IGNORED

Should we build a team around Nakhi Wells?

Berkshire Red

Just been on the BBC website and I didn't realise quite how prolific Wells has been playing this season.

Diedhiou: 10 goals, 1 assist, 1 every 216 minutes - 48% shots on target

Weimann: 9 goals, 3 assists, 1 every 302 minutes - 41% shots on target

Afobe: 3 goals, 1 in every 143 minutes - 89% shots on target

Wells: 13 Goals, 3 Assist, 1 every 129 minutes - 60% shots on target.

Quite concerned that with Brownhill gone and Afobe injured, our next highest scorers are eliasson and Paterson with 3.

Do people think we will see a change of tactic to accommodate him? He has the same goal to minute ratio as Mitrovic, and should we have signed him I'm sure we would build a team around him.

Will johnson drop Weimann who appears shot of confidence and play wells wide? 

I've noticed diedhiou has just the single assist. Would wells up top enable more goals throughout the rest of the team? More movement up top create more space for others etc? Think diedhious recent form however has come from the reintroduction of pato to the team so could LJ play all 3?

Finally, how do other fans view Wells? Is he the best forward we've signed in the last 20/30 years? Does anyone else consider this a sign we are now considered an established top half championship team to the rest of the football world?

The building of a team is based on pattern of play and the best players in the squad to suit that formation.

The spine of the team, Keeper, Central Defender, Central Midfield, Striking Force are the key positions

We appear to have two suitable keepers, Bentley and Maenpaa.

Central defence with any two from Williams, Baker, Kalas and Benkovic.

Central midfield is the problem area. Nobody stands out as suitable.

Up front Diedhiou and Wells.

In the spine players, one should hang the full backs, wing backs, wide midfield. Those such as Hunt, Dasilva, Paterson, Weimann, Eliasson, Palmer.

We have two problem areas IMO. Defensive full backs and central midfield.

How we can overcome this at this stage of the season is where the coaching staff come in. Three centre backs with five in midfield? Or pushing a centre half into defensive midfield? Is Henriksen the midfield answer?

Time will tell. In answer to the title if the thread. Of course Wells has to start.

1 hour ago, City18 said:

Just been on the BBC website and I didn't realise quite how prolific Wells has been playing this season.

Diedhiou: 10 goals, 1 assist, 1 every 216 minutes - 48% shots on target

Weimann: 9 goals, 3 assists, 1 every 302 minutes - 41% shots on target

Afobe: 3 goals, 1 in every 143 minutes - 89% shots on target

Wells: 13 Goals, 3 Assist, 1 every 129 minutes - 60% shots on target.

Quite concerned that with Brownhill gone and Afobe injured, our next highest scorers are eliasson and Paterson with 3.

Do people think we will see a change of tactic to accommodate him? He has the same goal to minute ratio as Mitrovic, and should we have signed him I'm sure we would build a team around him.

Will johnson drop Weimann who appears shot of confidence and play wells wide? 

I've noticed diedhiou has just the single assist. Would wells up top enable more goals throughout the rest of the team? More movement up top create more space for others etc? Think diedhious recent form however has come from the reintroduction of pato to the team so could LJ play all 3?

Finally, how do other fans view Wells? Is he the best forward we've signed in the last 20/30 years? Does anyone else consider this a sign we are now considered an established top half championship team to the rest of the football world?

Andy Cole was the best forward we have signed in the last 30 years 

Wells best role at previous clubs has been up top on his own. With a creative number 10 behind him.

I'm not sure Wells and Fam will be that great a partnership. You're not going to get Wells movement at it's very best alongside Fam. 

On his own or possibly alongside Weimann. Or even Afobe when he returns.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Wells best role at previous clubs has been up top on his own. With a creative number 10 behind him.

I'm not sure Wells and Fam will be that great a partnership. You're not going to get Wells movement at it's very best alongside Fam. 

On his own or possibly alongside Weimann. Or even Afobe when he returns.

I'd go Wells with Patterson just behind. I don't think Diedhiou can really play in a 2. 

Perhaps LJ needs to think about having an away starting 11 and a home starting 11 as surely the tactics and approach are vastly different 

Wells just on his record should start in both cases but I wonder how others would see the change in personnel to suit home and away games

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

How about in the summer...

______________Bents_______________

____Kalas____Benkovic____Baker_____

Eliasson__Henriksen__Nagy____DaSilva

___________Pato/Palmer_____________

__________Wells___Afobe____________

Massengo, Weimann, Moore, Semenyo, Smozdics, Vyner, Walsh.

Sexy, especially if we can blag 12 players past the ref ?

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

How about in the summer...

______________Bents_______________

____Kalas____Benkovic____Baker_____

Eliasson__Henriksen__Nagy____DaSilva

___________Pato/Palmer_____________

__________Wells___Afobe____________

Massengo, Weimann, Moore, Semenyo, Smozdics, Vyner, Walsh.

Wells and Afobe with Palmer supplying them maketh moi moist. Be interesting to see how Henriksen gets on. If he’s the DM we need, he could be great alongside a fit Nagy. I really like that lineup, quality everywhere. 

Caveat being we’ll never keep Benkovic, so need a replacement for him at end of season 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

The building of a team is based on pattern of play and the best players in the squad to suit that formation.

The spine of the team, Keeper, Central Defender, Central Midfield, Striking Force are the key positions

We appear to have two suitable keepers, Bentley and Maenpaa.

Central defence with any two from Williams, Baker, Kalas and Benkovic.

Central midfield is the problem area. Nobody stands out as suitable.

Up front Diedhiou and Wells.

In the spine players, one should hang the full backs, wing backs, wide midfield. Those such as Hunt, Dasilva, Paterson, Weimann, Eliasson, Palmer.

We have two problem areas IMO. Defensive full backs and central midfield.

How we can overcome this at this stage of the season is where the coaching staff come in. Three centre backs with five in midfield? Or pushing a centre half into defensive midfield? Is Henriksen the midfield answer?

Time will tell. In answer to the title if the thread. Of course Wells has to start.

Correct.

Strikers and defenders are fine 

4 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

The problem is Famara doesn't have the mobility to play to our midfields strength.

And the midfield don't have the defensive capabilities to let our wingers play to Famaras strengths.

Didn't do too badly today!?

I'll happily eat humble pie after scoring 3

3 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Wells and Afobe with Palmer supplying them maketh moi moist. Be interesting to see how Henriksen gets on. If he’s the DM we need, he could be great alongside a fit Nagy. I really like that lineup, quality everywhere. 

Caveat being we’ll never keep Benkovic, so need a replacement for him at end of season 

I'd be surprised if Palmer is here next season, to be honest

Good first start, really happy he’s got a goal early. 
Impressed with the headers that he won, for a small guy. Decent movement. Like the way that he, Diedhiou and Paterson combined. 
Reminds me of Maynard in many ways, I think he’ll be deadly alongside Afobe, although Diedhiou’s undroppable at the moment.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Looks like such a tidy player. I simply can’t believe we brought him off. It was awful game management... we just about scraped through tho thank god. 

Jesus your a miserable ****! We won I know you’re desperate for LJ to fail but give him some credit.

His goal tonight was sublime. He didn't just head it back across the keeper but hovered in the air and used his neck muscles to power the header home. He's another who proves you don't have to be a giant to be good in the air, if you have a good leap and good timing. Both Keegan and Owen were decent in the air, and one of the best I saw in a City shirt, Hugh McIlmoyle was around 5'10". 

Archived