IGNORED

Evening Post articles - conflicting fan opinions

CyderInACan

I’m with @spudski . It’s falling out with modern day football, rather than with City.

Football in general was better before it was so commercial. Or was it because I was a kid? Who knows? I just don’t get excited as much as I used to. Or maybe that’s not just football?

Maybe I’m just confused, maybe it’s my age, maybe...

I remember when tickets were less than £8.50 too...

Agree with some of @Davefevs article though.

11 minutes ago, Ring said:

I’m with @spudski . It’s falling out with modern day football, rather than with City.

Football in general was better before it was so commercial. Or was it because I was a kid? Who knows? I just don’t get excited as much as I used to. Or maybe that’s not just football?

Maybe I’m just confused, maybe it’s my age, maybe...

I remember when tickets were less than £8.50 too...

Agree with some of @Davefevs article though.

In my life, I think it’s always been commercial.  I’m 49.  Liverpool were one of the wealthiest clubs around when I was growing up. Forest splashed loads of cash to curtail their dominance, etc etc, Blackburn, etc etc.

Go back to Arsenal after WW1 and they bought their way back into the top flight having been relegated pre-war.  If you are interested, read this book:

The Beautiful Game?: Searching for the Soul of Football https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0224064363/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_F2WqEbKEVE65X

31 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

My first season ticket cost £5 ( brand new Dolman Stand .. Juvenile U16 ticket)  

Good old days! ?

yep I was there first 2 seasons sat right on the halfway line, near or at front; never had a ST in there since mind.

50 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Regarding using White Stripes instead of The Wurzels, yes the players requested it but were they asked if the club should change the song or were they just asked to choose a song because the club wanted a change? Why weren’t the fans consulted? After all, it is more our club than the players’

And if the fans had their way with every decision, we'd likely not have the squad we have nor be sitting outside the play-offs in the second tier of English football.

And I've only read the "fallen out of love" piece but have seen enough in that to understand I'd agree with the counter argument without reading it. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Just read these. First Oscar*  explaining how he’s fallen out of love with City then our very own @Davefevs explaining how he, well, hasn’t. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/ive-fallen-out-love-bristol-3823109

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-sport-given-bristol-city-3823160

Intetsting viewpoints from both. But who’s right!? Or are they both correct?

*apologies if you’re on here mate, feel free to let me know your nom de plume. 

It really is a case of perception. 

I love football but I dislike the game that is modern football. Bristol City in a short period of times have modernised and become part of that modern football.

My Son loved the old Ashton Gate. He will barely enter the new one. I understand why. Its bland, boring, sterile with an atmosphere to match. The environment breeds that atmosphere.  

Modernisation is a necessity but a look at Germany highlights how modernisation can include fans. Bristol Sport and BCFC do the opposite, and it is detrimental to the clubs well being.  

37 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

And if the fans had their way with every decision, we'd likely not have the squad we have nor be sitting outside the play-offs in the second tier of English football.

And I've only read the "fallen out of love" piece but have seen enough in that to understand I'd agree with the counter argument without reading it. 

Yes but having a say about what tune to walk out to is not on a par with team selection or how the club is run, surely the fans can have a say on the match day experience that they are paying for?

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Indeed it is.

And my opinion is that a young bloke who has only supported since 2004 has no idea of what football was like in the "good old days."

2004 ! get some in, then tell us about it.

I'm with Fevs.

100%.

Exactly, those of us who were stood freezing cold and wet, p***ing down with rain and getting soaked, queues never ending for sub standard toilet facilities and food/drinks. Facilities that only attracted the die hard 8 -10k playing in the 3rd tier 

Yes it was a time where being a fan was in your blood and to be honest the club didnt appear to give a damn about the supporters

Fast forward to the last few seasons and admittedly the football served up at home has been turgid but at 53 years old I know I wouldn't swap what we currently have for the 80s, 90s and 00s era 

We now have a modern stadium that is the very least us the supporters deserve, facilities that reflect our expectations and a squad of players who are competing at the right end of the 2nd tier 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Indeed it is.

And my opinion is that a young bloke who has only supported since 2004 has no idea of what football was like in the "good old days."

2004 ! get some in, then tell us about it.

I'm with Fevs.

100%.

He’s not seen that many seasons outside of the Championship if he started going in 2004, some 16 years.

The 16 years (or more) prior to 2004 might have changed his opinions.

15 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

He’s not seen that many seasons outside of the Championship if he started going in 2004, some 16 years.

The 16 years (or more) prior to 2004 might have changed his opinions.

I did notice he seemed awfully young to be harking for the good ole' days, but if anything, I think that demonstrates just how fast the changes to football have accelerated. Sure, he wasn't around for the terracing, but that doesn't make his points any less valid (or, in my view, on the button!). 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For info, I was given Oscar’s full copy to look at / respond to.  There were some bits I agreed with, also some bits of both of ours that couldn’t be published either!!!!

Its about opinions.

Is this the old "we are not allowed to tell the top brass anything too bad as it may upset them"?

If you are not having everything printed then surely the post is printing whatever suits their agenda? Or am I being too cynical?

Oscar is just into fantasy football  - there's a lot of rose tinted nostalgia about what the past was like. In the past we didn't own the club, it was something we went to and at times prayed continued thanks to someone coming in with the money. English football has never been fan owned. I suspect the likes of Oscar wouldn't have the bottle for a season or two in division 4

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Is this the old "we are not allowed to tell the top brass anything too bad as it may upset them"?

If you are not having everything printed then surely the post is printing whatever suits their agenda? Or am I being too cynical?

