IGNORED

Rooney (Merged)

Up The City!

Glad it wasn't just me. I didn't go last night , few reasons, so watched it on TV , **** me cream fest was right.
I lost count of the loving descriptions of any little thing he did , immaculate , running the show , left the Prem too early.
Simple ball moved out wide , ? ooo intelligent ball from Rooney ? it was sickening. 
Always thought Parry was a good commentator , maybe he should stick with the Prem and leave 'proper' football alone.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Glad it wasn't just me. I didn't go last night , few reasons, so watched it on TV , **** me cream fest was right.
I lost count of the loving descriptions of any little thing he did , immaculate , running the show , left the Prem too early.
Simple ball moved out wide , ? ooo intelligent ball from Rooney ? it was sickening. 
Always thought Parry was a good commentator , maybe he should stick with the Prem and leave 'proper' football alone.

I thought parrys commentary was the worst i have ever heard sounded like he was only given the game a minute before it kicked off and the only player he knew was rooney  

• The title was changed to Rooney (Merged)
1 hour ago, grifty said:

It wasn't the obsession with Rooney I found crazy, but the amount of errors he made because I don't think he knew who any of our players were. Off the top of my head mistakes were;

1) Calling Bentley Hamer

2) Calling Eliason Ellison

3) Calling Eliason Dasilva

4) LJ is unhappy that Waghorn has been booked

5) A win or draw will lift us into the play offs despite Preston playing

6) The many different versions of Fammys name

7) Going 3-0 up was a 'turnaround'

Got Pato and Wells the wrong way round a couple of times as well!

11 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I was there. 

I started the clap when he came over to take the corner early on. 

Then you Sir , are wrong .

Did you want the great Wayne Rooney to score ? 

He was an opposition player and shouldn’t be encouraged during or before the match .

Give à clap after the game if you really must but I found the episode embarrassing .

I found the occasional booing of Rooney rather tinpot and embarrassing last night.

OK to laugh at him when he fluffed his shot and fell over trying to keep the ball in, and obviously don't clap an opponent, but the bloke did nothing to deserve boos.

In a way, I was glad he was there. Derby's insistence throughout the first half of stopping attacks just inside our half and passing back to WR for him to make that inch perfect pass actually slowed down their game and allowed our defence to get back in position. 

At one point Rooney passed a ball about 10 yards pretty much side ways under no pressure near the half way line and that Gimp Hendrie described it as 'majestic' WTAF! Rooney did ok overall but anyone with his ability would look ok playing so deep with no press in the first half. The love in shown by Parry and Hendrie was cringeworthy at best.

Was chatting to one of my mates who’s an Everton fan last night after the game and we both thought he would be far more effective upfront for Derby.

You want players with his quality in and around the box. You could see ability wise he was by far the most talented player on the pitch but us like most clubs will be happy with him getting on the ball in his own half most the game.

4 hours ago, grifty said:

It wasn't the obsession with Rooney I found crazy, but the amount of errors he made because I don't think he knew who any of our players were. Off the top of my head mistakes were;

1) Calling Bentley Hamer

2) Calling Eliason Ellison

3) Calling Eliason Dasilva

4) LJ is unhappy that Waghorn has been booked

5) A win or draw will lift us into the play offs despite Preston playing

6) The many different versions of Fammys name

7) Going 3-0 up was a 'turnaround'

Also kept saying that we lost to Birmingham last SATURDAY!! And, as you state, just because WRDC had more possession in the first-half hour during which they mustered about one shot on target and a couple off target from long range, made it appear that City had been incredibly fortunate to survive that mullering and go two goals up (despite the fact that he'd earlier stated that City were a team who soak up pressure and hit on the counter and were always second best possession wise in all their matches). Yet he went on to say something along the lines that nothing ever surprises him about football. 

There is no doubt that Rooney is still a good player, but I feel his positive influence on the Derby team is over estimated. At times last nights match was like watching a school match where one player is far better than the others and is the captain. The rest of the team feel they must always pass to him every time they get the  ball. In the first half Derby had over    60% possession, but approx 30% of that was Rooney passing the ball in and around the halfway line. The result was the Derby style of play made it easy for City to defend, as it was so slow. City can successfully defend against slow passing teams, but struggle when confronted by teams that play at pace on the break. The two Derby goals came when Derby attacked at pace and not through Rooney’s slow passing game in midfield. 

