit more settled now (although finances always seem to be mentioned there when it comes to signing players). Chelsea are going in the right direction under Lampard with the youth, and with a few quality additions they could be one to watch. Tottenham always seem to be a few players short, and Man Utd seem to take 1 step forward and 2 back. Their recruitment could depend on who is in charge at the end of the season.

Liverpool you would presume will be back up there, and you also have to presume that if they can add a few more cups to the upcoming league title, then they become an even more attractive option to bigger named players.

It's certainly going to be an interesting season or two in the Premiership. You'd also hope that we could do a Sheffield United if we did get promoted, but that's probably less likely to happen.....

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I also really enjoy their style of football too. They're quite a direct side in many ways, but prove that direct football isn't outdated or 'wrong' - just has to be implemented correctly. Direct attacking football is probably the style I find most exciting as a viewer.

I agree entirely, when I watch as a neutral fan/viewer.

I recall the Stan Collymore 4-3 Liverpool vs Newcastle match back in the mid-1990s as being one of the most exciting matches, but I also recall a mid-1970s match between Manchester City and Manchester United as being a wonderful example of the 'Direct Attacking Football' to which you refer.

This was back in the days when Manchester City were the 'poorer', rather than 'noisier', neighbours, and possessed an attacking line up boasting Colin Bell, who, sadly, suffered a career-changing injury early in the match; Asa Hartford, Denis Tueart and 'our own' Joe Royle.

But the player who stuck out for me was a young Peter Barnes, who, still a teenager, produced a fantastic, fearless display of direct, attacking wing play.  

Archived