IGNORED

A properly coached football team

maxjak

What a delight it was to see a properly coached football team, with a well defined pattern of tactics, and an identity, and who are Greater than the sum of their parts.  I am talking about Sheffield United, and their game against Bournemouth yesterday.  It's incredible that they recruited Chris Wilder from litlle old Northampton Town in 2016, and 4 years later they are storming the Prem with their well drilled side, with each player seemingly knowing their roles, and playing together as a team.       Chris Wilder appears to be a brilliant tactician, who has taken his team from more or less where we are at the presnt time, I think its quite an achievement, I guess Klopp will win manager of the year, but Wilder has to be a close second.       Sheffield United have far less resources than Liverpool, and no star players, but it goes to show what can be achieved with the right manager and motivated players.    Tactics and a Game Plan?  Two things that were sadly lacking at Ashton Gate on Friday night?

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

**** me, what's got into you - we were clueless on Friday and not for the first time.

Easy, Tiger! Easy.

Having said that, I feel your exasperation. What is it with our club, and picking/spotting managers/head coaches?

When have we ever plucked one that went on to be any good anywhere else? When did we ever have a "Wilder"?

Even Alan Dicks, what did he do after us?

Or is it managing us that does for all these manager/coaches?

21 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Easy, Tiger! Easy.

Having said that, I feel your exasperation. What is it with our club, and picking/spotting managers/head coaches?

When have we ever plucked one that went on to be any good anywhere else? When did we ever have a "Wilder"?

Good point.

Roy  Hodgson , then ...

58 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point.

Roy  Hodgson , then ...

Crazy, isn't it - at the point we were in our biggest mess, we appointed a manager who had taken a team to a European Cup final, and followed him with one who would go on to take a team to a European final (and manage internationally at world cups, inter milan, etc).

Before or since 1980-82, it has been rather different.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

**** me, what's got into you - we were clueless on Friday and not for the first time.

I just don’t see the point of this thread. 
Yes, Sheff Utd are clearly a well-coached team. As are Liverpool. 
Every other fanbase in the country will look at them and think “why can’t we do that”. 

Yes, we’re very dull at the moment. Yes, there’s lots to improve upon. 
But we are not the only team who would currently be thinking “why can’t we do a Sheff Utd”. 

It’s just YET ANOTHER nonsense post, designed to have a pop at LJ. 

I’m not 100% behind LJ, believe me. I’m as peed off as many about our performances. 
But flip me, every other thread on here is another take on how we can slag off LJ. 

Yes, Sheff Utd are a well coached team. *******, bully for them. 
About 85 other clubs fans will also be thinking the same. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I just don’t see the point of this thread. 
Yes, Sheff Utd are clearly a well-coached team. As are Liverpool. 
Every other fanbase in the country will look at them and think “why can’t we do that”. 

Yes, we’re very dull at the moment. Yes, there’s lots to improve upon. 
But we are not the only team who would currently be thinking “why can’t we do a Sheff Utd”. 

It’s just YET ANOTHER nonsense post, designed to have a pop at LJ. 

I’m not 100% behind LJ, believe me. I’m as peed off as many about our performances. 
But flip me, every other thread on here is another take on how we can slag off LJ. 

Yes, Sheff Utd are a well coached team. *******, bully for them. 
About 85 other clubs fans will also be thinking the same. 

Thing is mate we have to ask why it has been so difficult for Bristol City to achieve anything of note since the time of Alan Dicks. We seem to have everything going for us.

Therefore one looks at the reasons. The principle reason in my view is we have never been a true footballing city and so have never been able to attract staff of the highest quality at every level of the Club.

The situation with our owner/chairman and his choice of mediocre managers is another regrettable stage in the cycle of our mediocre football history. This is more than a concern, it's a torment to those of us who will die being City fans not having seen enough success and not seeing our Club where we believe it should be.

It's more than possible for SL to break out of this cycle but at the moment I don't see him changing enough to do that.

Jeez.  4 years ago we all wanted to be an astablished  championship club in and around the playoffs, now we are here people are Still not happy.   football isn’t that bad, we arnt Man City .. granted but it could be a lot worse.  We just need to learn to break teams down at AG which is tough when teams like brum defend as deep as they did.   
enjoy the ride 

No doubt the fare served up at AG this season has been very uninspired and dreary to watch - absolutely no entertainment value at all. It has to be a Johnson trait.

