Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Up The City!

Rooney (Merged)

4 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Luxury player, who wants the Stevie G quarterback role for his final payday. We didn't put anyone on him, but in the end, not sure we needed to. 

Not sure about that, I think we took a real risk not doing that.

Best player on pitch? Don’t get me wrong you could see his quality but thought he was extremely passive for the most part. Didn’t help defend at all and was generally safe passing sideways or backwards. Now when he went forward he was quality but thought he could have taken more risks to help them when they were down 3-0 3-1. 

• Like 2

I thought he was decent, we gave him a little too much space but he did pretty well. That said he's an ex International, so you know he can play, he can pass, his touch is going to be good. Reminded me a little of Wade Elliot, got it , moved it and kept things ticking. 
Nice to see someone with a similar physique to me (if not fitness) playing football. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone explain the booing? 

Bet 32 or whatever the company is that pays for him to be there.

Nothing against Rooney, but the circumstances under which mean he is on that pitch are disgraceful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Luxury player, who wants the Stevie G quarterback role for his final payday. We didn't put anyone on him, but in the end, not sure we needed to. 

Spot on. He was a spare man in their midfield and we gave him time and space.

His passing was outstanding. But he is definitely a luxury player. 

He might look good but there's things the team miss as well as the things they gain with him in there.

Thought he was excellent for Derby . Made the game look so easy . Always had time on the ball which is skill in itself. As for booing him waste of time. I enjoyed watching him play tonight 

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Nothing against Rooney, but the circumstances under which mean he is on that pitch are disgraceful.

Fair enough.  Personally think his achievements outweigh any of that and the applause from some was more justified 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, handballbygordonparr said:

Though Rooney was very god at times but still chuckling at the Parry love in - "cleverly won throw in" on 92 mins when Rowe cut out his pass.  

That's lazy commentating - Cleverley wasn't even playing

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Fair enough.  Personally think his achievements outweigh any of that and the applause from some was more justified 

Agree, I wasn’t there so can’t really comment and wouldn’t have booed.

23 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Thought he was good. Very clever movement. No idea why anyone booed him

Even more bizarre was those same people then clapping him when he took a corner. ******* weirdos. Same bunch that clap Holloway whilst booing our own team probably :laugh: 

As for Wazza, thought he was excellent and seemed to be playing about 6 positions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Unbelievable hypocrisy if true. Our club is sponsored by a betting firm

• Like 1

For me if you have a player like Rooney he has to play as a 10. Why have him dictating the play from an 8 position when you could have him in that hole further up the pitch pulling the strings? Also as an 8 he’s simply too old to keep tracking back so can be found out in that sense too.

Oh well what do I know, eh?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone explain the booing? 

I could.

If you were at England vs Algeria in World Cup 2010, you would know.

He was a complete failure that night, and then swore at the fans at the end of the game and was generally a teat.

Come to think of it, he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No he didn't. didn't see a misplaced pass all night

Was going to reply the same. Be interested to see his stats and pass completion % if anyone has access?

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh i see, i didn't know

The company paid for his transfer, that’s also why he has the number 32 on his back. Plus Derby pay him as a player/coach meaning they only have to contribute half his wages towards FFP.

Edited by marcofisher

31 minutes ago, nickolas said:

So, what we thinking?!

Thought he was ok, they were so obvious playing everything through him. 
However, what a self obsessed moaning ####er! Spent the entire game moaning at the referee. 
Billy big bollox didnt get what he wanted tonight. 

Every team, including us, has a player chirping in the referees ear all night. Usually for us it's Andi Weimann. 

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The company paid for his transfer, that’s also why he has the number 32 on his back. Plus Derby pay him as a player/coach meaning they only have to contribute half his wages towards FFP.

Oh i see, thanks for explaining. I assumed he'd signed for Derby on the cheap because he wanted to become a coach

6 minutes ago, cityred2000 said:

For me if you have a player like Rooney he has to play as a 10. Why have him dictating the play from an 8 position when you could have him in that hole further up the pitch pulling the strings? Also as an 8 he’s simply too old to keep tracking back so can be found out in that sense too.

Oh well what do I know, eh?

Derby overload the centre of the pitch and withdraw Rooney into a sort of pivot role where he can drop off and be a constant option. He was that constant option and controlled midfield tonight. He will be 35 this year and in this role he saves his legs. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I could.

