IGNORED

The rise of the super-rich and how football became broken

CyderInACan

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Oscar wouldn't be pleased if he was a Man City fan, no doubt 

Bloody good read, thanks a lot for posting it. Seriously it does read very well in light of the two fan articles from yesterday.

Given where our club currently sits much of the article may seem irrelevant. However one sentence stood out to me: "The forces of the game just don’t allow clubs outside the elite the time and space to get to that level.". It comes in the section about Everton. In many ways we mirror that great club's role in their division. A 'challenger' club that sits just outside the prime positions, trying to innovate from within in order to overcome the brute financial force of clubs like WBA, Fulham and others who have dined at the top table. Take this paragraph, with alternative words placed by me in square brackets:

"This means that even if clubs like Everton [Bristol City] have the money to pay competitive wages, they are still mostly getting cast-offs, a level of player short of the true elite. And when they do have a player who can perform at Champions [Premier] League level, like Romelu Lukaku [Josh Brownhill/Bobby Reid], he is quickly picked off."

This is a neat summary of our core issue and barrier to progress in terms of moving up the league.

This "It is much more than money at stake here. We should all recall the social value of football, the role it plays in communities." is a neat summary of the dichotomy that football finds itself in right now. A club like ours seems to have a foot in each camp, one still rooted in BS£ as the other tries to move us towards the golden fields of the Premier League and onto the gilded plateau of European competition. As others said, perhaps fans like Oscar have in fact fallen out of love with the mega money side of football rather than Bristol City itself.

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

A very apt mis-type there - could be shorthand for Bristol Sport and their so-say money-grabbing (presuming you meant BS3, of course, in the first place) 

Any reference to them henceforth just to be BS£ 

Oh wow what a Freudian slip. An all too-honest mistype there.

58 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Oscar wouldn't be pleased if he was a Man City fan, no doubt 

Being objective, buying success is a shallow way to win, which is why on another thread we are supporting the cause of Brentford.

The base of all sport is the dream that one day you can be successful. 
Take that away from football and you will kill the goose  that lays the proverbial golden eggs. 

One day all that will be needed to decide the Prem title will be the bank statements of the top clubs , why waste time and money actually playing the bloody game  ?

The opening lines of that article were enough to send me into a rage.

“We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”

These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.

“Football history suggests fans like big teams winning,” the official continued, to the group of business people and media figures present. “A certain amount of unpredictability is good, but a more democratic league would be bad for business.”

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/champions-league-superclubs-liverpool-man-utd-barcelona-real-madrid-a9330431.html

A good - but pretty bleak - read on the state of football and the finances & mentality of the biggest clubs. 

Maybe we would all be better off without them ?

They can all **** off and form a European super league/World league as far as I’m concerned,I would have zero interest in either of them.

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The opening lines of that article were enough to send me into a rage.

“We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”

These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.

“Football history suggests fans like big teams winning,” the official continued, to the group of business people and media figures present. “A certain amount of unpredictability is good, but a more democratic league would be bad for business.”

The last word is what it’s all about but shouldn’t be .

I hate the way that money has become more important than glory in football.

Did our grandad’s dream of following a successful ‘ business ‘ ? 

Did they turn up after work on a Saturday afternoon hoping that the club would get richer  ? 

They came in their droves for the dream, the drama and the communion with their fellow supporters. 

They passed the love of their clubs on to their sons and grandsons . Eventually this love will die as families stop sharing the costly experience of going to  live football. 

Modern day football and sport generally has been kidnapped by the rich .

We could break the chain by canceling subscriptions to Sky and company but that would be too hard so we will suck it up until it’s too late .

We have ourselves to blame . 

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I hate the way that money has become more important than glory in football.

I understand the meaning of this but money has not quite as simple as money becoming more important than glory. Money is the mechanism by which a club obtains glory, but glory is still the end goal. Trouble is this only really because glory leads to more money, which leads to more glory. As the article explains you actually see this most clearly in the smaller European leagues that get only one spot in the Champions League. That one team gets a huge financial advantage over their competitors. That helps them to win their league the next year, and then they get another injection of that sweet sweet UEFA bunce. Just look north of the border, or even over the bridge to the Welsh league for clear examples.

What an interesting if awfully depressing read.

Thanks for posting @CyderInACan, much appreciated.

I would be interested in seeing the follow up article but I would imagine it's going to be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. The super clubs will look after themselves, I have no doubt about that, making the disparity ever bigger. 

Archived