IGNORED

Rooney (Merged)

Up The City!

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was talking to my 8 year old about Rooney this morning as he said that he hoped he’d get injured/sent off Saturday and not be able to play.

The point I made to him is that although we go to see City, hope City win and frankly hope Rooney has a stinker, the fact is he’d still be seeing England’s all time top scorer on our pitch. I remember seeing Gullit play at AG, Suarez etc and those are moments of “I saw them”. We all have them with Gazza, Charlton, Matthews or whoever you rate - the names that transcend football. 

Fact is, Rooney didn’t fulfil his potential and his off pitch antics are questionable. But he’s in the conversation as the best English player in the last 20 years, and is the all time top scorer for the country’s biggest club and the national team.

Reception? Will I applaud him - nah, it’s not a farewell tour. Do I want him to have a mare - yes, I’m City. But will I be glad to say I’ve seen him - yep.

Captured my thoughts exactly. 

He's just an opponent like any other, so no need to single him out for any kind of reception.

But also a pleasure to witness an undoubted England Legend make his second appearance at the gate. 

I saw him play in 2001 in an u17 international against Spain if memory serves me

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

He is already getting a reaction. He is the only reason some will be attending. The company I work part share a executive twelve seat box there is a waiting list from all who use it since Rooney joined Derby!!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if he tweaked a muscle and couldn't play  

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Wayne Rooney can get in the sea quite frankly after his performance at the World Cup in SA in 2010. He was never that good anyway.  

Damn right. 
Lost any respect for him at the South Africa World Cup. 
As you say - get in the sea! 

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think his England stuff is relevant to me in a City match v Derby.  Will be applauding City players, and if Derby player, Rooney or not, does something brilliant I’ll acknowledge it.

I do hate “Wayne Rooney’s Derby County”. When it was Lampard, although it annoyed me, he was the manager, so it made sense.

Wouldn't mind Rooney getting a 32Red!!!!

Exactly my thoughts. Not relevant in a league game.

If anything clapping will make it look like our fans are in awe of Derby's talisman.

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

ugly, granny poking, thieving has-been. 

Further, played in the generation when international football totally lost its magic. Never cared for him, care for him even less now. 

Another player who loves to give dogs abuse to refs. 

No respect from me whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was talking to my 8 year old about Rooney this morning as he said that he hoped he’d get injured/sent off Saturday and not be able to play.

The point I made to him is that although we go to see City, hope City win and frankly hope Rooney has a stinker, the fact is he’d still be seeing England’s all time top scorer on our pitch. I remember seeing Gullit play at AG, Suarez etc and those are moments of “I saw them”. We all have them with Gazza, Charlton, Matthews or whoever you rate - the names that transcend football. 

Fact is, Rooney didn’t fulfil his potential and his off pitch antics are questionable. But he’s in the conversation as the best English player in the last 20 years, and is the all time top scorer for the country’s biggest club and the national team.

Reception? Will I applaud him - nah, it’s not a farewell tour. Do I want him to have a mare - yes, I’m City. But will I be glad to say I’ve seen him - yep.

I'm not so bothered about Rooney, perhaps because I've seen him play for England a few times, but I got that feeling when our league cup run saw the likes of Ibrahimovic, Aguero and De Bruyne at Ashton Gate, not to mention Pep and Jose. It was totally surreal. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Wayne Rooney can get in the sea quite frankly after his performance at the World Cup in SA in 2010. He was never that good anyway.  

England’s all time record goal scorer “was never that good anyway”..?! 

Don’t you just hate those flash in the pan players who turn up for for 2 decades, smash international, domestic & European records and then disappear back into oblivion again...! 

39 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

England’s all time record goal scorer “was never that good anyway”..?! 

Don’t you just hate those flash in the pan players who turn up for for 2 decades, smash international, domestic & European records and then disappear back into oblivion again...! 

A solitary goal in a World Cup & 6 in the Euros. Loads in qualification games against vastly inferior teams and he also seemed to like playing Andorra. I'm not a fan. 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

A solitary goal in a World Cup & 6 in the Euros. Loads in qualification games against vastly inferior teams and he also seemed to like playing Andorra. I'm not a fan. 

I don't mean this to sound cocky, but I always thought when I saw England play live Rooney's all round game was better to see.

The amount of work that he put in off the ball was immense and rarely ever came across that way on TV

I think now that the "all time records" have to be qualified by goals/runs wickets to matches played. Wayne scored 53 in 120 matches compared to Bobby Charlton 49 in 106 matches.

With cricket the records are meaningless when there used to be one tour in the winter and one in the summer compared to virtually all year around now.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

shrek GIFNot a very professional reaction Wayne .

Images courtesy of RobinsTV. 

Wayne's put his money on a 1-1 draw. See, he knows we are no push over these days.

BTW Has anybody got the stats concerning Wayne Rooney's box entries? Just curious..

Not a game to bring your grandmother to I would suggest.

I will treat Rooney the same as any opposition player, which is largely to ignore them and boo them where necessary.

Fans giving an opposition stick probably only motivates them more.  It would if I were getting stick from opposition fans. He could be wound up enough to get himself sent off though and maybe that's the message Lee might be giving to our players.

I was staying in the same hotel as the England team in Slovenia a couple of years ago. I asked multi millionaire Rooney if he’d sign an England baseball cap for my son, but he walked straight past and blanked me like I was shit on his shoe. Then Jack Wiltshire did exactly the same. We support them when they’re playing for england but as people they’re nothing special. I’ll remember that when I see him next week.

Overrated player imo. Was briefly maybe world class over short period of his career. But I would say there were always a handful of strikers on another level to him in world football.

He was awful in every tournament except his first for England.

Not sure why anyone would clap him. Maybe it's all the United fans that will be.

Archived