IGNORED

The Jack Hunt conundrum.

Prinny

What to do if anything about this player.

Great cross. Have to say that. He does it a lot, so again it's a big strength of ours.

But. But.

Every team just targets our right hand side when he's there.

He's so slow (and knows it), so he starts so far off his man, he never has a hope of stopping a cross, and give them a free run at him.

Obviously the club tried to fix this with Pereira, but he kept making errors so hasn't played in a while.

So what do you do?

Keep playing him and manage it like we have been doing?

Bring in Pereira again?

Something else? (Teach Andy Weimann to play there so he can stay in the team... /s)

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Great cross. Have to say that. He does it a lot, so again it's a big strength of ours.

But. But.

He's so slow (and knows it), so he starts so far off his man, he never has a hope of stopping a cross, and give them a free run at him.

Obviously the club tried to fix this with Pereira, but he kept making errors so hasn't played in a while.

So what do you do?

Bring in Pereira again?

Something else? (Teach Andy Weimann to play there so he can stay in the team... /s)

Upgrade in the summer...a decent champ full back and treated harshly by some imo.

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

Upgrade in the summer...a decent champ full back and treated harshly by some imo.

Maybe Pato and Eliasson should have swapped wings when Derby were getting so much joy down our left in last 30. Pato offered Jay much better protection. Or Weimann sub should have been made earlier, with him sitting in front of Hunt to hassle.

Weak link, two goals coming from our right hand side this evening. Plenty of time and space. I'm not confident with him in there. Having said that, Pereira who was brought in as an upgrade, probably isn't quite what we needed. A conundrum as you rightly say.

We did have Pisano as right back with us last season. I'd say he was better than both Hunt and Pereira. But he's gone...

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I’ve quite liked Pereira as a full back in the games that I have seen, am I missing something?

This is what I'm really confused about. He looks very good imo. He gets tighter to his man, he is quicker and stronger. At 21 he has huge potential too. Should be in the side imo.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

This is what I'm really confused about. He looks very good imo. He gets tighter to his man, he is quicker and stronger. At 21 he has huge potential too. Should be in the side imo.

I never understood why he was binned so quickly 

5 minutes ago, J.V.F said:

What about Kalas when he returns? He's played plenty of games at right back in his career. 

Wasn't aware of that but probably worth a go.  Been wondering how we'd get Kalas, Benkovic and Williams all in the XI without having sodding wingbacks!

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

But. But.

So what do you do?

Bring in Pereira again?

I actually think Weimann would make a great wing back.

I don’t like the way he backs off. He allows the left winger to have time to turn and run at him. That’s why he makes silly fouls, as at that point, he will be done for pace. So he has to.

His best chance is to be tighter and don’t let his opponent turn. This way the winger can only play it to the full back.

2 hours ago, intercity said:

Weak link, two goals coming from our right hand side this evening. Plenty of time and space. I'm not confident with him in there. Having said that, Pereira who was brought in as an upgrade, probably isn't quite what we needed. A conundrum as you rightly say.

We did have Pisano as right back with us last season. I'd say he was better than both Hunt and Pereira. But he's gone...

Pisano wouldn’t be better than either, if they had their legs tied together..! 

Hunt is not the best right back defensively. For their 2nd goal tonight he gave their player far too much room and time to put in the cross. He just kept backing off.

However the problem goes beyond Hunt. Both our wing backs play very narrow defensively, leaving space out wide, while neither Eliasson & Paterson on the wing are particularly good at tracking back and providing cover. We had the same problem against Birmingham and it cost us the game. Tonight we won the game but it cost us both goals.

Archived