In the first half I thought it strange that LJ didn’t instruct a City player to closely mark Rooney. Later I thought it was a tactical masterstroke as he allowed Rooney to slow down Derby’s attack which played into City’s hands 

23 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Also kept saying that we lost to Birmingham last SATURDAY!! And, as you state, just because WRDC had more possession in the first-half hour during which they mustered about one shot on target and a couple off target from long range, made it appear that City had been incredibly fortunate to survive that mullering and go two goals up (despite the fact that he'd earlier stated that City were a team who soak up pressure and hit on the counter and were always second best possession wise in all their matches). Yet he went on to say something along the lines that nothing ever surprises him about football. 

The thing about these commentators getting names wrong - is it’s not only down to the individual commentator it’s down to the poor support provided by the broadcaster to ensure the commentator and pundit get the names pronounced correctly!

Sky must have a Team who help put together the various commentary teams for games, and will know if there are any players who have names where an explanation is needed, to advise the match “team”, on how to pronounce them correctly.  Sky really shouldn’t want their commentators getting it wrong all the time.

To be honest - Radio Bristol aren’t much better - Chris Honor can’t pronounce Diédhiou’s name correctly and he professes to be a City fan. I have previously sent both Geoff 20Man and Chris H a message on Twitter pleading with them both to get it right!  

Both of the above are basic when it comes to broadcasting standards!!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

There is no doubt that Rooney is still a good player, but I feel his positive influence on the Derby team is over estimated. At times last nights match was like watching a school match where one player is far better than the others and is the captain. The rest of the team feel they must always pass to him every time they get the  ball. In the first half Derby had over    60% possession, but approx 30% of that was Rooney passing the ball in and around the halfway line. The result was the Derby style of play made it easy for City to defend, as it was so slow. City can successfully defend against slow passing teams, but struggle when confronted by teams that play at pace on the break. The two Derby goals came when Derby attacked at pace and not through Rooney’s slow passing game in midfield. 

In the first half I thought it strange that LJ didn’t instruct a City player to closely mark Rooney. Later I thought it was a tactical masterstroke as he allowed Rooney to slow down Derby’s attack which played into City’s hands 

You could reverse It. Bristol City by getting compact slowed the game down. Derby play 4-2-3-1and attempt to attack down the middle and use switches to the flanks. Rooney positions himself in the two in relation to the possession looking to break lines and switch. By sitting off him and Derby there is no space to play into, and its difficult to generate tempo. Rooney was generally playing one and two touch and forward but in a game that was being slowed down by the opposition. Rooney was almost immaculate in possession but also not as effective as he has been previously when teams push up.  

18 hours ago, marcofisher said:

We don’t use it to bypass FFP rules.

Good to know. Neither did we

The company paid for his transfer, that’s also why he has the number 32 on his back.

Wrong. We receive more in sponsorship money. It tends to happen when you receive more publicity. It help when there's a 'big player' clause in a sponsorship deal.

Plus Derby pay him as a player/coach meaning they only have to contribute half his wages towards FFP.

You really don't have a clue do you? That rule only applies to L1/2 clubs - those league have different financial rules to the Championship. Every penny of Rooney's wages count towards P&S

19 minutes ago, AnotherDerbyFan said:

Good to know. Neither did we

Wrong. We receive more in sponsorship money. It tends to happen when you receive more publicity. It help when there's a 'big player' clause in a sponsorship deal.

You really don't have a clue do you? That rule only applies to L1/2 clubs - those league have different financial rules to the Championship. Every penny of Rooney's wages count towards P&S

I got the last one wrong, apologies. 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I found the occasional booing of Rooney rather tinpot and embarrassing last night.

OK to laugh at him when he fluffed his shot and fell over trying to keep the ball in, and obviously don't clap an opponent, but the bloke did nothing to deserve boos.

In a way, I was glad he was there. Derby's insistence throughout the first half of stopping attacks just inside our half and passing back to WR for him to make that inch perfect pass actually slowed down their game and allowed our defence to get back in position. 

Looking back, Rooney was pulling the strings and his range of passing and vision was a joy to watch but in this division teams will press and get wise to the fact that Rooney is the focal point and as the game goes on and very much like last night they get caught out on occasions and end up conceding because they appear to only know or are coached to play one way. It could gave easily have been 5 or 6 last night. Derby may have looked pretty at times but what impressed me was how we kept our shape and limited them to very little in spite of their possession and struck back ruthlessly 

Archived