IGNORED

My team for Wednesday

Davefevs

I’m not totally comfortable with any team I’ve come up with, because I’d like to feel confident that the team I pick would be the one I’d pick for Leeds too, or West Brom for that matter....but I don’t!

But as it currently stands, Derby on Wednesday is our most important game of the season, because it’s our next game!

So here goes:

[and I didn’t want to go to a back 5 either....alas]

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Hunt | Henriksen | Smith | Dasilva

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Subs: Wollacott | Pereira | Nagy | Massengo | Eliasson | Palmer | Weimann

Rationale:

Kalas - can ease him back in as the “spare man”.  Been said he’s fit and raring to go.

Benkovic - looks more than capable on the ball, threat in opposition box.  Kalas to help him through.

Henriksen - need something extra, get him through 55-60 minutes and see how he copes.

Smith - bit of experience alongside Henriksen

Paterson - not great the other night, but has produced, plus added needle with Derby

Wells - must start

Diedhiou - been better than Weimann of late.

Subs:

Palmer - if we need to replace Paterson

Pereira - if we need to replace Hunt, or need to RCB if Benkovic struggles, or if we need to go to a back 4

Nagy / Massengo - both Henriksen and maybe Smith might need replacing

Not Selected:

Maenpaa - purely club developed rule

Williams - tough call, but these are tough times, plus rest for Leeds potentially 

Rowe / O’Dowda - Eliasson covers the left sided option on the bench

It won’t be what LJ picks either, but hey-ho!!!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not totally comfortable with any team I’ve come up with, because I’d like to feel confident that the team I pick would be the one I’d pick for Leeds too, or West Brom for that matter....but I don’t!

But as it currently stands, Derby on Wednesday is our most important game of the season, because it’s our next game!

So here goes:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Rationale:

Kalas - can ease him back in as the “spare man”.  Been said he’s fit and raring to go.

Benkovic - looks more than capable on the ball, threat in opposition box.  Kalas to help him through.

Henriksen - need something extra, get him through 55-60 minutes and see how he copes.

Paterson - not great the other night, but has produced, plus added needle with Derby

Wells - must start

Subs:

Pereira - if we need to replace Hunt, or need to RCB if Benkovic struggles, or if we need to go to a back 4

Not Selected:

Williams - tough call, but these are tough times, plus rest for Leeds potentially 

Exactly my team too!!?

Would be tempted with Eliasson behind strikers though as i feel he wouldnt be marked and could drift to either wing for his crossing, rather than be marked out of the game in a fixed winger position. 

13 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Exactly my team too!!?

Would be tempted with Eliasson behind strikers though as i feel he wouldnt be marked and could drift to either wing for his crossing, rather than be marked out of the game in a fixed winger position. 

Bloody ‘ell, didn’t expect anyone to go the same as me

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Williams not even in your  squad? Is he injured?     :dunno:

Nope - I did give my rationale above, but here you go:

Williams - tough call, but these are tough times, plus rest for Leeds potentially’

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So here goes:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Rationale:

Wells - must start

Subs:

Not Selected:

I'm happy with that, and if we go for 352 I think LJ will be thinking broadly the same, with the obvious Weimann caveat!

With the personnel at our disposal now, it will he hard to resist 352. Personally, it's a formation that worries me, but maybe that's just flashbacks to Cotts...

Certainly Johnson now has the justification to make changes, which helps when loanees are up for having a go.

It reminds me of the Blackburn game after the Millwall defeat. That time Baker and Hunt were dropped and we lost again. Hopefully we can show more bouncebackability this time and not go on another slump.

Wouldn’t be rushing Kalas back so soon.  Too much of a gamble.  Don’t like Baker in a back three.  Important to get three men in that midfield as well. 

Some big away games coming up for Fam and cannot see Fam and Wells working well together. 

This side is packed full of people who are very comfortable on the ball, Baker aside. 

Palmer and Pato can rotate

Bentley

Pereira.  Williams. Baker. Dasilva

Nagy. Smith. Palmer

Elliason.  Wells.  Paterson 

Subs

Wollocott, Hunt,  Benkovic, Henriksen, COD, Diedhiou, Weimann. 

Clearly it won’t be this side though!

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So here goes:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Rationale:

Wells - must start

Subs:

Not Selected:

It's a yes from me Dave. Plus, Henriksen is known as a tough tackler, play-maker and leader, having served as Hull's captain last season. Let's hope he gets to display all those qualities on a Wednesday and help us secure three viral points.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So here goes:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Rationale:

Wells - must start

Subs:

Not Selected:

swap palmer for paterson change after 55 if not working

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

4 2 3 1 for me

Bentley

Pereira

Kalas (Benkovic if Kalas not available)

Baker

Dasilva

Nagy

Henriksen

Paterson

Palmer

Eliasson

Wells

Subs Wollacott, Benkovic, Rowe, Smith, O'Dowda, Weimann, Diedhiou

I really like your “front 4”...toyed with that too.

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

It's a yes from me Dave. Plus, Henriksen is known as a tough tackler, play-maker and leader, having served as Hull's captain last season. Let's hope he gets to display all those qualities on a Wednesday and help us secure three viral points.

Think smith has had a fair few games lately would play Henricksen over him 

I’d go with a 3-4-1-2 on the basis that we look strongest with 3 in central midfield, plus it allows us to play Eliasson and 2 strikers (which gives us the greatest chance of scoring IMHO):

Bentley

Kalas Williams Baker

Eliasson Smith Henrikson Dasilva

Pato

Wells Fam

Only players I’m undecided on are:

Palmer or Pato: KP could be at his best playing behind a striker like Wells, but very harsh to drop Pato on recent performances.