Problem is tho is that LJ seems to think that City are playing good stuff at AG and can’t see the need to liven up the style of play,......................:dunno:

That said, he must see that the results at home have been disappointing particularly this season. I’m not sure he’ll do anything about it tho.

57 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate we have to ask why it has been so difficult for Bristol City to achieve anything of note since the time of Alan Dicks. We seem to have everything going for us.

Therefore one looks at the reasons. The principle reason in my view is we have never been a true footballing city and so have never been able to attract staff of the highest quality at every level of the Club.

The situation with our owner/chairman and his choice of mediocre managers is another regrettable stage in the cycle of our mediocre football history. This is more than a concern, it's a torment to those of us who will die being City fans not having seen enough success and not seeing our Club where we believe it should be.

It's more than possible for SL to break out of this cycle but at the moment I don't see him changing enough to do that.

Perhaps the lack of success in the last 125 years is something to do with the culture of Bristol, rather than the drab entertainment LJ has served up in the last 40 odd home games! 

Perhaps the people of Bristol ought to take some responsibility as to why we aren’t a ‘passionate football city’. 
Unsure why that’s a stick to beat LJ or SL with? 

Anyway, to take apart your point. You say we haven’t achieved anything of any note since Dicks. 
Well, let’s consider that the last 3 years have given us the most consistent and highest league positions since the early 1900’s. 
We are now an established top half tier 2 team. Something we’ve not been in your lifetime. 

What exactly is it you’re after? 

16th worst home record in the league......no we AIN'T  man city.......and never will be.  I'm not expecting to win every home game, but a little entertainment would be useful now and again.  On Friday, we had just won 4 games on the trot without conceding and were a goal up after 40 seconds, so why did we look as if we had no confidence?.  The point i made about Sheff utd was tactics, identity and game plan.....of the small teams, they are the ace practioners of those habits, but they are by no means the only ones.  There are plenty of teams throughout the leagues with those traits, I don't dislike LJ, and  I want him to suceed, but some of the home performances this season have been dire and  lacking in a Game plan, tactics and identity IMHO.

I think maybe SL thinks that if we improve bit by bit every season we will eventually get promoted and he's right. It may take another 3-4 years or more but he will see that as justification of his policy and choice of manager. I can live with that but I still want to entertained, not bored, at home games. At least occasionally. (and please don't quote me Huddersfield. Even they managed 2 against us at AG, and they were bl**dy awful )

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Perhaps the lack of success in the last 125 years is something to do with the culture of Bristol, rather than the drab entertainment LJ has served up in the last 40 odd home games! 

Perhaps the people of Bristol ought to take some responsibility as to why we aren’t a ‘passionate football city’. 

Anyway, to take apart your point. You say we haven’t achieved anything of any note since Dicks. 
Well, let’s consider that the last 3 years have given us the most consistent and highest league positions since the early 1900’s. 
We are now an established top half tier 2 team. Something we’ve not been in your lifetime. 

You naughty boy. The cat will be upset to hear that you've seriously taken apart my post. Ouch!

In my view we should have been in the Premiership years ago. Much smaller cities than ours have a Premiership Club some of the same size have two.

I thought we were all one in supporting our beloved fuhrer who claims this is his aim??

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Easy, Tiger! Easy.

Pulis did alright after us. ?

43 minutes ago, marmite said:

I think maybe SL thinks that if we improve bit by bit every season we will eventually get promoted and he's right. It may take another 3-4 years or more but he will see that as justification of his policy and choice of manager. I can live with that but I still want to entertained, not bored, at home games. At least occasionally. (and please don't quote me Huddersfield. Even they managed 2 against us at AG, and they were bl**dy awful )

There is no guarantee of that and one blip of a season finishing mid table puts that plan back to square one.

Back to OP's point. Having a well coached / drilled team avoids the clueless display we witnessed on Friday. Yes there will be bad days when things don't go to plan but at least if the team are struggling they have a well rehearsed system to fall back on.

