IGNORED

Rooney (Merged)

Up The City!

Best player on pitch? Don’t get me wrong you could see his quality but thought he was extremely passive for the most part. Didn’t help defend at all and was generally safe passing sideways or backwards. Now when he went forward he was quality but thought he could have taken more risks to help them when they were down 3-0 3-1. 

I thought he was decent, we gave him a little too much space but he did pretty well. That said he's an ex International, so you know he can play, he can pass, his touch is going to be good. Reminded me a little of Wade Elliot, got it , moved it and kept things ticking. 
Nice to see someone with a similar physique to me (if not fitness) playing football. 

10 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Luxury player, who wants the Stevie G quarterback role for his final payday. We didn't put anyone on him, but in the end, not sure we needed to. 

Spot on. He was a spare man in their midfield and we gave him time and space.

His passing was outstanding. But he is definitely a luxury player. 

He might look good but there's things the team miss as well as the things they gain with him in there.

23 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Thought he was good. Very clever movement. No idea why anyone booed him

Even more bizarre was those same people then clapping him when he took a corner. ******* weirdos. Same bunch that clap Holloway whilst booing our own team probably :laugh: 

As for Wazza, thought he was excellent and seemed to be playing about 6 positions. 

For me if you have a player like Rooney he has to play as a 10. Why have him dictating the play from an 8 position when you could have him in that hole further up the pitch pulling the strings? Also as an 8 he’s simply too old to keep tracking back so can be found out in that sense too.

Oh well what do I know, eh?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone explain the booing? 

I could.

If you were at England vs Algeria in World Cup 2010, you would know.

He was a complete failure that night, and then swore at the fans at the end of the game and was generally a teat.

Come to think of it, he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

31 minutes ago, nickolas said:

So, what we thinking?!

Thought he was ok, they were so obvious playing everything through him. 
However, what a self obsessed moaning ####er! Spent the entire game moaning at the referee. 
Billy big bollox didnt get what he wanted tonight. 

Every team, including us, has a player chirping in the referees ear all night. Usually for us it's Andi Weimann. 

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The company paid for his transfer, that’s also why he has the number 32 on his back. Plus Derby pay him as a player/coach meaning they only have to contribute half his wages towards FFP.

Oh i see, thanks for explaining. I assumed he'd signed for Derby on the cheap because he wanted to become a coach

6 minutes ago, cityred2000 said:

For me if you have a player like Rooney he has to play as a 10. Why have him dictating the play from an 8 position when you could have him in that hole further up the pitch pulling the strings? Also as an 8 he’s simply too old to keep tracking back so can be found out in that sense too.

Oh well what do I know, eh?

Derby overload the centre of the pitch and withdraw Rooney into a sort of pivot role where he can drop off and be a constant option. He was that constant option and controlled midfield tonight. He will be 35 this year and in this role he saves his legs. 

13 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I could.

He was a complete failure that night, and then swore at the fans at the end of the game and was generally a teat.

Come to think of it, he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

I was in Cape Town for the Algeria game in 2010. I was also in Lisbon and Coimbra at Euro 2004 when Rooney was outstanding - and quite possibly the best player in the tournament.  

However much I was annoyed at Rooney in 2010, it’s wide of the make to say he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

22 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I could.

I was there. 

I started the clap when he came over to take the corner early on. 

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Derby overload the centre of the pitch and withdraw Rooney into a sort of pivot role where he can drop off and be a constant option. He was that constant option and controlled midfield tonight. He will be 35 this year and in this role he saves his legs. 

Saw this as well, but I almost felt as if they were missing his creativity moving forwards. Mainly because the front 4 or 5 were waiting for him to do something.

It was obvious he's played at the top level. His movement, cute passes to keep possession and a few dangerous incisive balls over the top.

Felt from Derby's perspective he was a bit wasted playing so deep, would cause defences more to think about in a 10 playing a free role between the lines. Dangerous from dead balls too.

Archived