Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Prinny

The Jack Hunt conundrum.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t think it’s to do with Flint or Williams per se Dave

Think the full backs defending ‘narrow’ / compact is one of the few consistent in Lees ethos I’ve noticed

i think he sees most sides threat (And probably quite rightly) is sides playing through you moreso than getting in behind or down the sides , and is happy to surrender some crosses confident we have the centre halves to deal with them 

(Interested In @Cowshed ‘s views too)

(Personally I think they are slightly too narrow , especially Hunt who struggles more than JD does when his opponent has the ball at his feet and attacks him - for me it’s not the cross stopping from wide that worries me , it’s them working in / getting in , behind Hunt on his side  (Not helped by what’s in front of him  I accept)

i actually wouldn’t be against Hunt , in front of Pedro , on RHS of a midfield four in a 4-4-2 for certain games 

 

I don’t think it’s every game, but certainly become noticeable since Xmas. Perhaps I’d not really noticed earlier this season because we played 3 CBs half the time.

I haven’t noticed it particularly on Baker’s side.  Last night might have been 1) giving Benkovic (full debut) a big of protection and 2) Waghorn’s desire to come inside into his left foot.

Certainly one to watch going forward. 

  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like this, and i need more of it!

I would love this kind of this detail in evidence.

Who is providing this and can we have more?

Oh ... how much will this cost?

My guess is, it is out of the average support's (consumer's pay reach)

Let us know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all fairness, Tom Larwence is one of the most difficult & skillful mildfielfiers to contain down that side, so Jack Hunt did a great job on him.

I know you haters don't want him in, but he is the 'balls'out', best right back we will have had for a while. Just wait & see!

Please continue your support!

It is important!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't want  a Spoonerism with this thread title. :shocking:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

i like this, and i need more of it!

I would love this kind of this detail in evidence.

Who is providing this and can we have more?

Oh ... how much will this cost?

My guess is, it is out of the average support's (consumer's pay reach)

Let us know!

I only have a Wyscout subscription with very limited video (20mins per month) at £12pm.  James has the full package, something like £100pm.  I get full data/stats for my sub, but the video is where they make their money.

I occasionally create videos like this, but usually just watch them to check certain things.

I created a Diedhiou one v Fulham for Shtanley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Re the OP

I never got to see them play, sadly.

But I hear they were phenomenal at the Isle of Wight festival.

I think I saw them supporting Van Der Graf Generator at the Roundhouse in 1973.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think I saw them supporting Van Der Graf Generator at the Roundhouse in 1973.

The Conundrum never got the credit they deserved.

In fact, who has even heard of them ?    :laugh:

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2020 at 23:58, LocoPal said:

In all fairness, Tom Larwence is one of the most difficult & skillful mildfielfiers to contain down that side, so Jack Hunt did a great job on him.

I know you haters don't want him in, but he is the 'balls'out', best right back we will have had for a while. Just wait & see!

Please continue your support!

It is important!

I have made one post (ever) regarding this player due to another poster asking for an opinion.

Hater? 

What do you think of the points raised? How can you be balls out when narrowing down? Was the player balls out v crosses and defending one v one?

My opinion is I  would like to see the player being more aggressive defending crosses in wide positions. I like the team getting compact and screening, but when the ball enters particular zones I would like to see the full backs (the team) defending situationally.

The defending v the first goal. The full back position is debatably affecting little.

Hunts defending v the second goal was? Well it goes against defensive principles. You get out quicker in that zone and defend that situation by not backing off and giving your opponent three metres = Deny, dictate and maybe delay. 

 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2020 at 00:46, Davefevs said:

I only have a Wyscout subscription with very limited video (20mins per month) at £12pm.  James has the full package, something like £100pm.  I get full data/stats for my sub, but the video is where they make their money.

I occasionally create videos like this, but usually just watch them to check certain things.

I created a Diedhiou one v Fulham for Shtanley.

I've seen that James guy on twitter, interesting account. Lots of great highlight videos too. Does he post here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I have made one post (ever) regarding this player due to another poster asking for an opinion.

Hater? 

What do you think of the points raised? How can you be balls out when narrowing down? Was the player balls out v crosses and defending one v one?

My opinion is I  would like to see the player being more aggressive defending crosses in wide positions. I like the team getting compact and screening but when the ball enters particular zones would like to see the full backs (the teams) defending situationally.

Hunts defending v the second goal was? Well it goes against defensive principles. You get out quicker in that zone and defend that situation by not backing off and giving your opponent three metres = Deny, dictate and maybe delay. 

Please just see this as feedback, feel free to ignore. I think the issue is your posts can come across a bit like you're lecturing people so might turn people off. Just my opinion but it's a shame because obviously you know your stuff so would probably be very informative for people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Please just see this as feedback, feel free to ignore. I think the issue is your posts can come across a bit like you're lecturing people so might turn people off. Just my opinion but it's a shame because obviously you know your stuff so would probably be very informative for people.