No, more a case of where opinion not factual if you get my drift.

Both are really good pieces. Is that the Oscar from OSIB? I thought he put a really good case forward and really this is a debate that could go on endlessly. 

Ultimately, the club has a duty of care to move forward, but to take the community with it. 

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Both are really good pieces. Is that the Oscar from OSIB? I thought he put a really good case forward and really this is a debate that could go on endlessly. 

Ultimately, the club has a duty of care to move forward, but to take the community with it. 

It is Oscar from OSIB.  Think he used to write for Match Mag.

Oscar’s article seems full of trivialities to me. It feels like a nostalgic view of something he never knew. I’m 63 and have no illusions about how crap the old Ashton Gate was and how much better the new one is. I remember how impressed I was when the Dolman Stand was built and it took us nearly 50 years to bring the rest up to scratch. I love old architecture, but the East End and old Williams Stand were abysmal structures. 

29 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Oscar’s article seems full of trivialities to me. It feels like a nostalgic view of something he never knew. I’m 63 and have no illusions about how crap the old Ashton Gate was and how much better the new one is. I remember how impressed I was when the Dolman Stand was built and it took us nearly 50 years to bring the rest up to scratch. I love old architecture, but the East End and old Williams Stand were abysmal structures. 

I'll never forget the first time I walked into the new concourse under the Dolman and South Stand.....and again when the Lansdown concourse was revealed.

It's light years from what we had before.

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Which one is correct? Both to a certain extent. 

If I fall into one camp, it's definitely Oscar's. Sorry Dave! 

I'll not point the finger too much at City though. Every club is a shadow of its best days imo. Best days of fan involvement and care for the community it works within. 

I believe that the present unrest, for the want of a better word, among supporters, is because our style of play in home games is producing so little for fans to enjoy.

It has killed the atmosphere in a very high percentage of home games due to negative tactics that send even the young fans, to sleep.

If we had a team that won a few more home games, tried to play attacking football even if that meant an entertaining defeat, nobody, or only a very small percentage of fans, would be the least interested in how Bristol Sport operate.

All seating stadia can be used as a reason for lack of atmosphere but give us a squad that tries to win rather than not to lose, and we will have much noisier fans, willing the team to perform yet accepting defeats as we have tried our best to win.

Current home form is creating a lack of atmosphere worse than a library. Nearer to an old peoples home with  all senile and bed ridden.

If I am seriously considering not renewing my ST after seventy years supporting Bristol City, then it means that something is sadly amiss with the product on display.

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe that the present unrest, for the want of a better word, among supporters, is because our style of play in home games is producing so little for fans to enjoy.

It has killed the atmosphere in a very high percentage of home games due to negative tactics that send even the young fans, to sleep.

If we had a team that won a few more home games, tried to play attacking football even if that meant an entertaining defeat, nobody, or only a very small percentage of fans, would be the least interested in how Bristol Sport operate.

All seating stadia can be used as a reason for lack of atmosphere but give us a squad that tries to win rather than not to lose, and we will have much noisier fans, willing the team to perform yet accepting defeats as we have tried our best to win.

Current home form is creating a lack of atmosphere worse than a library. Nearer to an old peoples home with  all senile and bed ridden.

If I am seriously considering not renewing my ST after seventy years supporting Bristol City, then it means that something is sadly amiss with the product on display.

My nephew is 11 and lives in Portishead. His Dad's not much of a fan but my nephew enjoyed coming to 6 or 7 games over the last 2 years, because he's fond of his cousin (my nipper) and enjoyed time in the pub beforehand. 

In his half a dozen games he's seen City score once and never win. 

Unfortunately, he now goes to watch Bristol Rugby instead. 

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

but who gets what in the way things are set up, transfer fees/ST`s/fan zone outlets/players cost/manager, coaches costs? who pays what and who gets what?

When you say the club do you mean just us or the grounds other users as well and where are  Bristol Sport in all this who pays them, the concerts etc?

When the redevopement to the ground was done it was supposed to give our club more income, has it and from what/where exactly?

A few questions I know but what are the answers, gen dont know :dunno:

Sl's aware he won't be around forever and he's trying to make the club able to exist without his handouts so it can stand on it's own two feet, I'm sure the income from food and drink outlets, the concerts etc all go towards paying the massive bill for the players wages but if you want to know the finer detail you'll have to wade through the company accounts.

14 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I wonder how much Oscar wouldn’t have fallen out of love if the home games hadn’t been such a nailed on tugid affair for the last 2 years?

How true is that. I am calling it a day after this season for that very reason. Going to games has become such a chore, I am simply not enjoying the bore thats served up. Its been the best part of 60 years going to the gate, never for once thought it would come to this.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

My nephew is 11 and lives in Portishead. His Dad's not much of a fan but my nephew enjoyed coming to 6 or 7 games over the last 2 years, because he's fond of his cousin (my nipper) and enjoyed time in the pub beforehand. 

In his half a dozen games he's seen City score once and never win. 

Unfortunately, he now goes to watch Bristol Rugby instead. 

Lansdown appointed a rugby coach who's main plan is to play attacking, open, ball passing rugby. It's a joy to watch even when the result goes against the team as it has done in final minutes of the match.

Yet he is sticking with a football head coach who has overseen two years of the most dull, unadventuresome, football that we have ever seen at City, except for any of the relegation times.

As a financial success as SL is, I would expect him to he more cautious than a gambler. Thus Johnson is understandable but to have a gambler like Pat Lam is puzzling but very welcome.

Everyone on here, knows which one I would change. I don't understand why SL does not agree with me.

Archived