Henrikson or Nagy: I have never see Henrikson play, but Nagy hasn’t performed well recently and from what I’ve heard, Henrikson could be exactly the type of player we need at the moment to begin dominating midfield battles again.

1 minute ago, keynshamred said:

It's brilliant, all these people who critise Johnson and Co and everyone goes for a different 11. Priceless!! How hard is the job and trust him as he sees these players all week. So many different things can happen in one week. Injuries, personal problems etc. 

Critise, was that the song from Watership Down? Seriously though, this is a fans forum and people are entitled to their opinion. Why wouldn't we choose different starting 11s? 

15 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

It's brilliant, all these people who critise Johnson and Co and everyone goes for a different 11. Priceless!! How hard is the job and trust him as he sees these players all week. So many different things can happen in one week. Injuries, personal problems etc. 

Priceless? Why?

Of course we pick different teams....it’s about what each of us would do.  I suspect Macca and Deano would pick differently to LJ too on numerous occasions.

I think we all know it ain’t an easy job.

I think we all know he sees the players all week.

I think we all know many different things can happen in one week.

Are we suggesting LJ must pick an eleven based on OTIB forum suggestions?  Nope.

And finally, even with LJ being all-knowing, with infinite more insight than us, he only goes and loses and draws games, because he gets things wrong, or misjudged something.

I think you may have missed the point of this thread and perhaps a forum.

Sorry for being so patronising and condescending....but you started it ?

Bentley

Hunt  Williams Baker Dasilva

Henriksen 

Nagy       Eliasson 

Paterson 

Wells

I’d go with this. Don’t rush Kalas back. I’d stick with back 4. Henriksen protecting the defence including with his height. Nagy given more licence to get forward and create. Wells has to start, and from his interview he says he has had success with Pato playing in behind him before. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

I was thinking Henriksen and Wells in for Massengo and Eliasson/Weimann, and you've taken things a step or two further. We need to be more of a threat from set pieces so Benkovic might be a good call for that reason only. I think both Hunt and Dasilva are better wing backs than full backs so that set up works for them. Patterson will need to feed Wells as much as possible in and around the box and not get in his way. This could work.

37 minutes ago, eardun said:

Bentley

Hunt  Williams Baker Dasilva

Henriksen 

Nagy       Eliasson 

Paterson 

Wells

I’d go with this. Don’t rush Kalas back. I’d stick with back 4. Henriksen protecting the defence including with his height. Nagy given more licence to get forward and create. Wells has to start, and from his interview he says he has had success with Pato playing in behind him before. 

I mean we don't have to give Derby an advantage by starting with 10

1 hour ago, keynshamred said:

Kind of get where you are coming from - its hard when people act like the team LJ should have picked was obvious when they are commentating with the benefit of hindsight and act like his choice was illogical or idiotic - e.g. Wells not playing was crazy and there could be no logical reason for it - when there is obviously some logic in not breaking up a team on a good run (not saying I agree but not hard to see a logic to that choice). But that why threads like this are good it show that actually there are many possible and appealing options. As @Davefevs said this isn't people saying LJ has to pick this team or that team its saying what we would do - A few people even qualified this in their post. 

Wells needs to start up front with Diedhiou . With Paterson behind them . In Wells interview yesterday he had a prolific season with Paterson assisting a few of his goals at Huddersfield . We have some fantastic attacking footballers now with a natural goal scorer . It’s time to start using them in their strongest positions. I felt a bit deflated knowing Wells was on the bench Friday night walking into the ground. Hope it’s different tomorrow 

Interested in views on Eliasson in the wake of ever increasing speculation (albeit mainly small news websites) that he wants out to Celtic or Lazio.

If he was a squad player at best and going with forum trends from the past it would normally be if he wants out let him rot and his head might be turned so should not be playing type posts.

He was fairly useless against Brum so maybe his head was elsewhere but obviously his assist record this season is incredible.

Just curious and throwing into the mix.

Whilst it's refreshing to see everyone naming teams that do not include Weimann in the starting 11, I expect LJ to find a way of keeping him in the side!

Also having watched a couple of recent Derby games since Rooney came in, he has been operating mainly in the 10 yards either side of the halfway line pulling all the strings with nobody closing him down. For me we need to go 4-3-3 to counter that so someone can be detailed to man mark him, otherwise we will likely lose.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So here goes:

Bentley

Benkovic | Kalas | Baker

Paterson

Wells | Diedhiou

Rationale:

Wells - must start

Subs:

Not Selected:

Makes sense to start our 3 newest players otherwise no point them being here, agree with 2 up top as well, with the nippy Pato in behind give them something to worry about; baisic 3 at the back with Hunt and Disilva pushing up more. Yep all looks good but will LJ make so many changes; I would prob have Elia, on the bench instead of Naggy or Mass though.

Bentley 

Hunt       Williams        Baker         Dasilva 

Smith    Henriksen

Eliasson            Palmer         Paterson

Wells

Never gonna happen! Truth be told I’m just keen to see Palmer & Wells play together... I’ll deal with anything else!

I would be more than happy with Davefevs line up as I think we have looked more solid playing 352.

However fwiw here is my team if Benkovic has / can play RB.

Bentley

Benkovic Williams Baker DaSilva

Smith

Eliason.        Henriksen.       Pato

Wells.      Fam

i would give Eliason a bit of a free role and tell Pato to play inside more to give JD room on the outside.

Henriksen by his own admission is a box to box midfielder so it would be daft to tie him down in a defensive role.

Archived