IGNORED

Rooney (Merged)

Up The City!

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So with Wayne Rooneys Derby coming to town next week, what sort of reaction will he get at the gate?

Personally I'd be tempted to give him a little clap pre match for his England achievements but after that he gets 90 mins of abuse.

I doubt he'll get much of a reception really, no history with our club. Probably get slightly louder jeers if he makes a mistake given his profile but that's about it.

I think he was a brilliant player, seemed to peak far too early though. 

50 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

So with Wayne Rooneys Derby coming to town next week, what sort of reaction will he get at the gate?

Personally I'd be tempted to give him a little clap pre match for his England achievements but after that he gets 90 mins of abuse.

If you want to give him the clap pre game, you carry on, anything that limits his performance on the pitch....

58 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Are you the sort of person that stands with a sign saying ROONEY CAN I HAVE YOUR SHIRT

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I doubt he'll get much of a reception really, no history with our club. Probably get slightly louder jeers if he makes a mistake given his profile but that's about it.

I think he was a brilliant player, seemed to peak far too early though. 

He peeked to early because he started so young.

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The same as any other opposition player with no connection to us, complete indifference.

Booing him would look a bit tinpot mind.

It maybe so that he has no direct connection to Bristol City, but as England's leading all time leading goal scorer he does have a connection to us England supporters. 

It would be classless and tinpot, not to give the guy an appreciative round of applause, for his England career. 
During the 90 mins, he’s just an opposition player. But either side of that, I’ll acknowledge his achievements with a clap and hope it reflects well on our club amongst other high profile players. 

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It maybe so that he has no direct connection to Bristol City, but as England's leading all time leading goal scorer he does have a connection to us England supporters. 

Having been sat in the stands for his performances v Algeria in Cape Town 2010, and v Iceland in Nice 2016, he gets no free pass, or special dispensation from me.

And in any event, Bristol City > England all day, every day.

I don’t think his England stuff is relevant to me in a City match v Derby.  Will be applauding City players, and if Derby player, Rooney or not, does something brilliant I’ll acknowledge it.

I do hate “Wayne Rooney’s Derby County”. When it was Lampard, although it annoyed me, he was the manager, so it made sense.

Wouldn't mind Rooney getting a 32Red!!!!

I was talking to my 8 year old about Rooney this morning as he said that he hoped he’d get injured/sent off Saturday and not be able to play.

The point I made to him is that although we go to see City, hope City win and frankly hope Rooney has a stinker, the fact is he’d still be seeing England’s all time top scorer on our pitch. I remember seeing Gullit play at AG, Suarez etc and those are moments of “I saw them”. We all have them with Gazza, Charlton, Matthews or whoever you rate - the names that transcend football. 

Fact is, Rooney didn’t fulfil his potential and his off pitch antics are questionable. But he’s in the conversation as the best English player in the last 20 years, and is the all time top scorer for the country’s biggest club and the national team.

Reception? Will I applaud him - nah, it’s not a farewell tour. Do I want him to have a mare - yes, I’m City. But will I be glad to say I’ve seen him - yep.

Archived