He was a complete failure that night, and then swore at the fans at the end of the game and was generally a teat.

Come to think of it, he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

I was in Cape Town for the Algeria game in 2010. I was also in Lisbon and Coimbra at Euro 2004 when Rooney was outstanding - and quite possibly the best player in the tournament.  

However much I was annoyed at Rooney in 2010, it’s wide of the make to say he was rubbish at every major championship England played at. 

16 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Leave it with being old...Ronaldo is 34 too and he runs and scores a lot, Robben too.

Robben looked old at 20.

Edited by AppyDAZE

22 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I could.

I was there. 

I started the clap when he came over to take the corner early on. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 1

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Derby overload the centre of the pitch and withdraw Rooney into a sort of pivot role where he can drop off and be a constant option. He was that constant option and controlled midfield tonight. He will be 35 this year and in this role he saves his legs. 

Saw this as well, but I almost felt as if they were missing his creativity moving forwards. Mainly because the front 4 or 5 were waiting for him to do something.

It was obvious he's played at the top level. His movement, cute passes to keep possession and a few dangerous incisive balls over the top.

Felt from Derby's perspective he was a bit wasted playing so deep, would cause defences more to think about in a 10 playing a free role between the lines. Dangerous from dead balls too.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Thought he was Class..but if I were playing I'd have kicked him off the park. Unlike Smith who wanted to be his best mate all game, in the same way LJ fawned all over Bielsa 

Just need a slow Mo video of Smith and Rooney to Titanic music on Valentine's day to top it off...seriously embarrassing by our captain tonight. Watch highlights on Sky.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Thought he was Class..but if I were playing I'd have kicked him off the park. Unlike Smith who wanted to be his best mate all game, in the same way LJ fawned all over Bielsa 

Just need a slow Mo video of Smith and Rooney to Titanic music on Valentine's day to top it off...seriously embarrassing by our captain tonight. Watch highlights on Sky.

Nicholas tipped him over at least twice, I don’t think WR got a free kick...

• Like 1

For someome his size he was never going bomb up and down he been playing that deep role since joining derby i think they realised he wouldnt be fit enough for 90 mins in an advanced role, thought he was different class makes things look so easy and always had time on the ball and his set pieces were dangerous aswell 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Every team, including us, has a player chirping in the referees ear all night. Usually for us it's Andi Weimann. 

He was grabbing and near assaulting the ref. Cant believe he didnt have a yellow shoved in his face!

He had an excellent first 20 mins but faded from then on. His passing was excellent - albeit we gave him far too much space. That said as a CDM he is such a luxury player - he didn’t make a tackle all night & had no legs for chasing back. It’s a ‘No’ from me!

• Like 2

I thought he was short, a bit slow and podgy. 

Hang on - that’s what they said about Puskás before the match when Hungary beat England 6-3 at Wembley 

We didn't give him space  he made his own. Just drifted off his marker and therefore was never under pressure when the ball was played to him. Very clever movement but wasn't really a threat.

Good but nervy win tonight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Edited by fairweather
Already covered

7 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I was there. 

I started the clap when he came over to take the corner early on. 

You shouldn’t be spreading that down the gate . :fear:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cardy said:

He had an excellent first 20 mins but faded from then on. His passing was excellent - albeit we gave him far too much space. That said as a CDM he is such a luxury player - he didn’t make a tackle all night & had no legs for chasing back. It’s a ‘No’ from me!

He did not play as a CDM. He was moving from deep short and wide in positions that were not defensive.. 

Edited by Cowshed

I understand that Rooney is due in with the DCFC physio team at 0900hrs this morning to have copious amounts of cream applied to his butt cheeks.  It seems that they are somewhat scorched from all of the smoke blown up there last night by Parry and Hendrie.  

To be fair, I did enjoy watching him knocking the ball out to wide men, he still has skills not seen too often in this division but I'm glad that he was on the losing side!

COYR

10 hours ago, nickolas said:

So, what we thinking?!

Thought he was ok, they were so obvious playing everything through him. 
However, what a self obsessed moaning ####er! Spent the entire game moaning at the referee. 
Billy big bollox didnt get what he wanted tonight. 

Did anyone attempt to tackle him (or any other Derby player)? 

The tactic was "run towards player and stop 5 yards before getting there and watch, leaving enough space for them to pass" 

• Like 2