IGNORED

Rooney (Merged)

Up The City!

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

England’s all time record goal scorer “was never that good anyway”..?! 

Don’t you just hate those flash in the pan players who turn up for for 2 decades, smash international, domestic & European records and then disappear back into oblivion again...! 

Also did a hell of a lot of twattish things that cost us games. I followed England home and away during most of his career and I've never been that fussed with him tbh.

In fact only one memorable performance in a friendly at Celtic Park against Scotland springs to mind. 

Never seemed to do it in the big games against the top sides. 

Very good player for England, no doubt, but if he starts trying to spark a reaction (as I'm sure he will) next Weds he's getting pelters from me.

I think Rooney is an odd case. I think he was always a great player and one of the best we have ever had - its just that despite getting to a very high level, he still never quite lived up to what he looked like he could be. The way he burst on the scene at Everton, Euro 2004 and the very start of his Man U career he looked like he might get to the level of a Ronaldo or a Messi. I think for me and a lot of people  there is a weird gap in what It looked like he could become and where he ended up. Euro 2004 (before he got injured) he was only 17 and at times looked like he might win the tournament for us single handed. 

Hopefully he’ll repeatedly drop deep and chip a ball to their right winger when he has yards of space in front of him, forcing the winger to stop and trap the ball, rather than receive the ball to feet and have the opportunity to attack down our left - used to call this a Rooney special when he played for England

A great goal scorer yet also incredibly frustrating to watch at times for England 

5 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think Rooney is an odd case. I think he was always a great player and one of the best we have ever had - its just that despite getting to a very high level, he still never quite lived up to what he looked like he could be. The way he burst on the scene at Everton, Euro 2004 and the very start of his Man U career he looked like he might get to the level of a Ronaldo or a Messi. I think for me and a lot of people  there is a weird gap in what It looked like he could become and where he ended up. Euro 2004 (before he got injured) he was only 17 and at times looked like he might win the tournament for us single handed. 

Alex Ferguson is one of the greatest managers but I never liked how he turned Rooney into a player that played deeper. Its possibly helped to prolong his career but I'd rather they would have developed him as an out and out striker. It's like he had his natural game coached out of him and we saw him play more restrained and within himself. 

It only seems like yesterday that he smashed a hat trick on his debut in the Champions League against Fenerbahce. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It's worth pointing out, Rooney has 53 goals from 120 games. Henry, widely considered the greatest ever Premier League striker had a record of 51 goals in 123 games, you would imagine that France had very similar fixtures to our own. 

Good bit of copy and paste there :sub:

He was obviously a very good player. And I'm grateful for his good work in an England shirt. But it's not like we're being blessed with the presence of CR7 or Ronaldinho. I certainly won't feel star struck and will treat him like any other opposition player. Hope he has an absolute stinker. 

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Alex Ferguson is one of the greatest managers but I never liked how he turned Rooney into a player that played deeper. Its possibly helped to prolong his career but I'd rather they would have developed him as an out and out striker. It's like he had his natural game coached out of him and we saw him play more restrained and within himself. 

It only seems like yesterday that he smashed a hat trick on his debut in the Champions League against Fenerbahce. 

Mother nature took away Wayne Rooney's pace. At the Euro championships in Portugal as a teen he would outpace players. He was running speeds up to 21mph. That is not extreme, but it is pacy . As he matured he slowed. Alex Ferguson playing him deeper made sense and it could utilise his range of passing. By the end he was clearly lacking fitness and mobility, and possibly commitment/motivation in a failing frame that would not meet the possibilities of his technical ability.

At DC Utd he enjoyed a renaissance in a lower standard of MLS football playing as a withdrawn (9/10 sort of) forward with pacy players working off him.

In regards to reception players I work with and coach are being given time off training to instead watch and study a player who at times was great. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Mother nature took away Wayne Rooney's pace. At the Euro championships in Portugal as a teen he would outpace players. He was running speeds up to 21mph. That is not extreme, but it is pacy . As he matured he slowed. Alex Ferguson playing him deeper made sense and it could utilise his range of passing. By the end he was clearly lacking fitness and mobility, and possibly commitment/motivation in a failing frame that would not meet the possibilities of his technical ability.

At DC Utd he enjoyed a renaissance in a lower standard of MLS football playing as a withdrawn (9/10 sort of) forward with pacy players working off him.

In regards to reception players I work with and coach are being given time off training to instead watch and study a player who at times was great. 

Just imagine if he had had the training ethic of Cristiano Ronaldo and not Ricky Hatton. No question he had bucket-loads of ability, but despite all he did achieve, I can't help but think there should have been more.

On 05/02/2020 at 10:14, Phileas Fogg said:

I doubt he'll get much of a reception really, no history with our club. Probably get slightly louder jeers if he makes a mistake given his profile but that's about it.

I think he was a brilliant player, seemed to peak far too early though. 

Sounds like my ex-wife's description of me! 

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just imagine if he had had the training ethic of Cristiano Ronaldo and not Ricky Hatton. No question he had bucket-loads of ability, but despite all he did achieve, I can't help but think there should have been more.

It is an unfair comparison as Wayne Rooney's body shape is different. Rooney inherited a shape that does not stop people playing but in later years can be problematic in football. 

How do you get bucket loads of ability? Work. Wayne Rooney is super skilled and that only comes from having a very high work ethic. 

Wayne Rooney is a super achiever. He is not topically Ravel Morrison.

His football at times in America was still remarkable scoring brilliant free kicks, goals from his own half and a assist that was maybe unique. Now he is trying and having success in yet another role pinging Scholes like balls around the pitch .. We can feel he could/should have done more or admire what he did and continues to. 

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is an unfair comparison as Wayne Rooney's body shape is different. Rooney inherited a shape that does not stop people playing but in later years can be problematic in football. 

How do you get bucket loads of ability? Work. Wayne Rooney is super skilled and that only comes from having a very high work ethic. 

Wayne Rooney is a super achiever. He is not topically Ravel Morrison.

His football at times in America was still remarkable scoring brilliant free kicks, goals from his own half and a assist that was maybe unique. Now he is trying and having success in yet another role pinging Scholes like balls around the pitch .. We can feel he could/should have done more or admire what he did and continues to. 

I purposely didn't compare physiques between him and Ronaldo, rather the dedication to physical training. I agree that there are huge differences between the 2.

32 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I purposely didn't compare physiques between him and Ronaldo, rather the dedication to physical training. I agree that there are huge differences between the 2.

Ronaldo is an absolute freak of nature tho. He is absolutely obsessed by achieving success. Doesn't he sleep for like a hour and a half in the foetal position in a pod with fresh bedding for a few times a day? Think he has a stick diet of something like Chicken and avocado which he also eats a few times a day. All that is done to achieve optimum performance. I doubt very few footballers have ever gone to those extremes.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

And look at the base they started with. All the worlds physical training would not turn Rooney into what Ronaldo became. 

Rooney's physique, advantage or disadvantage? You run. How many top class runners look like Rooney in long or medium distances? Sprints?

Despite his physique he has still excelled. In his sport he is a % of a % yet viewed on this thread as a failure. Maybe with an alien like focus he could have achieved even more. It is a harsh view.

Archived