IGNORED

Cardiff Cat 1 Academy

James54De

BBC say Cardiff are trying to upgrade their academy to category one, and with them being close to us, this is likely to have an effect on our academy recruitment. 
Is this likely to force us to upgrade ours too? Can’t imagine the higher ups here are likely to want us to constantly miss out on academy talent to Cardiff. 

I think the new training base we are building has one eye on cat 1 in the future. Although I believe to be cat 1 you need an indoor 3/4G full size pitch which to my knowledge we don't have plans for. I could be wrong on that necessity though.

You're right that if Cardiff do gain cat 1, then sharing our catchment area will certainly affect our recruitment. 

21 minutes ago, James54De said:

BBC say Cardiff are trying to upgrade their academy to category one, and with them being close to us, this is likely to have an effect on our academy recruitment. 
Is this likely to force us to upgrade ours too? Can’t imagine the higher ups here are likely to want us to constantly miss out on academy talent to Cardiff. 

Having a family member in a academy it is not as simple as CAT 1 v CAT 2 . A CAT 2 proposition can be a better choice to a parent and player for a variety of reasons.  

What do they offer? Excellent reputation. Free schooling - educational growth. Support. Travelling. And on this goes. 

Cardiff City and others are and are looking to recruit players from Bristol. Clubs are stepping in by running development centres to feed talent into their academies. The higher ups at BCFC and Bristol Sport at this point are not responding to that. 

To echo what Cowshed says, Cardiff are already signing up talented Bristol kids, some of which I know. They have an Advanced Dev Centre at the Yate Academy. https://www.ccfcdevelopmentsw.com/about-the-badc

Appreciate we can't sign up every talented kid in Bristol, but really frustrating as they have some cracking young players and as a City fan it is galling to see them do it in our own backyard. 

3 hours ago, James54De said:

Is this likely to force us to upgrade ours too? Can’t imagine the higher ups here are likely to want us to constantly n miss out on academy talent to Cardiff. 

My sons friends are both in the Rovers academy and when asked directly who are the best academy around, the answer is Cardiff sadly. 

Brilliant set up, great players and win in Europe.

18 hours ago, redordead1 said:

To echo what Cowshed says, Cardiff are already signing up talented Bristol kids, some of which I know. They have an Advanced Dev Centre at the Yate Academy. https://www.ccfcdevelopmentsw.com/about-the-badc

Appreciate we can't sign up every talented kid in Bristol, but really frustrating as they have some cracking young players and as a City fan it is galling to see them do it in our own backyard. 

I find it perplexing and frustrating.

Much was made of the player pathway from the community trust up. The community trust centres have been shut down around Bristol. The network of coaching that has been established to replace it, or progress this in or outside Bristol? It is not there. Other clubs clearly do more.

Bristol City have had some success in producing its own players - Bristol City now coach less, not more players in its backyard!

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I find it perplexing and frustrating.

Much was made of the player pathway from the community trust up. The community trust centres have been shut down around Bristol. The network of coaching that has been established to replace it, or progress this in or outside Bristol? It is not there. Other clubs clearly do more.

Bristol City have had some success in producing its own players - Bristol City now coach less, not more players in its backyard!

Agree, would love to hear the club explain its strategy.

Would be great if Gregor or the OSIB team could secure an interview with Gary Probert and Academy team to cover? @Shtanley

2 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Agree, would love to hear the club explain its strategy.

Would be great if Gregor or the OSIB team could secure an interview with Gary Probert and Academy team to cover? @Shtanley

Good shout to be fair. I’m sure tinnion would sort it. Would need to think about how I’d structure the interview. What key topics people would want to hear. 

Archived