The questions are reasonable how can you be balls out when backing off? How is the player affecting the player in possession?

Hater? 

It can be a challenge responding to that level politely. I chose to be polite. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

The questions are reasonable how can you be balls out when backing off? How is the player affecting the player in possession?

Hater? 

It can be a challenge responding to that level politely. I chose to be polite. 

 

I'm not necessarily referring to your posts in this thread, just generally. I think your writing style comes across as a bit unfriendly which may be why you've received that particular response.

Of course it's totally up to you how you post on this forum, just my 2c. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shouting get out to him man. hate me?? City need to get about opponents more when their around the box. that is not leave a mark on them but get out to them and put more pressure on. that Lawrence ?? on the left hand side got an easy ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2020 at 00:06, marmite said:

I posted on another thread about our full backs being too narrow. Cost us 2 goals tonight. I played full back in my youth and I stuck so close to my winger we could have shared a pair of shorts. 

 

I think its a LJ tactic? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Cowshed on his views.

I also agree with Foggy on his reaction.

I'm also guilty with my writing style of coming across as cold...it's not intended.

Re our 'fullbacks'...they aren't really that in the traditional mode.

Hunt and DaSilva and Pedro are all wing backs imo. They have been brought in to be effective going forward. They suit a 3412 or 3151 more than a straight 442.

Both aren't proactive enough or aggressive enough, with speed, in trying to close down or block a cross coming over.

It's way too easy for balls to be crossed in with accuracy and time to do it. They have on many occasions had little effect on balls being crossed in. No urgency by either of them to stop crosses. Jogging into that position and sticking a leg out is not good enough.

It's the same when some of our forwards press with a jog...it has little effect on the outcome as the opposition has so much time to deliver a pass or cross.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Korey when at right back has shown he is very good defensively. Our best one on one player defensively according to LJ. I agree with that.  

Against Man City in the 2nd fixture he played there and was as comfortable as one could be against Sane considering how all over us they were for most of the game.

I think Korey was our man of the match at right back against Huddersfield when we won 4-0.

He was outstanding in the 2-1 win at right back at home to Cardiff. No coincidence O'Dowda was man of the match on the right wing in front of Korey.

Thinking back to this forum when discussing Korey after a game he has looked so good at right back the argument from most has been 'he's too important in midfield'. Not 'he's not good at right back'.

Maybe it's still the case we need him in midfield, who knows.

I think it's an option. Though I do like Pereira. Korey has certainly shown to be a very solid right back, who is obviously very good in his link up play and work rate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thinking back to this forum when discussing Korey after a game he has looked so good at right back the argument from most has been 'he's too important in midfield'. Not 'he's not good at right back'.

Maybe it's still the case we need him in midfield, who knows.

I think it's an option. Though I do like Pereira. Korey has certainly shown to be a very solid right back, who is obviously very good in his link up play and work rate. 

Smith is too valuable in midfield to be playing at RB and I can’t see why some posters have and issue with Yorick. I think he’s a very capable full back who tends to play more as a wing back with him bombing up the wing.

Like all wing backs he can get caught out of position but his team mates should automatically fill the vacant area - that’s  basic defending taught at schoolboy level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've seen that James guy on twitter, interesting account. Lots of great highlight videos too. Does he post here?

No, he doesn’t.  He’s happy for me to plagiarise some of his stuff on my “what can we expect” threads.  He was the guy that got me into looking at Wyscout data / subscription.  You can blame @Coppello for Statszone and @spudski for Whoscored. 😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Smith is too valuable in midfield to be playing at RB and I can’t see why some posters have and issue with Yorick. I think he’s a very capable full back who tends to play more as a wing back with him bombing up the wing.

Like all wing backs he can get caught out of position but his team mates should automatically fill the vacant area - that’s  basic defending taught at schoolboy level.

He might well be too valuable in midfield.

It depends on if Massengo and Nagy can find consistency as with Henriksen here too, it may be that we could go with Korey at right back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He might well be too valuable in midfield.

It depends on if Massengo and Nagy can find consistency as with Henriksen here too, it may be that we could go with Korey at right back.

As long as Korey keeps playing decently enough, I’d offer him another year for his versatility...that RB position is a longer term prob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He might well be too valuable in midfield.

It depends on if Massengo and Nagy can find consistency as with Henriksen here too, it may be that we could go with Korey at right back.

Well......most of us agree that both Nagy and Massengo are currently too lightweight for the hurly burly of a Championship midfield. Both very talented footballers but both could do with an extra stone of weight.

Massengo is still growing and hopefully Nagy is working hard on his upper body strength in the gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Jack Hunt you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth. 
 

Rewatch the QPR goal. That could go either way... Hunt shit, or Hunt brilliant. 
 

He streams through to challenge for a 50/50. He loses, they break really dangerously. He wins and he puts over a cross where Fammy can’t miss his header 😉 

 

If Hunt had the same defensive capability as he did attacking prowess, he’d be Prem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...