IGNORED

Should we build a team around Nakhi Wells?

Berkshire Red

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Looks like such a tidy player. I simply can’t believe we brought him off. It was awful game management... we just about scraped through tho thank god. 

Don't agree. Johnson wanted more bodies in midfield so needed to take off a forward, Famara is better defensively and at holding the ball up. It was the logical change to make in my opinion as he wanted to see the game out.

Then again, Wells would've finished the Diedhiou chance at the end. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

His goal tonight was sublime. He didn't just head it back across the keeper but hovered in the air and used his neck muscles to power the header home. He's another who proves you don't have to be a giant to be good in the air, if you have a good leap and good timing. Both Keegan and Owen were decent in the air, and one of the best I saw in a City shirt, Hugh McIlmoyle was around 5'10". 

Was tremendous technique 

Only surpassed , possibly ......and I havnt seen it mentioned elsewhere JD’s perfect cushioned volley to set Wells up  (Hunts initial cross v good too) but what a brilliant bit of skill / technique by Jay

Bloody good goal 

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Wells best role at previous clubs has been up top on his own. With a creative number 10 behind him.

I'm not sure Wells and Fam will be that great a partnership. You're not going to get Wells movement at it's very best alongside Fam. 

On his own or possibly alongside Weimann. Or even Afobe when he returns.

You didn’t read @Harry’s post the other day then?

At Bradford he played with James Hanson, at Huddersfield, Grant Holt and John Stead initially at Huddersfield, before recent years with the likes of Palmer and Pato.  Hugill at QPR.

What he is just a good striker with great movement (and decent finishing), who can play with different partners of different types.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You didn’t read @Harry’s post the other day then?

At Bradford he played with James Hanson, at Huddersfield, Grant Holt and John Stead initially at Huddersfield, before recent years with the likes of Palmer and Pato.  Hugill at QPR.

What he is just a good striker with great movement (and decent finishing), who can play with different partners of different types.

Hugill partnership is the reason why I thought Wells would be better on his own. As he was better when playing in a lone role than what it seemed he looked alongside Hugill.

But he can do either. And it looked last night he can with Fam. Though still early days. I was worried about fams inability to link up well with Weimann, and thought that may be a problem for Wells in Weimann's place. 

But maybe it's Weimann that was the main problem there. Wells did a much better job at it.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Hugill partnership is the reason why I thought Wells would be better on his own. As he was better when playing in a lone role than what it seemed he looked alongside Hugill.

But he can do either. And it looked last night he can with Fam. Though still early days. I was worried about fams inability to link up well with Weimann, and thought that may be a problem for Wells in Weimann's place. 

But maybe it's Weimann that was the main problem there. Wells did a much better job at it.

Based on last night I don't see why you'd want Wells as a lone striker unless we played with a number 10 just off him. He thrives off through balls and running onto knockdowns. He knows exactly where to be to take advantage of half chances and ricochets.

Players like that usually need thrive off someone like Diedhiou who will do the ugly stuff and create opportunities for Wells to exploit. Because he's relatively small he's not a typical aerial threat and he's probably more dangerous from the knock downs, fudged clearances, ricochets or loose balls that result from crosses. To maximise that opportunity you need someone to aim at like Diedhiou to occupy the defenders and cause havoc. 

Unless you change the system and play Henriksen, Paterson or Palmer just behind him as a 10 - I don't see why you'd consider him as a lone forward on his own.

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Based on last night I don't see why you'd want Wells as a lone striker unless we played with a number 10 just off him. He thrives off through balls and running onto knockdowns. He knows exactly where to be to take advantage of half chances and ricochets.

Players like that usually need thrive off someone like Diedhiou who will do the ugly stuff and create opportunities for Wells to exploit. Because he's relatively small he's not a typical aerial threat and he's probably more dangerous from the knock downs, fudged clearances, ricochets or loose balls that result from crosses. To maximise that opportunity you need someone to aim at like Diedhiou to occupy the defenders and cause havoc. 

Unless you change the system and play Henriksen, Paterson or Palmer just behind him as a 10 - I don't see why you'd consider him as a lone forward on his own.

Because Wells looks very good in the lone role with a creative number 10 in behind.

Last night is just one game. Fam and Wells looked good. But if we ever want to pass the ball better and maybe try and have a bit more control by having the extra midfielder, then it might be best to go Wells with Paterson or Palmer in behind.

Or even Henriksen like you say. Who scored plenty in that role in Holland.

Good options to have. Do we go 442 against Leeds? I'm not so sure. Tricky one for LJ. 

12 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

Jesus your a miserable ****! We won I know you’re desperate for LJ to fail but give him some credit.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds his posts very tedious and repetative at times.

I like a lot of what LJ does...and on the other hand I don't  like a lot of what he does! Haha

But what I do like to try to do is; praise when something is right, as well as moan a bit when something's not right.

On this occasion I can see what he was trying to do. Right or not is a matter of opinion and certainly shouldn't provoke the reaction from Fordy that it did. Any excuse eh?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In summary - he’s sharp, and proactive ??

On 13/02/2020 at 00:30, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was tremendous technique 

Only surpassed , possibly ......and I havnt seen it mentioned elsewhere JD’s perfect cushioned volley to set Wells up  (Hunts initial cross v good too) but what a brilliant bit of skill / technique by Jay

Bloody good goal 

It was. A real gem - so much to admire about it.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Totally agree that these two were an awesome strike partnership, Turner hard as nails and good target man and Taylor was a goal machine 

Add in the fact that Dave Smith and Mark Gavin we’re supplying them from the wings then it was a very entertaining and productive front line 

Archived