Thing is who do you get that guarantees you want you are asking for Biesla was being pushed heavily in a thread recently and look at Leeds now. No doubting he is a highly regarded  coach. Interestingly if you look on their forum right now they are blaming him for playing the same system every game, not adapting the game plan to suit the opposition, and not rotating the players/picking the same line unless there are injuries or suspensions. 

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

You naughty boy. The cat will be upset to hear that you've seriously taken apart my post. Ouch!

In my view we should have been in the Premiership years ago. Much smaller cities than ours have a Premiership Club some of the same size have two.

I thought we were all one in supporting our beloved fuhrer who claims this is his aim??

Size of the city has nothing to do with it. 
Why should we have been a top flight club years ago? 
Historically, our attendances rank us at 33rd in the country. We’re a mid table championship team when it comes to attendances and we are currently punching marginally above that. 
Just because you and your cat want it now now now cuz you’ve watched for 50 years and are getting impatient, doesn’t mean it’s SL or LJ’s fault. 
Why didn’t that legendary team of the 70’s stay up there and make us an established top level team. Don’t they have some responsibility to bear in failing to keep us in Div 1? 

Edit - additional point to make. 
There are only 3 teams in the premier league with historical lower attendances than us (Brighton, Watford & Bournemouth). 
There are 15 teams currently NOT in the Prem who have historically larger attendances than us, and therefore arguably are historically bigger clubs. 
What right do you think we have to be in the Prem? Why exactly do you think we should’ve  been there years ago? 

6 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Thing is who do you get that guarantees you want you are asking for Biesla was being pushed heavily in a thread recently and look at Leeds now. No doubting he is a highly regarded  coach. Interestingly if you look on their forum right now they are blaming him for playing the same system every game, not adapting the game plan to suit the opposition, and not rotating the players/picking the same line unless there are injuries or suspensions. 

He's supposed to be one of the best coaches in the world yet there is no guarantee he would do any better than LJ.

Not saying LJ is perfect, but blimey i never thought I'd see such comments about a manager that has got us to where we are.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He's supposed to be one of the best coaches in the world yet there is no guarantee he would do any better than LJ.

Not saying LJ is perfect, but blimey i never thought I'd see such comments about a manager that has got us to where we are.

Given what Leeds fans are complaining about and what ours are maybe we should just swap coaches! ?

3 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Put briefly, a Sheff U, a Leeds, and any other club that has spent plenty of time over the years in the top tier, supporters and owners, demand that they get back there.

Bristol City, with no history at that level (4 seasons since year 1911), would like to play there.

Massive difference in us and the rest!!

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Given what Leeds fans are complaining about and what ours are maybe we should just swap coaches! ?

Yep. A Leeds fan I was chatting to on holiday said he's fed up with him. And when talking about City he said he's well impressed with our manager!

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Size of the city has nothing to do with it. 
Why should we have been a top flight club years ago? 
Historically, our attendances rank us at 33rd in the country. We’re a mid table championship team when it comes to attendances and we are currently punching marginally above that. 
Just because you and your cat want it now now now cuz you’ve watched for 50 years and are getting impatient, doesn’t mean it’s SL or LJ’s fault. 
Why didn’t that legendary team of the 70’s stay up there and make us an established top level team. Don’t they have some responsibility to bear in failing to keep us in Div 1? 

Edit - additional point to make. 
There are only 3 teams in the premier league with historical lower attendances than us (Brighton, Watford & Bournemouth). 
There are 15 teams currently NOT in the Prem who have historically larger attendances than us, and therefore arguably are historically bigger clubs. 
What right do you think we have to be in the Prem? Why exactly do you think we should’ve  been there years ago? 

Sorry but to me this is a grinding stuck in the mud Bristolian lowering of horizons. We are a famous city, the sixth largest by most calculations, in the country. This means something to me and gives me and many others ambitions for our football club.

Dave Whelan had the guts and drive to make Wigan a Premiership team. You may be happy with third and at best second rate. But I and many others are not.

Good night and a final, final goodbye. Adieu mon brave

3 hours ago, Harry said:

We were an established top half team in the early 70's until promotion to the top flight for four years. I think that betters what we currently have. Not facilities though.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Pulis went on to 1. Win promotion to the Prem, and 2. Coach in the Prem for many years, never being relegated.

And he wasn't good enough for us and we chased him out of the place.

He didn't take much persuading!

Archived